Woodworking Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking for plans on a vertical panel saw

240K views 60 replies 29 participants last post by  Icutone2 
#1 ·
I'm trying to find some plans on a vertical panel saw.Free would be nice but not mandatory.Looked up rocklers plans but the reviews looked really bad any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#6 ·
Let me know if you are still looking for some plans I just ran accross some that i will send to you for free via email if interested.
I wouldn't mind some of those. I've found quite a few plans out there and am leaning towards a rolling woodcart with an integrated panel cutting system from ShopNotes. Problem is, I have a perfect spot in my shop for a panel saw but no plan that's "quite right" yet.

#19 · (Edited)
I have the panel saw plans

I have the panel saw plans from the Shopnotes magazine.

I tried sending the panel saw plans to another guy and they are too large of a file to send over email. So instead, i'm just attaching the link and giving you directions on how to download them for free.

click on the link below, then click on green download button and that will send you to a new screen, then click the large blue file download button, which will send you to another screen, click on free user, which will send you to another screen, wait the 36 seconds, then click download.

A new screen will pop up and either click save to computer or open and save it later.

Here is the link to get started:
http://ineedfile.com/shopnotes-panel-saw

Enjoy your free panel saw plans!

Jake

#20 ·
Linear Bearings

I would change the design to incorporate linear bearings. This may add a little expense to the project, but it will greatly improve cut accuracy. Unless you want your panel saw to be a rough cut saw to break down sheet goods and not use it to dimension panels, I would change the design from u-clamps and homemade bearings.

#21 ·
I would change the design to incorporate linear bearings. This may add a little expense to the project, but it will greatly improve cut accuracy. Unless you want your panel saw to be a rough cut saw to break down sheet goods and not use it to dimension panels, I would change the design from u-clamps and homemade bearings.

do you have a site for the bearings? sounds interesting. Oh, I had the chance to buy a real Panel saw for $300.00 from a shop who put it on Facebook but I didnt go for it.. now im kicking myself!! :furious:

#27 ·
#29 · (Edited)
so, while at the Home Depot the other day, I looked at the bearing set up on their saw... it looks exactly like the one pictured in the plan in the beginning of this thread but the round "Spacer" type bearings look to be made of possibly a carbon type materiel. ... that would explain the sheet steel housing over them, carbon is a great bearing materiel but very fragile..they will chip and crack if hit.
Other than that its just a U-bolt type piece with a bunch of round discs about 1/4 inch thick on it....just like the pic in the beginning of this thread.

#30 ·
Accuracy of Panel Saws

I have never used a panel saw. HD used one to break down a couple sheets of plywood. I had to re-cut every piece because the cuts were off square.

I assumed it was because nobody cared and so many different users made cuts that this saw just wasn't aligned. But perhaps they are difficult to align for square and parallel cuts.

Without proper bearing surfaces and adjustment capabilities, it would be difficult to impossible to make precision cuts. If I were building one myself, I would design it to have adjustment capability for squareness to the base "fence" and for parallel cuts (if I wanted to rip a 4x8 sheet into 2'x8' strips for example).

This is why I would go for linear bearings on tracks or rods as opposed to using U-bolts and sections of pipe for roller bearings.

If you want one only for rough dimensioning, the original design even with the inherent inaccuracies would probably be a wise investment.

#32 ·
When i buy my sheet goods, I usually have a plan for what I need and have the panels cut at the store. Easier to handle and no money or space used on a panel saw. I recut (trim) the panels to final size as needed.(Of course it would be nice ..................
Hmmmm.. good point. lol. I think the wanting the saw is mainly for its "Coolness" factor..that and it will give us something fun to make. :yes:

I honestly dont NEED one, I just WANT one. what Id seriously really like is a bigger, better table saw!

#34 ·
Ripping Length of Sheet goods

Woodnthings makes a good point about needing 8 feet plus clearance on each side of the saw if you use a design that requires the sheet to be pushed through the saw.

There are two reasons why I would modify those designs for both north/south and east/west saw travel.

The first is safety. I intended to post this from the moment I realized most shop-built designs require the wood to be pushed for ripping. Now you essentially have a tablesaw turned vertical. Those designs are DANGEROUS. The opportunity for kickback is great with no splitters or anti-kickback devices. The piece above the cut is falling into the blade. With a carriage that moves both up/down and left/right, you are pushing the saw out of the wood as the cut finishes. Furthermore, you could insert a spacer in the kerf as you start it and 2/3 of the way into the cut to prevent a dangerous problem.

I know most people don't do this, but it only takes one kickback.

Secondly, Unless you have a large shop with nothing along a wall, it's hard enough finding 8-9 feet of available wall space.

If I ever decided to build a panel saw, I would make the design modifications I mentioned in previous posts including rails for travel left/right for ripping the sheet.

#35 ·
If I ever decided to build a panel saw, I would make the design modifications I mentioned in previous posts including rails for travel left/right for ripping the sheet.
I dont think it would be all that hard to do this actually.. you would just need a way to lock it down so it doesnt move while cutting, throwing off the cut. What about getting this? and somehow mounting it too a stand..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.