Cutting large limbs from my pin oak tree. How to treat logs/wood to use later - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 5 Old 12-29-2016, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

View pinky's Photo Album My Photos
Cutting large limbs from my pin oak tree. How to treat logs/wood to use later

I don't think I am using the correct search words as I am sure this has been asked before.

I was trimming some lower branches from my Pin Oak tree and noticed a beautiful grain in the cuts. I now have logs ranging from 9" to 4" in diameter and 3 to 6 foot in length. What do I do with these logs so I can work with them later and not have them split/crack.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-29-2016, 05:59 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
As soon as possible seal the ends of the logs so they don't dry too fast. This is what causes the end checking. There are products like anchor seal available but might be hard to find. You could just use Gulf Wax. Just melt some in a can and dip just the very end of the logs in it.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-29-2016, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

View pinky's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
As soon as possible seal the ends of the logs so they don't dry too fast. This is what causes the end checking. There are products like anchor seal available but might be hard to find. You could just use Gulf Wax. Just melt some in a can and dip just the very end of the logs in it.
Thank you for the quick reply. I will check my local stores, but I think I will have to go with latex paint until I can order some anchor seal from amazon or ebay. I might have some wax, but time/effort of melting and applying vs spraying with latex.

Right now I have logs stored outside in Kansas and it is winter here. Temps range from -7 to 67 degrees throughout the month. Should I be finding a place to store wood in garage or basement?

My garage is somewhat heated and stays 40-55 degrees unless there is a windy winter storm and it might drop to around 32.

Basement is finished and stays warm.

post #4 of 5 Old 12-29-2016, 01:06 PM

View Larry Schweitzer's Photo Album My Photos
Temperature doesn't affect the wood other than by causing fluctuations in relative humidity. Latex paint isn't a very good end sealer but better than waiting for the good stuff to get there. You will find pin oak branches are very difficult to work with. Lots of stresses. If the nice grain patterns are what you want slice the limbs into veneers as soon as possible. Put the veneers in layers of news print and stack them with lots of weight on top. Keep in cool place and check to make sure they aren't getting moldy.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-29-2016, 09:11 PM

View canarywood1's Photo Album My Photos
Branches are usually reaction wood, be very careful when milling it.
The Following User Says Thank You to canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
Tennessee Tim (12-29-2016)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode