How do I use/sell Burlwood? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 07-09-2010, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Location: Southeastern Illinois, right inside the Shawnee National Forrest
View roberthathaway7's Photo Album My Photos
How do I use/sell Burlwood?

Trying to make a little book money for school and keep in touch with my manhood, I've been cutting up some firewood for sale. I have ran across some burl wood from Box Elders etc, and I have seen burl wood bring good money in some places like ebay.. How can I harness this burl wood I find to make a little cash? First of all, I want to keep some and make something out of it like knife handles and maybe a gun stalk, but how do I prepare it to be sold? Do I dry it first or just cut it up into blocks and sell it green? help??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-09-2010, 06:56 AM

View mdlbldrmatt135's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Yahoo to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Skype™ to mdlbldrmatt135
Burls need to dry slow as they do tend to crack. Most places that deal with them dunk the pieces in a wax.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-09-2010, 11:42 AM
The Monkey's Uncle

View Streamwinner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlbldrmatt135 View Post
Burls need to dry slow as they do tend to crack. Most places that deal with them dunk the pieces in a wax.
Agreed. I just milled about 15 cherry burls and coated all sides with wax. This is what I found is most recommended after a lot of research I've done on exactly what you're asking. I'll let them sit for about 6 months before using them. I have no idea what they're worth monetarily.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Old Timer

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthathaway7 View Post
. . . I want to keep some and make something out of it like knife handles . . .
You're on the right track. Knife makers eat it up. Handle blanks that go on the side of a metal handle are called "knife scales". A piece of wood that makes up the handle itself, like on a custom Bowie Knife is just referred to as a handle. eBay is a good place to sell Box Elder burl because there's a few guys, one in particular who dyes and stabilizes woods and resells it mostly as knife scales (because they are so profitable) but also as pistol grip blanks.

eBay can actually be a good place in your situation. Once you sell to them a couple times you can begin to sell to them outside of feeBay. Seal them as suggested, or go ahead and resaw them, or some of them, into knife scales & pistol grip blanks, and wax heavily and place them all in a heavy grocery bag. Check them every week to make sure they aren't mildewing in the bag. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. They will dry out with much less wreckage that way. Just don't let sunlight hit them and don't keep them in low humidity areas.

A good standard knife scale blank is 3/8T x 1.5W x 5L. A standard pistol grip measures 2T x 3.5W x 6L. These are the dimensions many of the craftsmen want, but not the only dimensions so don't cut up all your stock into these dimensions only. If you do resaw while green, cut them oversized by a smidgen. Hope this helps.

Last edited by TexasTimbers; 07-09-2010 at 01:56 PM.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-09-2010, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Location: Southeastern Illinois, right inside the Shawnee National Forrest
View roberthathaway7's Photo Album My Photos
wax?

Great! Thanks, i feel like i might get somewhere with this.. But this wax..so from the field, you're saying I would all in one day cut the tree down, discoover burl wood, cut it up into the sizes you suggest, dip them in parrafin wax, then let them sit for six months or so.. or do I let the chunk dry first then cut it up and cover those pieces with wax until i sell them? I guess I'm lost on what point to cut them up and wax them?
post #6 of 11 Old 07-09-2010, 06:49 PM
The Monkey's Uncle

View Streamwinner's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthathaway7 View Post
Great! Thanks, i feel like i might get somewhere with this.. But this wax..so from the field, you're saying I would all in one day cut the tree down, discoover burl wood, cut it up into the sizes you suggest, dip them in parrafin wax, then let them sit for six months or so.. or do I let the chunk dry first then cut it up and cover those pieces with wax until i sell them? I guess I'm lost on what point to cut them up and wax them?
Cut and seal in the same day, regardless of the sizes you're cutting. It only takes a few hours for the wood to start cracking. If you mill the burls into small sizes like TT stated, they'll take much less time to dry.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-10-2010, 01:44 PM
buroak

View buroak's Photo Album My Photos
An added question. What is the best or recomended wax to use to seal wood??
post #8 of 11 Old 07-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Old Timer

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Anchorseal is the most popular.

I prefer Bailey's blend.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-06-2012, 06:05 PM

View cowboysteve Yoy's Photo Album My Photos
Wink To Robert H: 411

Hey, if you can find out anything about selling burls, particularly raw pieces not yet dried, please let me know. I too, have maple burls galore, and no idea how to go about selling them. Thanks. Oh, and good luck with that whole manhood thing!
post #10 of 11 Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 PM

View aardvark's Photo Album My Photos
It's not 6 months for large chunks.
It's dependent on size.
I have some that are years old in oak.
Box Elder is very unstable.
It's kinda why they cost so much. Prep time and instability play a role.
post #11 of 11 Old 03-22-2012, 09:34 PM

View bbaley's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysteve Yoy View Post
Hey, if you can find out anything about selling burls, particularly raw pieces not yet dried, please let me know. I too, have maple burls galore, and no idea how to go about selling them. Thanks. Oh, and good luck with that whole manhood thing!
Well... I can come to you and relieve you of some of them ;-)

Tags
burl wood, burled wood, burlwood, lumber

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode