Drilling straight holes without drill press - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 01-22-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

View nolo's Photo Album My Photos
Drilling straight holes without drill press

How can I drill a straight hole without a drill press? Does Harbor Freight sell an accessory? The holes will be 3 1/2 in deep. One option I was thinking of was having a friend drill holes in a 2x4 with his drill press and then using that as a guide. Unfortunately, I can't bring the wooden posts to his house for drilling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-22-2012, 09:08 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
drill guide

If you use a long drill bit, it's easier to tell if it's not plumb or square to the surface.
A simple guide can be made from 2 pieces of wood 2" x 3" x 3/4" thick. Just glue them together at right angles, like an "L" so they form a corner. They must be cut square at least on the bottom edges. Locate your drill bit in the corner resting against both inside surfaces.
The problem with most hand drills is that there is not a straight line or square surface parallel with the axis of the chuck/arbor. They design all these fancy colorful rounded surfaces ...none of which help make drilling a hole square to the bit. bill

There is no charge for the free advice, but you get what you pay for ... just sayin'

Last edited by woodnthings; 07-10-2012 at 06:46 AM.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
One of these might help.

post #4 of 20 Old 01-22-2012, 10:40 PM
In The Basement

View aaronhl's Photo Album My Photos
What can you used on the edge of a 3/4" thick by 3" wide board? 3/8" holes

"And remember this, there is no more important safety rule than to wear these safety glasses..."
post #5 of 20 Old 01-22-2012, 11:06 PM
I run with chisels.

View joesbucketorust's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronhl View Post
On the edge like for joinery? How about a dowel jig?

Insert witty signature line here.
The Following User Says Thank You to joesbucketorust For This Useful Post:
aaronhl (07-10-2012)
post #6 of 20 Old 01-23-2012, 12:59 AM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronhl View Post
I made one of these. Works with a 1" bushing and any size bit you want that will fit. Please note the error on those plans. The #8 x 1 F.H. screws DO NOT go through the acrylic base, they go through the aluminum bars into the rails.
I have one of those drill press wanna be's that c-man linked to. The one I have has so much slop in the rails in order to get a good hole, square to the work I need to lock the drill on and plunge it with both hands on top of the support rail. It does have a couple of centerfinding bosses on the base though. I think mine is a Wolfcraft. General also makes one. I think Joes' suggestion of a doweling jig is a good one.
Attached Images

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood

Last edited by jschaben; 01-23-2012 at 01:02 AM.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-23-2012, 01:06 AM

View mveach's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
One of these might help.

I had one of those years ago and it worked pretty well.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-23-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

View nolo's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you
post #9 of 20 Old 01-23-2012, 10:49 PM
In The Basement

View aaronhl's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesbucketorust View Post
On the edge like for joinery? How about a dowel jig?
I think that is exactly what I need. Thanks for the name, going to research it a little more.

"And remember this, there is no more important safety rule than to wear these safety glasses..."
post #10 of 20 Old 07-10-2012, 01:20 AM

View spidennis's Photo Album My Photos
so there's two models out there that's pretty much the same thing,
and both got similar reviews and have similar problems
but no where did I see one thing ......
.... how deep can you drill to?
I got 8 pieces of 3/4" to drill thru, about 6" worth, using a 5/16" bit or so .....
post #11 of 20 Old 07-10-2012, 11:15 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidennis View Post
so there's two models out there that's pretty much the same thing,
and both got similar reviews and have similar problems
but no where did I see one thing ......
.... how deep can you drill to?
I got 8 pieces of 3/4" to drill thru, about 6" worth, using a 5/16" bit or so .....
That will vary depending on the length of the bit. If the bit almost touchs the wood when the drill guide is up, you get the full travel of the drill guide.
That said, If I can get a hole a inch or so deep that will act as a drill guide and I can usually just finish it off by hand without any issues.
Also, $50 seems a bit steep, I think I've seen them at Home Depot and ACE for around $30-35

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #12 of 20 Old 07-10-2012, 03:19 PM

View Alchymist's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
That will vary depending on the length of the bit. If the bit almost touchs the wood when the drill guide is up, you get the full travel of the drill guide.
That said, If I can get a hole a inch or so deep that will act as a drill guide and I can usually just finish it off by hand without any issues.
Also, $50 seems a bit steep, I think I've seen them at Home Depot and ACE for around $30-35
$50 does seem steep. Double it and you're in the ballpark for a good used drill press, which is a lot more versatile. Not a big fan of Rockler anyway, just bought a set of hardware for a highchair tray, and hardware was $15, but the shipping was $7.00, came in a padded envelope via US Mail. Hardware was not the best, either, one latch was a real pain to make latch on the notched bar. Kind of surprised, Rockler supposedly has a good rep. Oh well, buy somewhere else next time.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-10-2012, 05:48 PM

View MT Stringer's Photo Album My Photos
I bought the Sears model. Looks the same as the one in the pic. $19 I think. I drilled four holes through three inches of wood with an 11/16 inch bit. No problem.

The drill guide is not really sturdy to make for very accurate holes but it does help the user to guide the bit on a fairly straight path. I was drilling holes through my workbench table top so I could mount a wood vise. I might add that I drilled up through the bottom of the benchtop with the smaller bit, then put the forstner bit on to countersink the top for the bolt head/washer.

As you see in the pic, I also mounted the guide on a piece of 3/4 inch oak.

I have a bunch of lag screws to install and plan to use the guide to drill pilot holes.
Attached Images

Last edited by MT Stringer; 07-10-2012 at 06:04 PM.
post #14 of 20 Old 07-11-2012, 09:58 AM

View Pirate's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds to me, like it's the perfect reason to justify a drill press!

If cash is a concern, a used drill press would be my pick. 95% or more of my tools were bought used. Much less expensive, and usually higher quality.
post #15 of 20 Old 07-12-2012, 02:18 AM

I haven't seen of a drill press with a 6" throw, plus have 8 layers of 3/4" ply in it. If you know of one let me know! presently my well worn table top drill press is less than ideal for this purpose .......

I ordered one of these portable units for 36 bucks, but knowing about all the concerns I think I can work past them. I should have it in a few days.

besides, this gadget is in my price range right now, my next drill press will have to wait for a better budget, and time to shop for just such a critter. I will be doing lots of this operation so it's on my growing list of tools to be upgraded!
post #16 of 20 Old 07-12-2012, 04:27 AM

View EHCRain's Photo Album My Photos
If you drill through the hole of a cd or dvd with the shiny side facing you you can see if the bit is straight or not. Just line the bit up with its reflection.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EHCRain For This Useful Post:
jschaben (07-12-2012), spidennis (07-12-2012)
post #17 of 20 Old 07-14-2012, 01:36 AM

I got my general AccuDrill Precision Drill Guide in today and went straight to testing it out for my main tasks.

The grey parts are plastic and the drill doesn't slide up and down the rail very smoothly, and it's just a bit unsteady .......

I screwed a scrap piece to the bottom and with a 1.5" hole saw cut out a hole. My Irwin 3/4" augur bit (49912) fit in just fine and I drilled thru 4 pieces of 3/4 pretty easily so I think it's gonna do that job just fine.

It's certainly not a drill press like others have mentioned, but I was able to drill these holes much better than if I was to try it freehand. This will work out fine until I can afford a $1k or better drill press! but since this will do the job, that drill press is now lower on the list as I got other stuff to get as well.

tomorrow I'll try out the next task on my test pieces and then move on to the real McCoy.
Attached Images

post #18 of 20 Old 07-14-2012, 11:37 AM
John

Those are pretty decent things to have. For one thing a lot more portable than a drill press anyway. They won't replace a drill press by any means but they can also do some things a drill press can't.

John

post #19 of 20 Old 08-28-2012, 04:52 PM

View jharris2's Photo Album My Photos
Or:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=31286

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did in his
sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Jack Handey
The Following User Says Thank You to jharris2 For This Useful Post:
newbirdhunter (03-28-2013)
post #20 of 20 Old 08-29-2012, 03:55 AM

View GroovyMambo's Photo Album My Photos
I have an upcoming project that will require drilling 220. 3/4 inch holes on a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 plywood and the holes have to be straight so I don't have much of a choice than to get one of these even though I have a large drill press

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode