Woodworking Talk banner

Need Sketchup help, anyone?

4K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  VIFmike 
#1 ·
I really enjoy helping out people on this forum. If anybody's got a question about Sketchup, let it be known that I check this forum a few times a week for new topics. I'd love to know what people are struggling with in Sketchup. I don't mind posting some screen shots with a step by step indication on how to do something.

So, if you've got a Sketchup question, create a new topic, describe the problem, and I'll pick up on it and try to provide a clear answer for you. I really love Sketchup I'm disappointed to know so many people who don't like it. So let me know what you've got!

#3 · (Edited)
Trimble Sketchup

I actually created an entire site about Sketchup going over to Trimble. But I'm really excited. I think Trimble is going to have a lot more momentum behind Sketchup than everybody thinks. They are involved with some very cool technology, and I think their expertise will be applied very nicely to the future development of the Sketchup platform.

As far as Sketchup remaining free, they have stated that they will continue to support the large community of users who use the free version, and will continue to offer a free version of Sketchup. That makes me happy. I never would've learned 3D modeling if it weren't for the free Sketchup.

#6 ·
If you are looking for a good tutorial, I'd recommend Fine Woodworking's Sketchup Guide for Woodworkers. I obtained a copy a couple of months ago, went through the whole guide (145 pages) and I felt it game me a real foundation for doing almost anything in Sketchup. Of course there are many other shorter tutorials out there that are excellent as well including those on MSketcher's site.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Know any plugins that provide actual curves. I loved using it for CNC work but the multi line curves bring the machine to a screaming halt. If I could find a plugin for that it would be huge.

It would also be cool if there was a plugin to find closed loops, dead loops and the like automatically.

Don't know if you have been keeping up with the plugins, but you probably have more than me, any word on such pugins?

#10 ·
mics_54 said:
Weld works ok, problem is it welds a 200 line curve. If you have ever watched g code on a screen you have never scene some go by so fast as 200 commands in about 1 second. The weld definitely smooths the machine but it would be nice for it to be an actual curve.

Sketchup is an awesome design tool, if I were a smarter man I would work on the code, sadly I am not.

#11 ·
Thanks MSketcher for sharing

your knowledge on using Sketchup. I'm new on this forum and have very limited use of Sketchup. I subscribed to your site for the tutorials and hopefully will gain the ability to be an adept user of this particular CAD. Thanks again for sharing.
Roger

#12 ·
Thanks for Subscribing

your knowledge on using Sketchup. I'm new on this forum and have very limited use of Sketchup. I subscribed to your site for the tutorials and hopefully will gain the ability to be an adept user of this particular CAD. Thanks again for sharing.
Roger
Roger,

Thank you for subscribing to my site! I hope you'll find it helpful in your quest to become a Sketchup modeler. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with.

#14 ·
What do I know about Ruby?

Ruby is something I have no experience in. I do know some programming, so I could probably make sense of some code if I looked at it, but I have never created a plugin or anything like that. If I were you, I'd check out Sketchucation.com. They have a huge resource over on their forum, and I know there are a ton of people who know a lot about developing Ruby scripts for Sketchup.

#15 ·
I never used it before. I just watched the tutorial and followed the guide and created the house it shows how to draw. Man that is easy once you know how to use it. wow I learned so much so quickly. It basically does everything for you.

I am impressed. My boss uses this for designing truck bodies and other things. I have been using Solidworks dwg editor for drawing 2D plates etc but I had no clue how he was coming up with all these cool items. Now I am starting to see!

Looks like I will have to get up to speed on this. thanks for the info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.