Straight Line Rip Jig - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 07-04-2012, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

View eldaneo's Photo Album My Photos
Straight Line Rip Jig

I've recently aquired several BF of white oak, that has been face planed, but not straight lined. I found this link for a simple jig, http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/4283497

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on a better one, or if anyone has used something similar and had good luck with it. Once I get them straight lined one one side, I can run them through my table saw and get the other side.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldaneo View Post
I've recently aquired several BF of white oak, that has been face planed, but not straight lined. I found this link for a simple jig, http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/4283497

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on a better one, or if anyone has used something similar and had good luck with it. Once I get them straight lined one one side, I can run them through my table saw and get the other side.

Thanks for the help.
You could take it to the table saw first. To joint on the table saw, a very simple method would be to attach to the subject stock, a straight edge...could be thin plywood or Masonite, so the clean edge rides on the fence, and the edge of the subject stock goes through the blade.

To attach the straightedge, you can just nail it down on the wood's backside, with 4d finish nails...3 or 4 should be plenty.

post #3 of 10 Old 07-04-2012, 05:00 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
+1 with Cabinetman on using some other straight piece as a guide for the table saw.

If you do not want to attach with finish nails, use double sided tape. I have the wood turners double sided tape. This hold very well.

These days I will also attempt to straighten one edge of a rough lumber piece with my #5 jack plane. I can get close enough so this edge is used against the fence. Straighten the other edge then flip to finish the first edge.

Using a hand plane needs the board to be clamped with the edge up. May not be so easy for you.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-04-2012, 05:14 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
depending on how many pieces...

I needed to straight line many, actually dozens of pieces, so I made a "jig" rather than scab on strips each time, which is way too time consuming for me.... "snap on" then rip and "snap off'"...next piece...
I made two sizes,one long enough for 8 footers and a 54" for shorter boards. I used 1/4" hardboard for the bottom and a 1 X 3" piece of Oak for the toggles to mount on. It looks like this:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
brizak79 (07-06-2012)
post #5 of 10 Old 07-04-2012, 05:33 PM
where's my table saw?

Rockler has one

It's on sale:

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #6 of 10 Old 07-04-2012, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

View eldaneo's Photo Album My Photos
Do I need to do anything special to make this, except make sure that both the masonite and the oak is straight lined?
post #7 of 10 Old 07-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
If you do not want to attach with finish nails, use double sided tape. I have the wood turners double sided tape. This hold very well.
I've tried the double sided tape, and the only problems were with overly oily wood, or dust on the wood. I use the finish nails as I think it's safer. I nail the template (" ply or " tempered Masonite) on the back side of the wood (where the nail holes won't likely show), and it's run against the fence with the template on top. I prefer just the substrate for a straightedge, as it won't warp and it will stay straight, unlike using a piece of lumber. I don't find that it's too time consuming.

post #8 of 10 Old 07-04-2012, 08:54 PM
where's my table saw?

nope, just some toggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldaneo View Post
Do I need to do anything special to make this, except make sure that both the masonite and the oak is straight lined?
You can make some wing nut type clamps also. Most of my stock is 1" to 3/4" and rough sawn so a clamp with a range of 1/4" will work fine.

The Masonite or other 1/4" up to 1/2", substrate will have a "factory straight" edge if you rip a 10" wide piece. Then mount your Oak flush to that edge, screw it down and then rip the opposite edge, it should be straight.

You can instantly adjust the board in the jig for maximum material useage. You can also cut tapers by aligning the marks at the blade side of the jig and cutting flush with that edge. bill

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-04-2012 at 08:57 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
You can make some wing nut type clamps also. Most of my stock is 1" to 3/4" and rough sawn so a clamp with a range of 1/4" will work fine.

The Masonite or other 1/4" up to 1/2", substrate will have a "factory straight" edge if you rip a 10" wide piece. Then mount your Oak flush to that edge, screw it down and then rip the opposite edge, it should be straight.

You can instantly adjust the board in the jig for maximum material useage. You can also cut tapers by aligning the marks at the blade side of the jig and cutting flush with that edge. bill

As a courtesy.

post #10 of 10 Old 07-04-2012, 09:58 PM
where's my table saw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post

You can use clamps like these rather than toggles:
PVC Tipped Aluminum Hold Downs

These PVC Tipped Hold-Down Clamps feature non-marring PVC tips that are the perfect tool for working with softer woods, finished surfaces or for any stock that needs to kept in place. The PVC also gives you more gripping power when pressure is applied to your stock. This prevents slipping and walking of your wood especially when drilling on a drill press. Our PVC tipped hold downs come with a star knob and bolt and are available in the two most commonly used sizes of 1/4" x 20 and 3/8 x 16. .scription
Price
http://www.ptreeusa.com/holdDown_clamps.htm

Tags
circular saw, help needed, jig, straight line

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode