Decking Question from a Novice - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 11-26-2016, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

View JosephofTexas's Photo Album My Photos
Decking Question from a Novice

Would using 1x6 redwood boards be acceptable for decking panels?

I am trying to plan out my new deck and in the process of figuring out my materials, I am noticing that my local Home Depot and Lowes only sell redwood in their "decking" as 2x6s. It seems all the composites come in 1 inch thick, as well as a lot of the pressure treated soft woods. I went online to look for other options an in researching redwood grades I noticed a "deck heart" and "deck common" which only come int 2x6s.

I was thinking of ordering 1x6 heart B for my deck; so back to the original question, would this work, or is there a reason my local lumber stores only sell it as 2x6 for decking? Would 1x6 be sturdy enough?

Thank you for any help,

Joseph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-26-2016, 07:24 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
You'll have to frame your deck on 12" centers to use 1x6 redwood for a deck. The wood is too soft for 16" centers being 3/4" thick. It's why the decking comes in 2x6's. You could use the cheaper pressure treated pine for the framing where it doesn't show. It's far stronger anyway.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-26-2016, 09:10 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
deck post spacing

I frame all my decks using 4" X 4" posts, 32" on center. I then use two joists on each post, one on either side. I like how it looks and that method reduces the "open span" between them. By adding 1 /1/2" X 2 or 3" for the joists the actual span becomes 32" minus 3" or 29". The only Redwood deck I even made was 40 years ago, it was cheaper back then and I used the same double joist method with 2" X 6" deck planks.

KInda like this with the posts sawn off flush:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

post #4 of 7 Old 11-28-2016, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Steve,

Thanks for the reply and tips. Turns out the supplier I am looking at is selling 2x6 redwood decking boards for significantly cheaper than their 1x6 boards, so I think I will just go with the standard 2x6.

Joseph
post #5 of 7 Old 11-28-2016, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Thank you sir, I will check out this design as I am planning.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-28-2016, 09:15 AM

View Pineknot_86's Photo Album My Photos
Good luck on the deck. Good info here.
Wood magazine had an interesting comparison of different material for decking. I recall that the synthetic decking had a lot of advantages but the article said that it gets very hot compared to other materials.

Marriage is like a deck of cards. In the beginning, all you need is two hearts and a diamond. Later, you wish you had a club and a spade.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-28-2016, 09:32 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephofTexas View Post
Steve,

Thanks for the reply and tips. Turns out the supplier I am looking at is selling 2x6 redwood decking boards for significantly cheaper than their 1x6 boards, so I think I will just go with the standard 2x6.

Joseph
Just keep in mind redwood gets to looking pretty bad with lack of maintenance. Be sure to re-treat the deck often with what ever deck sealant you use. Here is one that got there someone is refinishing.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode