New here - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 10-13-2011, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

View Jeffk's Photo Album My Photos
New here

Hi,

I'm Jeff, from Indiana where my wife and i live and work, and from Northern Minnesota where we spend a month or two each summer. I've been building the odd pieces of furniture over the years, like beds and desks for our two boys as they were growing up, some bedroom furniture for ourselves, and deck and docks for Minnesota cabin. Lately it's been beds and furniture for the boys as they're setting up their apartments.

The latest projects were for our older son's small NYC apartment. One was a a compact entertainment center. Another was a queen size bed -- headboard, frame, and footboard - that had to break down to fit inside his compact car, then be carried up two flights of narrow staircase. Right now I'm working on a small dutch pullout table. These have been fun projects for the challenge of building something nice but which works well in 500 sq ft. Did these in unstained hard maple to keep a contemporary urban look.

Next up the wife wants a couple of Morris chairs for the Minnesota cabin. We let the cabin freeze in the winter, and we keep it pretty simple and plain up there. So I'm doing a little design work on these chairs to keep the costs down (no QS white oak for these), but otherwise want to keep the traditional arts & crafts look. I'm thinking of just using fir for the whole project, resawing to laminate the curved arms. My wife enjoys the finishing work, and I enjoy the design/construction part. So they are all 'team' projects.

My shop is pretty small, and pretty much self taught. I'll cut a mortise and tenon if I have to, but try to keep joinery simple with either dowels, pocket screws, or biscuits, depending on the situation. The Jessem dowel jig was my latest investment.

Last edited by Jeffk; 10-13-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-13-2011, 06:54 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
post #3 of 5 Old 10-13-2011, 12:21 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome, show us some pictures of your work!

~tom ...it's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt...
post #4 of 5 Old 10-26-2011, 03:40 AM

View lan Bell's Photo Album My Photos
Hi i am Lan Bell. I am very after joining this forum. i am new here.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-26-2011, 12:40 PM

View Texas Sawduster's Photo Album My Photos
Welcome from Texas !!!

Welcome to the forum.

Tools are like guns, You can never have enough.
Where did I put that tape measure???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode