High Quality Plywood for Jigs? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 03-13-2008, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Heavy Sander

View Capt Crutch's Photo Album My Photos
High Quality Plywood for Jigs?

About 10 or 15 years ago I remember reading in one of the woodworking magazines about a then-new brand or type of plywood that they said would probably be real good for making shop jigs, etc., because of its stability and high quality.

As I recall, one of the "new" characteristics of this plywood was that it had a higher number of layers than usual, all without voids.

I can't remember the name of this plywood product, and other than the fact that it had LOTS of layers of veneer and no voids, and that it was available in 4'x8'x3/4" sheets (it wasn't Baltic birch) I can't remember much about it.

Does anyone know the plywood I'm thinking of, or of any similar products? I'm going to be visiting a really good lumber dealer far from home soon, and I would like to order a sheet if it's decently priced.

Thanks for any guesses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-13-2008, 06:48 PM

View mmwood_1's Photo Album My Photos
Might you be thinking of apple ply? When it came out, it was a premium grade ply, with a maple face and an alder core. It also ran true to size. Unfortunately, that's not the case anymore. Maybe different manufacturers have got into it, and perhaps it varies. That's the only one I can think of other than Baltic Birch. If you haven't used BB, it's a pretty good ply for such things. The 1/2" is 9 ply, and there are virtually no voids. I don't recall how many layers the 3/4" is, as I've only used it a couple times. It's pretty sturdy stuff, though.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Old Timer

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Crutch View Post
Does anyone know the plywood I'm thinking of, or of any similar products?
Baltic Birch fits that bill. 1/2" has 9 plys for example. Our local yard used to order it for me I'd get the 19/32 it has 11 plys and I still have a piece or two around here somewhere.

You have to get used to the 5' x 5' size but I love the stuff. Best stock for carcasses you can use IMO. I have no idea what it runs these days but I never balked at the slightly higher price compared to our BC junk because it was so much superior in quality it was an easy choice.

Edit. Haha. Sorry Mark I did not read your whole thread I saw where you said Apple and figured I'd toss the BB in the ring.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Future Master Craftsman

View bsharding1982's Photo Album My Photos
I don't think this is what you saw, but I read once about using laminated plywood in jigs to reduce friction. I'm not sure if that helps any, but its another way to go about making jigs. Also good for glue up surfaces because the glue can be scraped off easily.

*Woodworker in Training*
http://brent.harding.home.comcast.net/
post #5 of 6 Old 03-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Apple Ply is an equivalent substitute for Baltic Birch, and it is available in 4 x 8 sheets. It's made in America, and to hype it's beginning, it was called "Apple Ply", as a reference to "As American As Apple Pie".

post #6 of 6 Old 03-13-2008, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Heavy Sander

View Capt Crutch's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks, guys. Apple Ply sounds like the stuff.

Now if I can just find somewhere to buy it.

Edit: For anyone interested, Google turned up the manufacturer's website (with specs, contact info and distributor locator) at:

http://www.statesind.com/prod/ind_2a2.html
http://www.statesind.com/pdf/ApplePly.pdf
http://www.statesind.com/market/zipcode.html

Last edited by Capt Crutch; 03-13-2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: found additional info

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode