Log Prices - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 08-29-2008, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

View Oscar's Photo Album My Photos
Log Prices

Was wonder'n if .60 a board ft. for White Oak Logs that are select for Beaming is a reasonable price??? I've never bought logs so I have no frame of reference. As I had prev posted, we are going to be building a Timber Frame. Was planning on getting the Beams from the Timber Framers but time didn't work out for a build this season, so Spring will hopefully be more eventfull. In anycase if I can score good White Oak for making my own or even a few of our own all the better. I've been real lucky so far as we've accumulated lot's great logs of various species which are being incorporated to the build but good white oak is not easily found right where were at, need to be a little farther south and were also looking for a few good Ash logs that can give us 8-10 14ft 7x9. Anyway, I just don't want to buy too high and/or get less than select quality and I'm always looking & planning ahead. So I need to hear from others, any and all information & feedback is greatly appreciated?

Oh, Yea, he said he uses the "Doyle" scale.

Last edited by Oscar; 08-29-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-29-2008, 09:55 PM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
White oak sawlogs are hot right now (unless you are selling to me ) I don't know what prices are over there, but below is Illinois prices. I reckon them to be the same or greater in your neck of the woods. There is heavy export demand right now (China ) and alot of white oak logs are getting shipped whole oversees from my understanding.

This is from licensed loggers and the University Of Illinois Forestry Dept. http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/forestry/blogs/eb94/

If you are looking to buy, that is the "going price"...I just do things a little different as you have probably figured out reading my posts with the veneer logs in a pile in my yard delivered .
post #3 of 4 Old 08-30-2008, 01:22 AM

View john manestar's Photo Album My Photos
Any idea about prices on Juniper logs too?
post #4 of 4 Old 08-30-2008, 08:09 AM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by john manestar View Post
Any idea about prices on Juniper logs too?
I would not have the faintest. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode