Making a gun stock need help - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 01-25-2012, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

View woodchucker71's Photo Album My Photos
Making a gun stock need help

Im wanting to build a gun stock and have no experiance in doing so.I need advice.Maybe a link to watch a video or a book on the subject.Any sugestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-25-2012, 10:57 PM

View bigcouger's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to bigcouger Send a message via Skype™ to bigcouger
U tube type in search gun stock making a lot comes up

All Pictures Posted by Bigcouger are owned by Roy Millsaps an is not to be copied or used with advertisements without the written consent of said person. Pictures are here to help guide you in your woodworking abilities an to encourage you in your wood working hobbies, not to be copied
Thank you
post #3 of 11 Old 01-25-2012, 11:00 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
Invest in a XYZ CNC machine...

Seriously though, do you have woodworking experience and the tools? That's a pretty tall feat even for the experienced wood worker. The tolerances can be quite demanding. Also, what type of stock? Hand gun? Rifle? Do you have the original to copy? Have you tried the evil GOOGLE that houses gazilions of info?

Details!... I just spent more time on a answer with no answers than ya did in your question because of it's vagueness.

Plenty here happy and waiting to help, help us help you.

--------------------------------------------- one day I'll be so good that I won't need this forum any longer... then I'll know I have full onset Dementia! ~tom
post #4 of 11 Old 01-26-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

need help gun stock

im making a butt stock for a savage 12 gauge pump model 520.And yes i have the old stock. I have general knowledge in carpentry but not much in wood working or crafts.Im looking later on in the summer to invest in some tools band saw table saw drill press ect. also could use some advice on what brands to buy on an lemeted budget.IM a person if i see someone do it i can do it. thanks
post #5 of 11 Old 01-26-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

tried that does'nt go into to much detail
post #6 of 11 Old 01-26-2012, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

making gun stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcouger View Post
U tube type in search gun stock making a lot comes up
i tried that does'nt go into no detail
post #7 of 11 Old 01-26-2012, 08:55 PM
In History is the Future

View firemedic's Photo Album My Photos
If you have the old one... What's wrong with it? Would it be better to repair it? Can you hold it and visualize what needs to happen to a square block for it to become a stock?

The butt stock for a shotgun shouldn't be to difficult, the fore stock will be QUITE tricky though. Have you removed them to inspect the machining required to make it?

--------------------------------------------- one day I'll be so good that I won't need this forum any longer... then I'll know I have full onset Dementia! ~tom
post #8 of 11 Old 01-26-2012, 09:13 PM
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
I've seen books on gunstock carving, and books on gunsmithing - the metalworking part - and I remember watching a video on seating a barel in a stock, but I don't think I've ever seen anything on how to make a gunstock itself. You may try going to ABE books and doing an advanced search on different topics and related words - gunsmithing, gunstocks, gun repair etc until something pops up.

Insert witty signature line here.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-26-2012, 09:25 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
it's a complex shape

It will require templates to keep the stock symetrical and even on both sides as well as a profile template for the general shape.
A bandsaw would be useful for the major shape, then rasps for rounding it over and a really good vise to hold the piece. You even leaving it the rectangular part extended a bit so you can work in it and still hold it in the vise. Then cut it free later.
I suggest doing one in Pine or Poplar or other soft wood before I tried it in Walnut.
Here's a site for templates: http://www.burlsandmore.com
/Gunstock-Blank-Layout-Templates.php

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-26-2012 at 09:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
woodchucker71 (01-29-2012)
post #10 of 11 Old 01-27-2012, 04:28 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
There are several ways to get into stock making.......keep digging and you'll come across something that will work into your shop's profile.

But reason for post was to help steer you in a slightly different direction.Do some digging/research on shotgun "fit".Because of the way you shoot a shotgun,its fit is of way more concern than a rifle.

I realize you just want to make a replacement.......my point is by understanding and studying how or what makes a good "fit"......it opens the door to understanding the "whys and whats" as it apply's to the techniques and equip needed to accomplish your task.Best of luck,BW

Google,Brownells.....they're an invaluable gunsmith/tradesman Co.

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to BWSmith For This Useful Post:
post #11 of 11 Old 01-27-2012, 10:59 AM

View Itchy Brother's Photo Album My Photos
As for tools,do a lot of research,new?,used? If used craigslist could save you a lot of money but you must be careful and check it out real well.Lots of junk for sale there but a few good deals as a lot of people a hard up and have to sell their tools to make the bills.

***For the record*** Ive made hundreds of guitar bodies,never put one together and cant play a note.
The Following User Says Thank You to Itchy Brother For This Useful Post:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode