DIY Band sawmill wheels, Aluminium or cast iron? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

View cody.sheridan-2008's Photo Album My Photos
DIY Band sawmill wheels, Aluminium or cast iron?

Hi All,

I am considering making my own bandsaw mill wheels for the mill I am currently building and am not sure wheather to make them out of iron or aluminium. Aluminum has far better workability but could easily rust with the steel in the project plus they are more likely to wear out. Iron would be far better in every aspect except much more difficult to work given it needs 1300-1600*C to melt which adds to the cost of the foundry. Turning them on a lathe shouldn't be a problem.

Let me know what you think and if you want to see the rest of my sawmill just click on this link and go to my my projects page, also if you want some plans send me an email and I will send them back as an attachment (they are done on google sketchup so you will need to download the FREE software first.)

Cheers
Cody Sheridan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 09:04 AM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
"Aluminum has far better workability but could easily rust with the steel in the project "

I cannot understand what you are saying.

G
post #3 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Steel reacts with aluminium when touching which causes them to rust.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

long sentance.Basically I attempted to say that Aluminium is softer than iron therefor it is easyer to work with.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 10:05 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Have you seen these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bandsaw-Wheels-B...item563744a4c0

Or these aluminum:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BANDSAW-WHEELS-S...item5639f662c9
By the time you cast, machine bore and true, add tires, shafts and
what ever else you may be further ahead to just buy these...?? bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
cody.sheridan-2008 (07-05-2010)
post #6 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 10:09 AM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a new wheel for my mill (broke one) Browning 19" cast iron, industry standard. They have a locking device for a tapered shaft and a keyway...$110, done.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Daren $110 where did you find them!? the cheapest I have found is $175 for a 19" wheel and a 26" from the same place is $400.

I had seen the ones on ebay (ebay is my second no wait first home I live/sleep in my workshop 3*C so that is not really a home, it leaks a bit) I would probably go for the 28" wheels as an absolute minimum though $1000 later plus postage to Australia! That could be eye watering.

Making them myself was just a thought and potentially a way to learn a bit more on the wonders of metal working fun fun! and an excuse to make myself a foundry!

Thanks for the advice.
Cody
post #8 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 10:56 AM

View Daren's Photo Album My Photos
I will have to dig out the receipt to see exactly where it came from, I will do that later today (?). I called my mill manufacturer (TA Schmid) when I broke it. They put me in touch with their supplier. But the Browning 19" wheel like I said is pretty much what everyone uses, they are not hard to find. This place may interest you/help you DIY bandsaw mills
post #9 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

daren Thanks for the link and for looking for the reciept for the wheels. I had come across that link before I think it was actually through one of your posts a while back hmmm.....

I finnaly figured out how to attach things I just wish I could attach my full plans but they total 1.71mb and I can only attach 97.1 kb of that file type! instead I attached as many pics as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sawmill pic 5.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	15630  

Attached Images

post #10 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Old Timer

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
The bigger and heavier you go with bandwheels the better. Light wheels use a little less fuel but the heavier ones carry gobs more torque. The amount of fuel the engine uses to maintain band speed with heavy wheels compared to light ones is negligible. In sawmills just as in drag racing - torque is king. It can make a Volkswagon act like a Mopar.

DIY Band sawmill wheels, Aluminium or cast iron?-drag-racing.jpg

I hope you'll keep this thread going or start a new one to catalog your progress. I love DIY builds I get to sort of build vicariously that way.

Last edited by TexasTimbers; 07-05-2010 at 12:18 PM. Reason: image adjustment
post #11 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

TT I plan on documenting the whole process on my website. I plan on using a series of videos, pictures, written descriptions and more! Though it may be a little while yet, keep your eye on my website at www.codysheridan.webs.com to see to process unfold! Currently I have te sawmill on my my projects page but when I have time I will go into detail on it and give it its very own page!

And of course I post a thread to let everyone here know when I have done more on it. I have also got someone in Western Australia who may be building with me from my plans.

cheers
better go to sleep now its 2:30 am here in Sydney! wow does time fly when you are having fun!
post #12 of 13 Old 07-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Old Timer

View TexasTimbers's Photo Album My Photos
Cody, I checked out your website - you are an impressive young man! Henny for a Penny that's pretty catchy. Whenever I see someone post a "I'm going to build a bandmill." thread I always roll my eyes (to myself) because most quit early or never even get started. But after seeing all you've accomplished at the tender age of 15 I have no doubt you'll finish this project. Nice job on the dovetails and I think you should use the stuff you build so storing your brad nailer in it is perfectly fine.

P.S. Get some sleep you need at least 8 hours you are still growing!
post #13 of 13 Old 07-08-2010, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that TT really boosts my confidence and enthusiasm when I get comments like that. Plus I think my dad actually thinks I can make the thing now! Not that he will admit that as we made a bit of a bet to begin with! no money or anything just pride hahaha.

The engines arrived the other day and I have posted about them in a seperate thread. Just one engine to go now, then the rest of the mill! got most of the finances now just got to find time.

Thanks for everyones help
Cody Sheridan
www.codysheridan.webs.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode