What Tractors Are You Guys Using - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 10-12-2016, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

View MidGAOutdoor's Photo Album My Photos
What Tractors Are You Guys Using

What tractor do you guys use for lifting the big logs? I have a Mahindra 4025 with the 233 FEL and I met a lot today that we could barely lift. 3 grown men standing on bush hog and an operator on tractor. we got it done but it was a 3047# log on a loader with a max capacity of 2800#. Thinking maybe an older backhoe?

Zach Ware
Mid-Ga Outdoor & Equipment Service
Lawn Care, Small Engine Repair, Furniture, and Custom Sawing.
(478) 960-2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-12-2016, 11:44 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I'm using a 1959 Case 210B.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-13-2016, 03:47 AM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
No log hauling tractor, but we have a lawn tractor, craftsman T3000.. 2 years, zero problems so far.. a lot more grass and bushes than trees.. I need to build a lawn cart someday soon.. that might be my winter project..

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
post #4 of 9 Old 10-13-2016, 04:30 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpurpose View Post
No log hauling tractor, but we have a lawn tractor, craftsman T3000.. 2 years, zero problems so far.. a lot more grass and bushes than trees.. I need to build a lawn cart someday soon.. that might be my winter project..
The question was about a big enough tractor with a FEL (front end loader) to move heavy logs, and you post up about a lawn tractor...? HUH?

I have used my John Deere 4710 for some logging, but I don't think it would lift 3000 lbs based on these specs:
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-trac...tachments.html

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 10-13-2016 at 04:48 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-13-2016, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

yea I didn't have a trailer at the time the Mahindra was purchased big enough to haul anything larger than the Mahindra. now I do and wish I had the bigger one. nit doing tractor work for hire I had to go with what I had stuff to haul it on. think I'm going to end up buying a used backhoe off craigslist.

Zach Ware
(478) 960-2014
post #6 of 9 Old 10-13-2016, 09:35 PM

View holtzdreher's Photo Album My Photos
well a few years ago, I had the chance to buy a John Deere 4wd 210C backhoe loader. I can lift 5,000 pounds with the loader and about half that with the rear bucket. I can stack a 1/2 cord of wood in the front bucket. I use the rear boom and bucket to lift and stack smaller logs on an old running gear wagon with a cradle built on it. (I have about 20 acres of woods here on the farm. )
post #7 of 9 Old 10-14-2016, 08:31 AM

View TimPa's Photo Album My Photos
I mostly skid. my '49 8n with a 3ph scoop works well. put the end of the log into the scoop and chain her in. haven't had a log yet she couldn't pull. for lifting, I have a ford 3600 w/dunham lehr loader, doubt it would lift over a ton though, running off of internal hydraulics.

will have a challenge coming up soon, maple about 40" dia from neighbors. can't skid through their yard, have to trailer will have to keep them short.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-18-2016, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

I figured out that I can lift easier by taking off the forks or bucket and use chains in such a way that it doesn't damage the loader. this takes the weight of the forks off completely and gets the log closer to the tractor so its not way out there making leverage to raise rear of tractor.

Zach Ware
(478) 960-2014
post #9 of 9 Old 10-18-2016, 11:19 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I used chains

I bolted some hooks to the ends of the bucket and then used chains wrapped around the logs. This puts the weight closer to the tractor, increasing the leverage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0461.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	258274  

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 10-18-2016 at 11:59 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode