Euro 35mm or 1 3/8" concealed hinge jig - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 22 Old 04-01-2010, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Euro 35mm or 1 3/8" concealed hinge jig

Occasionally I have to drill and locate the recessed 1 3/8" hole for
face frame overlay hinges. I made this self seating and easy to locate jig from plexi and oak to fit on 3/4 frame stock without clamps.
It's a snug fit! I just locate the center lines, line up the jig and use a drill press to control the depth of the Forstner bit. It could be done in the field if need be I suppose. bill
BTW This was my first attempt at a corner cabinet for a vanity, lot's of wingin' it and no drawings. Hickory wood on the frames, Birch ply on the sidewalls and door panels. Pickled white Min Wax finish with Polycylic top coat. Brushed on 4 coats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1306.jpg
Views:	1210
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	14294  

Name:	100_1298.jpg
Views:	4762
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	14295  

Name:	100_1299.jpg
Views:	10935
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	14296  

Name:	100_1304.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	14297  

Name:	100_1301.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	14298  

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 04-02-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-01-2010, 08:40 PM

View ash123's Photo Album My Photos
Looks like ya got it dialed in.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-01-2010, 09:19 PM

View jlhaslip's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to jlhaslip
Perfect jig. I particularly like the two screw holes for attaching the hinge cup. Excellent jig.

Mind if I copy that one???

The Pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity while the Optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty...
post #4 of 22 Old 04-01-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

Be my guest

That's what we're here for so far as I can can tell. bill
I'll try to post a better picture of the underside.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #5 of 22 Old 04-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
Because I use many different Euro hinges and different overlays and inset I have many different hole offsets. I just drill my 'template board' with the appropriate offset and write on the inside of the hole what it is for. I have many holes in this template board for the different applications. When I need it I chuck up the 35mm bit and then put the appropriate hole under the drill and lower it in. Then I lock the quill and snug the fence up to the board and lock it in place. I can set the depth stop at this point also. To drill the holes I use the hinge itself as a template with a VIX bit.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #6 of 22 Old 04-02-2010, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Because I use many different Euro hinges and different overlays and inset I have many different hole offsets. I just drill my 'template board' with the appropriate offset and write on the inside of the hole what it is for. I have many holes in this template board for the different applications. When I need it I chuck up the 35mm bit and then put the appropriate hole under the drill and lower it in. Then I lock the quill and snug the fence up to the board and lock it in place. I can set the depth stop at this point also. To drill the holes I use the hinge itself as a template with a VIX bit.
Leo, when you get a chance can you post a photo of the 'template board" ? Thanks, bill

post #7 of 22 Old 04-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

You want me to post a board with holes in it? OK.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-02-2010, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
You want me to post a board with holes in it? OK.
But not just any holy board, the holy template board. Happy Easter!
We (I) might be able to learn a thing or two. bill

post #9 of 22 Old 04-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

Here ya go. A board with holes. My 35mm Jig

post #10 of 22 Old 04-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
That's a fancy jig Bill. I'm diggin' the holey boards too. My method is a simple one because I'm just a simple guy.

I have a 3/4" plywood piece about 12" wide about 3' long with a straight edge (about 1 1/2" x 3/4") glued to the top on the long side, which I'll call the fence. It is 3/4" higher than the board. I have a center line on top of the fence that follows down the front edge of the fence. To the left and right of that center line, I make a mark at 3".

The 3" mark is to set the edge of the door (for top and bottom). On the center line I do a cross hatch mark at 13/16" which is the center mark for the spur on the forstner bit, and it gives me 1/8" spacing from the edge of the door.

The board is placed on the drill press table and the cross hatch is lined up with the spur, and is held in place with two "C" clamps at the top of the fence to the table. There...see how simple it is. I'm almost ashamed to tell ya-all how I do it.

post #11 of 22 Old 07-15-2011, 01:59 PM

View Joe Lyddon's Photo Album My Photos
Cool

Mike,

Possible to show a picture of it?

My brain gets lost real easy...

I've always stayed away from this type of hinge because of this... possible mounting screwups and high cost of "Jigs to make it easier"!

Thank you.
post #12 of 22 Old 07-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lyddon View Post
Mike,

My brain gets lost real easy...
Joe...you gotta be kidding. It's too simple. Picture a 1'x3' piece of 3/4" ply sittin' on the DP table (left to right). Picture on top on the back is a piece of 3/4" x 1.5" ply flat going the 3' length. The 3/4" edge is the guide for the door edge.

post #13 of 22 Old 07-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

I have come to realize that what we as cabinetmakers do every day, seems like a no brainer but it is actually pretty elaborate for someone with little or no experience. We are in this field because we can picture in our minds what others can only see on paper or worst case, in full view.

As simple as it may seem to you, me and others, some people just cannot grasp the concept until they are shown a picture or representation of it. It is just the way the mind works and is nearly impossible to teach. It is like trying to teach someone to have a photographic memory. Either you got it, or you don't.

Show him the jig.

post #14 of 22 Old 07-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Old School

Quote:

Thank you.
Joe...Easier for me to do a drawing, than go fetch and photo. So, here is the board. It just gets clamped to the DP table. It gets lined up with the spur point of the forstner however close to the edge you want the hole.

post #15 of 22 Old 07-16-2011, 12:24 PM

View scrollerart's Photo Album My Photos
Man why didn't I read this last week I just mounted a pair of Blum soft close on a desk I'm working on to try them before butchering my kitchen cabinets. All I did was route a channel for the hinge was very hap-hazard and looked sloppy. Today I build this jig and do a sample. Maybe the cabinets will be Re-Juvinated after all.
post #16 of 22 Old 07-20-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
where's my table saw?

More jig photos

This shows how simple the jig is, adjustable for different offsets, and a wedge fit for 3/4" thick stock :
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1678.jpg
Views:	3116
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	26693  

Name:	100_1679.jpg
Views:	4466
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	26694  

Name:	100_1680.jpg
Views:	3433
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	26695  

post #17 of 22 Old 07-20-2011, 03:45 PM

Woodnthings:

Isn't the critical point the Center of that hole?

Do you measure from the edge to the Hole Center or the edge to edge of hole?

I take it that the plastic part is adjusted for the various type of overlay, etc. (yes?)

That 9/16... is that from the bottom of the plastic to the bottom of the wood?

Is it That distance you adjust for the different overlays, etc.?
How do you know what the distances should be?
(sorry to be so dumb on the subject)

Sure looks simple...
post #18 of 22 Old 07-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

Most Euro hinge makers will tell you the distance away from the edge to put the hole, not to the center. Most of the time you will put the center of the drill 4" up from the bottom and down from top edges to get standard placement of the hole.

post #19 of 22 Old 07-20-2011, 04:09 PM

I have some of that type of hinges in my junk box... a friend was throwing them away while moving... I got'em... No documentation...

I'm not even sure about what overlay, etc. they are for... I just have'em and have never used them before... ever...

How would you do it?
post #20 of 22 Old 07-20-2011, 04:55 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Woodnthings:

Isn't the critical point the Center of that hole?

Do you measure from the edge to the Hole Center or the edge to edge of hole?

I take it that the plastic part is adjusted for the various type of overlay, etc. (yes?)

That 9/16... is that from the bottom of the plastic to the bottom of the wood?

Is it That distance you adjust for the different overlays, etc.?
How do you know what the distances should be?
(sorry to be so dumb on the subject)

Sure looks simple...
Pretty good questions Joe. I just installed some of these for the first time so I didn't have a jig. No jig so was trying to set up the drill press, instructions said 1/8" from the edge. So for the center I took 1/8" plus 1/2 of the 1-3/8" hole and came up with 13/16". Set up for that. Test pieces were a bit tight so ended up with 7/8". Mine were Liberty hinges so am not sure if that makes a difference. Got 11 more doors to do and I'm planning on staying with 7/8" and Liberty hinges.
From the looks of the design, I don't think placement of the cup has anything to do with the overlay (Inset doors excepted). The overlay looks to me like that is accomplished with the length of the arm and the pivot point. Placement of the cup, looks to me like, would affect the clearance between the door edge and the face frame when the door is opened.
Anyway, those are the perceptions or mis-conceptions I've been working with.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode