Anyone know a slick way of installing hinges - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 08-30-2008, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

View railman44's Photo Album My Photos
Anyone know a slick way of installing hinges

without an expensive hinge jig or chisels? I would think a plunge router with a straight bit should do the trick. Anyone know of a cheap jig or a homemade jig that would do the trick?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by railman44 View Post
without an expensive hinge jig or chisels? I would think a plunge router with a straight bit should do the trick. Anyone know of a cheap jig or a homemade jig that would do the trick?

What kind of hinges? Cabinet door ( barrel, piano, euro style, butt, pivot), or hinges for passage doors for homes.

post #3 of 19 Old 08-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Pianoman

View pianoman's Photo Album My Photos
The only time I used a jig to mount hinges was when I had several interior doors to hang. Doors and jambs had to be routed...I used a Stanley jig with the proper collar. When I mount henges for say a jewelry box...I use a plunge router free hand after scribing the location with an exacto knife. I set the depth according to the hinge plate thickness plus 1/2 the gap between the hinge plates with the hinge closed (- a red hair). Now, I square the corners with a chissel. This method works well for me...others may have a different way. Rick

Never... I mean always... never mind Rick
post #4 of 19 Old 08-30-2008, 01:12 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
I dont know about a cheep jig, but I trace the hinge on the wood and using the hinge itself as a dept gauge, set the router bit hieght, and then free hand the hinge mortis with the router. I have see hinge jigs in woodworkers magizines and I saw one at Lowe's

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #5 of 19 Old 08-30-2008, 06:49 PM

View johnjf0622's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to johnjf0622
Porter cable puts out a basic templet for doing door hinges. Doesnt work too bad. Used with a router.

I don't plan my day in advance cause the word "Premeditated" ends up flying around the court room.......
post #6 of 19 Old 08-30-2008, 07:16 PM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
I dont know about a cheep jig, but I trace the hinge on the wood and using the hinge itself as a dept gauge, set the router bit hieght, and then free hand the hinge mortis with the router. I have see hinge jigs in woodworkers magizines and I saw one at Lowe's
I second Handymans suggestion. The jigs that I have seen aren't terribly expensive, but if you're only doing one or two hinge installations just trace the hinge shape onto the door edge, use the hinge to set your depth of cut, and have a steady hand. Oh, by the way, make sure you are marking the hinge set in the right direction. It matters. [Inside of door versus outside of door] Sounds simple, but it sure is easy to screw up. Old addage is to "measure twice before you cut once". It is too true.

Have fun.

Gerry
post #7 of 19 Old 08-30-2008, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

View railman44's Photo Album My Photos
This is the hinge I'm going to install (the large one). I'm sure to most of you this would be a chip shot but I sure don't want to bogger up the small box trying to install them.

This is the box so far. It's walnut and cherry.

Last edited by railman44; 08-30-2008 at 08:32 PM.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-30-2008, 11:21 PM

View johnjf0622's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to johnjf0622
Oops sorry the porter cable template won't work on that I third handyman's way

I don't plan my day in advance cause the word "Premeditated" ends up flying around the court room.......
post #9 of 19 Old 08-31-2008, 09:41 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
I think the router would work well. You could also use a back saw to cut the lines across, and then chisel the material out. Or, you could just use chisels.

Gerry
post #10 of 19 Old 08-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Pianoman

If you use a back saw to cut the cross lines...you`ve cut too much wood out!!! Unless the hinge plate is as wide as the box side. Rick

post #11 of 19 Old 08-31-2008, 06:45 PM

Location: Amidst of 1000 acers of crawfish ponds under a 500 year old Oak grove. SW La
View Handyman's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to Handyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman View Post

Ok seeing what hinges you are trying to mortis, use the smallest strait cut router bit you have and then a sharp wood chissle to cut the corners square.

Collector of Old Tools
Fixer of all things broke
Expert = Drip under pressure
post #12 of 19 Old 08-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I just use a knife and score the line for the mortise, and then chisel out the waste.

post #13 of 19 Old 08-31-2008, 10:15 PM

View TheRecklessOne's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjf0622 View Post
Porter cable puts out a basic templet for doing door hinges. Doesnt work too bad. Used with a router.

THe porter cable jig rocks. It's 25 bucks. I've had a couple. They're ABS plastic so they'll wear out after 20 doors or so, but they're easy to adjust and easy use. I like 'em....
post #14 of 19 Old 09-04-2008, 09:28 AM

View coolpete234's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
I just use a knife and score the line for the mortise, and then chisel out the waste.
This works best for me.

Just built a bed! Looking for advice on a mattress for it
post #15 of 19 Old 09-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Mortising door hinges for me has always been done with one of those hammer on templates that cuts the outline of the hinge. Then mark the depth with the hinge, and chase the material out with a chisel. It's not that tough to do...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #16 of 19 Old 09-22-2008, 05:02 PM

View Roy Harding's Photo Album My Photos
What Cabinetman said.

By the time you get the fancy template made, depth of router cutter set, etcetera - you'll be done by using hand tools.

I'm as much a "power tool guy" as the next man - but often the quicker, more accurate, and easier tool to reach for doesn't have a power cord on it.
post #17 of 19 Old 10-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Pianoman

The depth of the mortice for a hinge is a critical step...if you want the lid to shut properly and have the same reveal everywhere...using a router will keep you consistant. Then follow-up with a chissel to square the mortice. You need to consider the gap between plates with the hinge closed to determine the depth. Rick

post #18 of 19 Old 10-04-2008, 04:09 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
For the small hinges for that box I would use a chisel.

For one or two door hinges I would probably free hand with a router.

For the large number of hinges I have done on doors for the last 1 1/2 years I bought the Lowes template (about $15 ) and it worked well. If you are doing many doors you may also want the template for the locksets.

G
post #19 of 19 Old 10-04-2008, 04:42 PM

Location: Full time cruising on my boat. Currently on the Tenn. River in NW Alabama in Jo
View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Dremmel Tool

My old Dremmel had a round base that could be used like a router. This works just fine for jewelry box hardware if you have a reasonably steady hand.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, and now full time cruising the waterways on my boat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode