Trouble With Lid Support - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 7 Old 11-18-2011, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

View RookieWorker's Photo Album My Photos
Trouble With Lid Support

Guys this is my first post here because I need the advice of some guys with more knowledge on this stuff than me! I just finished building a toy box this week. I ordered 2 of the toy box lid supports from Rockler, both mount to the back wall of the box and up to the lid. I went directly by their installation instructions, but I didn't realize the instructions are for a 3/4" back wall. When I installed them on my box the lid will not close all the way, likes about 4 or 5 inches from closing! I know this has something to do with my box not having a 3/4" back wall but I don't know how to make these supports work for my box?? My box has a 3/4" plywood back wall and it has a piece of 1X4 Poplar trim all the way around the top attached to the back of the box. My piano hinge is mounted to the poplar trim. What can I do to make the supports work? I can post pics if it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieWorker View Post
Guys this is my first post here because I need the advice of some guys with more knowledge on this stuff than me! I just finished building a toy box this week. I ordered 2 of the toy box lid supports from Rockler, both mount to the back wall of the box and up to the lid. I went directly by their installation instructions, but I didn't realize the instructions are for a 3/4" back wall. When I installed them on my box the lid will not close all the way, likes about 4 or 5 inches from closing! I know this has something to do with my box not having a 3/4" back wall but I don't know how to make these supports work for my box?? My box has a 3/4" plywood back wall and it has a piece of 1X4 Poplar trim all the way around the top attached to the back of the box. My piano hinge is mounted to the poplar trim. What can I do to make the supports work? I can post pics if it helps.

Pictures would help and the product number for the supports.

post #3 of 7 Old 11-18-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! The supports are found here on the Rockler site: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=410 I will also attempt to post a couple picks, one before and one after the trim was added. Thats all I have right now, but you can see how the back wall thickness was affected.
Attached Images

post #4 of 7 Old 11-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Old School

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! The supports are found here on the Rockler site: http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=410 I will also attempt to post a couple picks, one before and one after the trim was added. Thats all I have right now, but you can see how the back wall thickness was affected.
The back thickness is not important, as long as it's at least 3/4". with whatever hinge you use, you may have to adjust the mounting points. Did you see the installation details :
http://www.rockler.com/tech/RTD10000419AB.pdf

post #5 of 7 Old 11-18-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Yes, those are the instructions I went by to mount the supports. One of their tech people has actually replied to me that the reason the lid is not closing is that their instructions are meant for a 3/4" inch back wall and with my trim its making mine too thick. Other suggestions I have had from other forums included cutting out notches so the supports could mount to the back of the poplar trim, mounting a small piece of the 1X4 poplar to the underside of the lid to attach the supports to offset the thickness of the back wall, and then to just move the mount down further on the back wall losing some of the opening space when fully opened but allowing the lid to close. Any thoughts on those? Keep in mind, I am just a weekend/after work DIYer building this for my son, can't go too complicated on me here!!
post #6 of 7 Old 11-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Old School

Quote:
Yes, those are the instructions I went by to mount the supports. One of their tech people has actually replied to me that the reason the lid is not closing is that their instructions are meant for a 3/4" inch back wall and with my trim its making mine too thick. Other suggestions I have had from other forums included cutting out notches so the supports could mount to the back of the poplar trim, mounting a small piece of the 1X4 poplar to the underside of the lid to attach the supports to offset the thickness of the back wall, and then to just move the mount down further on the back wall losing some of the opening space when fully opened but allowing the lid to close. Any thoughts on those? Keep in mind, I am just a weekend/after work DIYer building this for my son, can't go too complicated on me here!!
It may take readjusting the mounting points to account for the thicker back. If their tech guy made a suggestion, that might be the easy answer.

post #7 of 7 Old 11-18-2011, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

I think thats probably going to be first attempt at fixing this problem. I just hate that I am probably going to have some holes to fill before i get it right!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode