The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Neul For This Useful Post:
Toolman50 (11-01-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-31-2016, 11:36 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I been doin' it that way for years

A 4" hole will allow your hand to get inside and reach for wires etc. I then glue a 2" wide drywall or wood backer inside the hole held with 2 drywall screws. When the glue is set up, I replace the plug back in the hole and fill the gap with compound. Sand it flush and you can't tell it was ever there.... PS, I didn't watch the video so .....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #3 of 11 Old 11-01-2016, 03:58 AM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Huh, neat. Ill have to keep this one in mind

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail

post #4 of 11 Old 11-01-2016, 06:47 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
A 4" hole will allow your hand to get inside and reach for wires etc. I then glue a 2" wide drywall or wood backer inside the hole held with 2 drywall screws. When the glue is set up, I replace the plug back in the hole and fill the gap with compound. Sand it flush and you can't tell it was ever there.... PS, I didn't watch the video so .....
This technique works on a wide range of hole sizes. Use multiple backers on larger holes. Difficult to do with hole much smaller than 2".

George
post #5 of 11 Old 11-01-2016, 07:20 AM

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I use these, quick, not as cheap though.

https://smile.amazon.com/Walboard-To...=drywall+patch
post #6 of 11 Old 11-01-2016, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
What I've been doing is cut the hole square and screw a couple 1x2's over the back side of the hole for the patch. Then a little mesh tape and it's ready for mud.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-01-2016, 08:26 AM

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
What I've been doing is cut the hole square and screw a couple 1x2's over the back side of the hole for the patch. Then a little mesh tape and it's ready for mud.
That's the way I've done it for years, basically any scrap I have laying around that will take a screw, ply seems to work best as solid material tends to split. Depending on the patch, and what scrap I have I will sometimes bridge the hole, or just make support "fingers" that come in from the edge.

For smaller one or two hole patches I go with the pre-made ones I listed above. Not cheap material wise, but really cheap time wise, peal and stick...
post #8 of 11 Old 11-01-2016, 08:26 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
the hole saw won't won't if ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
If you already have a small hole to repair and can get the pilot started just away from the hole, the hole saw WILL work. If not, you'll need to cut a rectangular hole and use Steve's method. The hole saw method does eliminate measuring and fitting a scrap in an irregular size hole.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #9 of 11 Old 11-01-2016, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
My only issue with the hole saw method as shown in the video is when he was tearing off the excess rock from around the center plug you could see he was tearing the paper loose in spots on the plug too. This would create a void in the paper that would show up when you mud over it. He must have worked some glue under the paper not shown in the video.

Even using the hole saw I think I would be inclined to put wood behind the patch.
post #10 of 11 Old 11-01-2016, 10:34 AM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
Using a hole saw on dry wall, I run the drill backwards until it cuts through the paper, then run it forward to complete the cut. Makes for a much cleaner "exposed side" cut.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikechell For This Useful Post:
woodnthings (11-01-2016)
post #11 of 11 Old 11-01-2016, 12:48 PM

View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
It is what it is, another way to patch a hole, probably used more by apartment maintenance people than the average home owner due to the simplicity of only needing a random thickness of drywall to do the job.

Chances are that I will have forgotten about the method next time I have to patch a hole and just use my backer board system again.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode