18 Gauge Brad Nailer or 16 gauge Finish Nailer for joining 3/4" stock - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 04-25-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

View Goldglv's Photo Album My Photos
18 Gauge Brad Nailer or 16 gauge Finish Nailer for joining 3/4" stock

I've been reading some threads about when to use a brad nailer and when to use a finish nailer but I'm still a little confused about when to use which one.

I'm making a box beam shelf right now and just want to attach the side stiles to the bottom of the shelf that and I'm not sure which nailer to use.

I'm planning on using glue as well. I have a Porter Cable 18 gauge brad nailer that will fire up to 1 1/4" brads. My 16 gauge finish nailer will fire longer nails.

The stock I'm using is 3/4" No.2 pine. Would the 1 1/4 brads be long enough to attach the stiles to the bottom of the shelf? Or should I go to the finish nailer and use 1 1/2" finish nails?

The rule of thumb I've been reading is that 3/4 of the nail should go into the receiving stock and that won't be the case with the brads so I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for any advice....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-25-2010, 10:25 PM

View jlord's Photo Album My Photos
If the stile is not holding or supporting any weight & basically just decorative use the brads with good glue coverage. Wipe of any glue squeeze out.

James
Whittier, CA.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should!
post #3 of 5 Old 04-25-2010, 10:31 PM

View chubbyhubby's Photo Album My Photos
Most of the time, brads/nails are good for keeping the pieces together while the glue dries. After it dries, the brads/nails don't really do much. CH
post #4 of 5 Old 04-25-2010, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

View Goldglv's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies. The stiles won't be holding up the shelf, just decorative. I will have a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 ledger screwed into the studs. I will then slide the shelf over the ledger(there's an opening in the middle of the shelf to accept the ledger), I will then screw the top of the shelf into the ledger with screws.

So brads would be ok just to hold while the glue dries?

Also is there any links/websites which goes into more detail on when to use brads and when to use finish nails?
post #5 of 5 Old 04-26-2010, 08:24 AM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
[QUOTE=The rule of thumb I've been reading is that 3/4 of the nail should go into the receiving stock and that won't be the case with the brads so I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for any advice....[/QUOTE]

That's a good rule IF both pieces are the same thickness.
Generally, I pick a fastener that is the next size shorter than the combined thickness of the two pieces to be joined. If you do a lot of nailing, pick up a selection from 1/2" to 2" in 1/4" increments.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode