Porter cable edge guide/circle router jig - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 27 Old 10-25-2012, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

View ponch37300's Photo Album My Photos
Porter cable edge guide/circle router jig

I used to have a jasper circle jig and loved it. It suffered a war wound and the plate cracked. I have wanted to replace it for a while now but just couldn't take another 50 bucks. Recently I had a situation where I could have used a router edge guide. So with those two reasons and seeing this, http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...del-42690.aspx at woodcraft the other day I pulled the trigger. It looks pretty nice, the circle feature won't be as nice as the jasper jig but I think it will do the job. The edge guide part seems like it will work really good.

Anyone have this and have an opinion of it good or bad? Just hoping I didn't make a bad purchase. Any tips on using it?

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-25-2012, 09:30 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
I used to have a jasper circle jig and loved it. It suffered a war wound and the plate cracked. I have wanted to replace it for a while now but just couldn't take another 50 bucks. Recently I had a situation where I could have used a router edge guide. So with those two reasons and seeing this, http://www.woodcraft.com/product/200...del-42690.aspx at woodcraft the other day I pulled the trigger. It looks pretty nice, the circle feature won't be as nice as the jasper jig but I think it will do the job. The edge guide part seems like it will work really good.

Anyone have this and have an opinion of it good or bad? Just hoping I didn't make a bad purchase. Any tips on using it?
Hi Ponch - nice edge guide, I've always kinda envied the micro adjust feature but not enough to pop for one yet. Wish you had waited shopping for one though.
http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.c...FemiPAodfj4ALg.

Unless specifically on sale, I've found woodcraft to be a bit on the spendy side... I've done the same thing many times though. Buy on impulse and then find it cheaper somewhere else.

As far as your Jasper goes, I just cloned my 400 in a piece of phenolic, old mouse tray from a computer desk. I used the old jig as a template and used a 1/2" hole the center so it doesn't bolt to the router. I just center up a 1/2" guide bushing and drop it on. Works pretty well as I can set up the pivot pin and install the jig on the correct pin before having to pick the router up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Circle jig bottom.jpg
Views:	2405
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	53719  

Click image for larger version

Name:	circle jig top.jpg
Views:	1324
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	53720  

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #3 of 27 Old 10-25-2012, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Hi Ponch - nice edge guide, I've always kinda envied the micro adjust feature but not enough to pop for one yet. Wish you had waited shopping for one though.
http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.c...FemiPAodfj4ALg.

Unless specifically on sale, I've found woodcraft to be a bit on the spendy side... I've done the same thing many times though. Buy on impulse and then find it cheaper somewhere else.

As far as your Jasper goes, I just cloned my 400 in a piece of phenolic, old mouse tray from a computer desk. I used the old jig as a template and used a 1/2" hole the center so it doesn't bolt to the router. I just center up a 1/2" guide bushing and drop it on. Works pretty well as I can set up the pivot pin and install the jig on the correct pin before having to pick the router up.
I've wanted an edge guide and circle jig for a while now and saw it there so grabbed it. It seems to get good reviews so I hope it will be worth the money. I saw it on amazon for the 39.99 price with free shipping but like you said it was more of an impulse buy.

That is a really nice jig you made and I like how it just uses a bushing to hold the router. One of the issues with my last jasper was getting it all lined up with a heavy router on it. I'm pretty sure I threw my jasper jig away but I will have to double check and maybe I can do like you did and "copy" the hole pattern. Did you just set the jasper on top of the plastic and drill threw will an 1/8" bit?

Thanks for your help
post #4 of 27 Old 10-25-2012, 10:55 PM
John

Quote:
I've wanted an edge guide and circle jig for a while now and saw it there so grabbed it. It seems to get good reviews so I hope it will be worth the money. I saw it on amazon for the 39.99 price with free shipping but like you said it was more of an impulse buy.

That is a really nice jig you made and I like how it just uses a bushing to hold the router. One of the issues with my last jasper was getting it all lined up with a heavy router on it. I'm pretty sure I threw my jasper jig away but I will have to double check and maybe I can do like you did and "copy" the hole pattern. Did you just set the jasper on top of the plastic and drill threw will an 1/8" bit?
Thank you
First thing I did was drill a 1/4" hole in the center of the new plate. I used a 1/4" bit and the setup alignment disc with the jasper to align them and secured the Jasper and the new plate together with carpet tape, then drilled all the pivot holes with a 1/8" bit. I then seperated the two and put a 1/4" bit in the drill press to get the position of the new plate right and clamped it to the drill press table. Switched to a half inch forstner bit and drilled the center hole in the new jig. All that took less than an hour, the next 2 hours were painting on the reference numbers and lines

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #5 of 27 Old 10-26-2012, 09:16 AM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
I have the PC edge guide, and like it. I never used it for circles. I use the one in the picture, that I made. Very simple. The slide arm can be replaced with a long one for big circles.
The slide rides in a t slot, and the red knob, is on a stud, that locks the slide.
Attached Images

post #6 of 27 Old 10-26-2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thank you
First thing I did was drill a 1/4" hole in the center of the new plate. I used a 1/4" bit and the setup alignment disc with the jasper to align them and secured the Jasper and the new plate together with carpet tape, then drilled all the pivot holes with a 1/8" bit. I then seperated the two and put a 1/4" bit in the drill press to get the position of the new plate right and clamped it to the drill press table. Switched to a half inch forstner bit and drilled the center hole in the new jig. All that took less than an hour, the next 2 hours were painting on the reference numbers and lines
Great new(for me at least)! I managed to find my broken jasper jig and the part that broke was the part under the router so all the pivot holes are still there. And it's the model 200 that goes from 2 1/4" to 18 3/16". So I can use it as a template to make a new one. Will have to see if I have some 1/4" plexi or something laying around. Did you use a drill press for the 1/8" pivot holes or is a hand drill good enough?

Thanks for the great idea, will save me 40 bucks if I can make my own using this one as a template. Then the porter cable will just be an edge guide but that's alright if I can get the homemade jasper jig!

EDIT: Well this might not work so well. Looks like 1/4 plexiglass is going to cost more than just buying a new jig! Wonder if I could make it out of 1/4" masonite or MDF or plywood to save some money? I have some 1/8" plexi but I don't think that will be thick enough or strong enough.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by ponch37300; 10-26-2012 at 06:27 PM.
post #7 of 27 Old 10-26-2012, 08:02 PM
John

Quote:
Great new(for me at least)! I managed to find my broken jasper jig and the part that broke was the part under the router so all the pivot holes are still there. And it's the model 200 that goes from 2 1/4" to 18 3/16". So I can use it as a template to make a new one. Will have to see if I have some 1/4" plexi or something laying around. Did you use a drill press for the 1/8" pivot holes or is a hand drill good enough?

Thanks for the great idea, will save me 40 bucks if I can make my own using this one as a template. Then the porter cable will just be an edge guide but that's alright if I can get the homemade jasper jig!

EDIT: Well this might not work so well. Looks like 1/4 plexiglass is going to cost more than just buying a new jig! Wonder if I could make it out of 1/4" masonite or MDF or plywood to save some money? I have some 1/8" plexi but I don't think that will be thick enough or strong enough.
Maybe you don't need to buy anything. Can you center it up well enough under the drill press to just drill the hole for the bushing? Can be any size bushing you want really. The 400 layout was limited to no larger than a 1/2" bushing or I would have knocked out the smaller circles which I use.

EDIT - How about a pic of the broken one.

John

Last edited by jschaben; 10-26-2012 at 08:06 PM.
post #8 of 27 Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Here is a picture. It would still be usuable as is but I'm not sure how good it would work only holding the router with two out of the three screws. Also might get caught on things.

Name:  jasper jig.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  39.8 KB

Thanks for your help
post #9 of 27 Old 10-26-2012, 09:46 PM
John

Quote:
Here is a picture. It would still be usuable as is but I'm not sure how good it would work only holding the router with two out of the three screws. Also might get caught on things.

Attachment 53804
Hi ponch - Looks like maybe that hole could be modified to take a bushing. With the bushing, nothing is attached to the router. Actually, the bushing rotates in the hole. I use the handle on my jig to rotate the jig around the pivot point. The router doesn't even change orientation. Real nice, no cord wrap.
Alternatively, you could copy that with 1/4" MDF with no problems. The clarity of polycarbonate or acrylic is nice but certainly not necessary.

John

post #10 of 27 Old 10-26-2012, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi ponch - Looks like maybe that hole could be modified to take a bushing. With the bushing, nothing is attached to the router. Actually, the bushing rotates in the hole. I use the handle on my jig to rotate the jig around the pivot point. The router doesn't even change orientation. Real nice, no cord wrap.
Alternatively, you could copy that with 1/4" MDF with no problems. The clarity of polycarbonate or acrylic is nice but certainly not necessary.
What thickness was your phenolic that you used?

Thanks for your help
post #11 of 27 Old 10-26-2012, 11:33 PM
John

Quote:
What thickness was your phenolic that you used?
right at 1/4", couldn't go any thinner, bushing barrel would drag, that or I would have had to file it down some.

John

post #12 of 27 Old 10-26-2012, 11:35 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I have the PC edge guide, and like it. I never used it for circles. I use the one in the picture, that I made. Very simple. The slide arm can be replaced with a long one for big circles.
The slide rides in a t slot, and the red knob, is on a stud, that locks the slide.
Can you reverse the slide so you can get the pivot closer or further away from the bit? Kind of a neat design.

John

post #13 of 27 Old 10-26-2012, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
right at 1/4", couldn't go any thinner, bushing barrel would drag, that or I would have had to file it down some.
Well I think I'm going to go the MDF or masonite route for now since it won't cost much. I'll have to see if I can find some 1/4" plexi some time down the road. But from what I have found a big enough sheet of plexi is going to cost as much as a new jasper jig. Maybe I will just use it how it is and see if it causes problems with the big chunk out of it.

Thanks for your help
post #14 of 27 Old 10-27-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Can you reverse the slide so you can get the pivot closer or further away from the bit? Kind of a neat design.
Yes the slide reverses. I've used it that way a few times.
post #15 of 27 Old 10-27-2012, 02:43 PM

Fwiw, here is a bottom picture. Also shows the recess for PC guides.
Attached Images

post #16 of 27 Old 10-27-2012, 03:14 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Fwiw, here is a bottom picture. Also shows the recess for PC guides.
Hi - now I'm baffled. You have it set up to install guide bushings on the jig?? Do you also use the jig as an offset base?? How do you use that?

John

post #17 of 27 Old 10-27-2012, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Another question after sleeping on this last night!

I have two sheets of 1/8" plexi laying around and also a 4x8 sheet of black abs plastic. Could I double either of these materials up and glue them together to make a 1/4" thick piece of stock to use to "copy" the jasper jig? Now that you gave me the idea of "copying" the jig I would really like to put something together since I loved that jasper jig. Money is kind of tight with other projects right now so don't really have the money for a new jasper jig or 1/4" material to make one which is almost as expensive as just buying a new jasper jig. Unless I make it out of wood but I think the plexi would be much more durable and hold up and slide better.

Thanks for your help
post #18 of 27 Old 10-27-2012, 05:33 PM
John

Quote:
Another question after sleeping on this last night!

I have two sheets of 1/8" plexi laying around and also a 4x8 sheet of black abs plastic. Could I double either of these materials up and glue them together to make a 1/4" thick piece of stock to use to "copy" the jasper jig? Now that you gave me the idea of "copying" the jig I would really like to put something together since I loved that jasper jig. Money is kind of tight with other projects right now so don't really have the money for a new jasper jig or 1/4" material to make one which is almost as expensive as just buying a new jasper jig. Unless I make it out of wood but I think the plexi would be much more durable and hold up and slide better.
Would probably need some kind of solvent glue (airplane glue) to glue up the plexiglass. Don't wee why you couldn't though.

John

post #19 of 27 Old 10-27-2012, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Would probably need some kind of solvent glue (airplane glue) to glue up the plexiglass. Don't wee why you couldn't though.
Thanks John. Maybe that is what I will do then, don't have much to lose. If I can use what I have and make a new jasper jig that would make my day. I've been bumming ever since mine broke and I can't take the money for a new one right now. I never even thought about using the old as a template, figured it was junk and I thought I had thrown it away until I decided to check after reading this thread!

Will the cement used for plastic model cars work? From what I have read you need a solvent glue which I believe the model car is?

Thanks agian I will see what I come up with and post my results.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by ponch37300; 10-27-2012 at 06:12 PM.
post #20 of 27 Old 10-27-2012, 07:44 PM
John

Quote:
Thanks John. Maybe that is what I will do then, don't have much to lose. If I can use what I have and make a new jasper jig that would make my day. I've been bumming ever since mine broke and I can't take the money for a new one right now. I never even thought about using the old as a template, figured it was junk and I thought I had thrown it away until I decided to check after reading this thread!

Will the cement used for plastic model cars work? From what I have read you need a solvent glue which I believe the model car is?

Thanks agian I will see what I come up with and post my results.
That's what I meant by airplane glue. Be carefull with it, to much you could end up with a real mess. I would just do the edges and some random spot throughout the face.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode