How to edge join MDF - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

1Likes
  • 1 Post By J_L

post #1 of 8 Old 04-20-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
How to edge join MDF

I am starting to plan building my router planing jig (Router planing jig), and am considering using 3/4" MDF for it.

I have never worked with MDF before, so I don't know what to look for or think about when using it.

So, what is the correct way to make an "L" corner using MDF, joining the edge of one piece to the face of the other piece? Just glue? Glue and screws? Glue and brads? No glue because glue would cause the MDF To swell? Something else?

HELP!

Last edited by Chris Curl; 04-20-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-20-2017, 09:59 AM

View bargoon's Photo Album My Photos
I use mdf all the time for jigs. I used to use biscuits and glue but now I just use Titebond III glue and 18ga brads. I've had no failures and the glue doesn't swell the mdf.
The Following User Says Thank You to bargoon For This Useful Post:
Chris Curl (04-20-2017)
post #3 of 8 Old 04-20-2017, 12:24 PM
J_L

View J_L's Photo Album My Photos
Most jigs I just screw together. MDF included. However, screwing into the edge of mdf can be tricky. You have to predrill before screwing otherwise it will split and separate around the screw. But predrill too much and the screw won't bite.

I typically use dewalts countersink bits with the stop collar set so the drill bit ends just shy of the screw length.
Toolman50 likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-20-2017, 10:52 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
Chris I pre-drilled pilot holes with a countersink bit, glued and screwed the "gantry" together. Hope this helps.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-04-12 17.54.44.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	291034  

The Following User Says Thank You to MT Stringer For This Useful Post:
Chris Curl (04-21-2017)
post #5 of 8 Old 04-21-2017, 02:04 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
3/4" mdf?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Curl View Post
I am starting to plan building my router planing jig (Router planing jig), and am considering using 3/4" MDF for it.

I have never worked with MDF before, so I don't know what to look for or think about when using it.

HELP!
If you buy a full 4 X 8 ft sheet of 3/4" MDF you will need a crane and a forklift to move it around. It's overkill for your planing jig because while 1/2" may bend of it's own accord, the minute you put the sides on it will stiffen right up. I would stay with 1/2" and even that sheet will weigh a whole lot. ... been there done this.
Our member @Marv makes some beautiful jigs from 1/2" Baltic Birch and he was kind enough to give me one of his extras.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #6 of 8 Old 04-21-2017, 06:56 AM

View ducbsa's Photo Album My Photos
I have seen where the MDF is drilled at right angles to the screw and a dowel inserted and probably pilot-drilled to provide something for the screw to bite into.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-21-2017, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Master firewood maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
If you buy a full 4 X 8 ft sheet of 3/4" MDF you will need a crane and a forklift to move it around. It's overkill for your planing jig because while 1/2" may bend of it's own accord, the minute you put the sides on it will stiffen right up. I would stay with 1/2" and even that sheet will weigh a whole lot. ... been there done this.
Our member @Marv makes some beautiful jigs from 1/2" Baltic Birch and he was kind enough to give me one of his extras.
My local HD/Borg sells 4x4 sheets of MDF in both 1/2" and 3/4". If 1/2" is strong enough, I'll go with that. Thanks.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-21-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Master firewood maker

responded to the wrong thread ... sorry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode