Woodworking Talk banner

Hello from 10,000 Islands, Florida

1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  johnep 
#1 ·
My wife wants a farm table (bad). Looked at buying one, decided to build one instead. Looking to buy some basic shop tools and would like some help on what to buy (table saw, miter saw etc.)

Thanks and look forward to hearing from folks!

Stevehttp://www.woodworkingtalk.com/images/WoodworkingTalk_2016/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png

#3 ·
Well so far my wife has picked out a DIY Pete farm table. Really basic and would certainly like to tweek the design a bit. I hate to buy tools twice. Don't want professional grade tools but certainly want good quality. First off would be a good miter saw.

Thanks!

#4 ·
A nice farm table can be made with hand tools or machine tools.
A saw and a hand plane with hand tools or a table saw, joiner and router with machine tools.
You will need bar clamps.
Your choice of wood and your plan will determine the look of your farm table.

#15 ·
Ah Naples, one of my favourite places. Loved to stroll on the pier and talk to people. Met a couple retired from New York. A bit lonely in their apartment as most of the others were only occupied in the winter. We were staying at the Edgewater Beach. I was told that many of the hotels being converted into apartments as more profitable.
So how do you get on with the midges?
johnep

#16 ·
Johnep,

Not much use for midges lately, but did live in Montana for 5 years and they got a workout then.

So John, spending a lot of time on the computer researching what to get to set up a beginner woodworker shop. I will have about 12' x 12' that my wife will let me have in the garage. What table saw, miter saw and planer should I get. I hate to buy things twice, I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want to get throw away items either. Found a Bosch 4000 portable table saw for $250, any thoughts? Was also looking at a new Bosch or Makita 10" sliding miter saw. Am I on the right track?

https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/tls/5672766748.html

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.