Finger Joints that aren't 90 degrees - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 02-07-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Wood Mangler

View hedorah99's Photo Album My Photos
Finger Joints that aren't 90 degrees

First off, I am really new at all this. I am teaching myself slowly.

Currently I am building a little coffin shaped box for a friend. It's going to be made out of 1/4" thick oak. I am having a hell of a time figuring how to do the corners. I was thinking about using finger/box joints to join the corners. Has anyone used finger joints for a non-90 degree angle, and if so how did you do it? Or should I abandon this idea altogether and just try something more traditional?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedorah99 View Post
Or should I abandon this idea altogether and just try something more traditional?

That's what I would do.

post #3 of 14 Old 02-07-2011, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Wood Mangler

Do you have any advice for gluing up the corners? They are 49/49 82/70 and 55/55. It's because I am working with only 1/4" thick stock that I am having problems. Or should I just try using 1/2" stock and biscuits instead?

Last edited by hedorah99; 02-07-2011 at 05:41 PM.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Old School

Quote:
Do you have any advice for gluing up the corners? They are 49/49 82/70 and 55/55. It's because I am working with only 1/4" thick stock that I am having problems.

You might get away with box joints. The problem you might have is fingers may show on the inside, if the angle is obtuse. Picture interlacing your fingers on both hands and then opening up your palms a bit. You can see what might happen. As for the outsides of acute angles, just make the fingers longer, and then after assembly sand them back. You may see slight openings at the base of the fingers.

If you cut the joints allowing for the angles, there would be fitment inside and out. That's all in your setup, which can be a PITA. Another choice would be to lay out the box and figure for dovetails.

post #5 of 14 Old 02-07-2011, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Wood Mangler

If I just choose to cut the miters and glue them together, abandoning the finger joints all together, how should I go about that?
post #6 of 14 Old 02-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Old School

Quote:
If I just choose to cut the miters and glue them together, abandoning the finger joints all together, how should I go about that?

If you can use ½", that would give you better gluing surface. You would also need either a table saw, CMS, or a SCMS. Or, if you have an adjustable miter box and a back saw, that would work.

Each piece to the joint will have a miter cut that's half of the degrees of the corner. IOW, for a 90°, each would be 45°. If it's 80° they would be 40°, etc.

An interesting detail once the box is together would be to cut "keys" into the corners. This image is the basic principle, but cut the keyway after the box is glued up.

post #7 of 14 Old 02-07-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Wood Mangler

Cool, I've got the angle part, it's just the actual assembly. I have band clamps but it's hard to get the pieces to keep shape when pressure is applied. Thank you for all the help, by the way. It is appreciated. I have been met with some less than friendly reception at some other sites.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-08-2011, 07:52 AM

View TGRANT's Photo Album My Photos
Angled finger joints are not really that hard - it’s a bit of a fussy set up but there is no real trick to it. If you can get a hold of it, Tage Frid’s book ‘Tage Frid Teaches Woodworking - Joinery’ has a demonstration on how to do this, and he describes it better than I can, though if you can’t find it I’ll give it a try. The spline miter described by Cabinetman might be easier and will look similar. If the joints are well cut you can hold the assembly together with a band clamp after gluing.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-08-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Wood Mangler

Thanks Tgrant!
post #10 of 14 Old 02-08-2011, 06:30 PM

Hedorah99
You are welcome. By the way, I wasn’t quite clear in my last post. The band clamp won’t work with box joints since a little bit of the joint extends out, and the band clamp will push the joint open. The band clamp is for holding the mitered joint.
Also - since you are new at woodworking and teaching yourself, I’d throw this in. Don’t be afraid of making some mistakes. Practice on some scrap and if you make a mistake, toss the piece and try to remember what you did so you can learn. I’ve screwed up hundreds of times and will no doubt will screw up again. Don’t be afraid of angled joints - there is nothing magical about 90 degrees.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-14-2011, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Wood Mangler

Thanks for all the help. I went with using 1/2" stock and just mitering the edges and using a band clamp. I think it looks better than a finger joint. As soon as I figure out how to post a picture I'll let you guys laugh at my high school wood shop project.

Thanks again everyone!
post #12 of 14 Old 02-14-2011, 05:49 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedorah99
First off, I am really new at all this. I am teaching myself slowly.

Currently I am building a little coffin shaped box for a friend. It's going to be made out of 1/4" thick oak. I am having a hell of a time figuring how to do the corners. I was thinking about using finger/box joints to join the corners. Has anyone used finger joints for a non-90 degree angle, and if so how did you do it? Or should I abandon this idea altogether and just try something more traditional?
If you really want to do an agled box joint it can be done on a RAS... blade set on side and arm at desired angle with dado blade...

Never found a reason to do this...

Just say'n, lol
post #13 of 14 Old 02-15-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
If you really want to do an agled box joint it can be done on a RAS... blade set on side and arm at desired angle with dado blade...

Perhaps I’m overly cautious, but when I saw that method described in a magazine, it looked scary, though in the article the method seemed to be a straightforward way to cut the joint. The blade spinning on it’s side looks dangerous to me as the left hand seems excessively exposed (in the usual set up with the blade on the left side of the motor that is). I’d suggest this method should be used only by those very experienced in using a RAS. I’ve never done it either.
post #14 of 14 Old 12-21-2011, 07:17 PM

View mattar12's Photo Album My Photos
This site talks about angle box joints

I haven't done it yet, but I found this about making angle box joints...

http://www.routerworkshop.com/angleboxjt.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode