Woodworking Talk banner

Reduce thickness of a wooden cylinder

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  FrankC 
#1 ·
Hi guys.I am new in woodworking and i am new in this forum.I have to reduce the thickness of a cylinder only for a piece of its height.Cylinder's sizes are: 8cm height,6 cm diameter and 1 cm thickness.I have a drill press,a drill and a jigsaw.I have thought this.I do a hole in a piece of wood of the same diameter of the cylinder with the drill press and then I put the cylinder in that hole.In this way the cylinder is centered with the drill press.Then I mount a hole saw in the drill press with a diameter lower than the cylinder's diameter.In this way I can reduce the thickness of the cylinder.What do you think?Are there other methods?

#2 ·
What you have planned is as close to impossible as you can get and perhaps dangerous to use a drill press for a lathe. I think you need to acquire a lathe. You could do a lot with a cheap one and I think you would be happy to get one. It's the most fun piece of equipment in the wood shop.

#4 · (Edited)
It is dangerous, but possible

With your limited tooling, you have probably come up with a solution. The possibilities for error including slipping or grabbing are real. Using a hole saw in the end of a cylinder would require a substantial method of securing the cylinder. You are just centering the pilot hole in the end with your block, but that could also be done in other ways. Just be very cautious IF you decide to attempt this.

#8 ·
I would make up something to hold the cylinder.
Take a narrow board drill a hole for a bolt through the edge of it, cut a saw slot into where you will drill the hole for the cylinder.
Fasten this to a larger base with three screws, as shown, so you can clamp it to the drill press table.
Drill the hole for the cylinder, clamp the cylinder in the fixture by tightening the bolt.
Replace the bit with the hole saw and trim to required diameter.

Attachments

#9 ·
How much smaller in diameter does it need to be? If it's only 1/8" or so, make a jig to attach it to your drill or droll press, and just use sandpaper to remove material. Safer than a hole saw. Those things are a bit difficult to use even in the best of situations.

What's the end use? Does it have to be very long? What's the final diameter and length? Consider a spokeshave if it needn't be completely exactly perfect. Curved sole spokeshave, even.

#17 ·
Is the cylinder solid or hollow?

If you have a solid cylinder, just locate center by using a combination square and marking across the top to find the center. Use a center punch to start your pilot hole and then center that hole under the drill press. This is still a very tricky and potentially dangerous process. Depending on the investment in what you have done so far, you may be better off to start over using the correct diameter stock.... I donno?

If your cylinder is hollow forget about it. Too dangerous and a lathe is the only safe way. Frankly, if it's possible, start over with the correct diameters so you don't have the safety concerns. I have both a drill press and lathes so it would be an easy choice for me.

#18 ·
This from your first post:

It appeared that you had a drill bit to fit the outer dimension of the cylinder and a hole saw that would trim the top to your desired diameter, all you wanted was a way to secure the cylinder.

"I do a hole in a piece of wood of the same diameter of the cylinder with the drill press and then I put the cylinder in that hole.In this way the cylinder is centered with the drill press.Then I mount a hole saw in the drill press with a diameter lower than the cylinder's diameter.In this way I can reduce the thickness of the cylinder."

I suggested a way to accomplish what you wanted to do, the piece of wood acts as a clamp when a slot is cut into it and a bolt draws it tight, beyond that I am lost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.