Band Saw Log Handling - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 10 Old 09-21-2010, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Rainwatcher

View Jammer Six's Photo Album My Photos
Band Saw Log Handling

How do those of you who rip small logs handle those small logs?

My first system, a Ridgid 14" from Homeless Despot, and as I was lifting a 400 lb. log up to the in feed table, I realized how high off the floor the table is on this machine.

A log six feet long and a dozen inches in diameter is a beast.

So how do you guys handle the logs from the back of the pickup to the blade?

~Jammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-21-2010, 02:09 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Jammer. Bugman has it totally figured out!

This is a sweet set-up, someday I may have one similar???

This is my "dream setup" by bugman, I'm more than half way there! Cheap Sawmill
I'll have to find some of those cool roller tables, maybe Kroger's....
late at night! Naw, maybe craig's list...anyone got an idea? Bill

As far as getting the log up on the saw and rollers, a chainfall from a beam or a cherry picker/engine hoist at $150.00 from Harbor Freight.
Also of interest...ReSaw Sled bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 09-21-2010 at 04:37 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-21-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Rainwatcher

I looked at the cherry pickers-- and then thought perhaps there was a cheaper way.

I'm thinking of taking the mountain to Mohammed.

My setup is a sled on runners, and I'm thinking of bolting the saw to the floor, and dropping the runners down to that minimum height-- then a log would only need to come about 8" off the floor, and could be tipped and walked into position.

But every time I look at starting work on it, I get tired...

~Jammer
post #4 of 10 Old 09-21-2010, 06:40 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I can't quite picture this idea

My setup is a sled on runners, and I'm thinking of bolting the saw to the floor, and dropping the runners down to that minimum height-- then a log would only need to come about 8" off the floor, and could be tipped and walked into position.
Like this?
Now this is probably a crazy idea based on the days of old, dig a hole in the floor to house the lower wheel and table of the saw and rollers and then the log would just have to be lifted onto the rollers. Like a huge milling bandsaw.
My buddy sawed a hole in the floor of his shop so a hydraulic lift table would sit flush with the floor. He raises it up to catch 36" and 42" heavy oak doors as they exit the wide belt sander, lowers each down enough to stack a bunch, one on top of another.
Another concept is to remove the stock cast iron table and replace it with a steel roller support extending out each side from the blade on 10' long lengths of tubing or angle iron. This would make it pretty much a dedicated sawmill.
Similarly, bolting to 10' lengths of angle on either side of the stock table so the support roller are flush, similar to bugman's separate roller tables.
Another crazy idea would be to rotate the saw over so the blade is horizontal or parallel with the floor, like a Woodmizer and then have a sled on tracks that moves the log along under the blade. Another dedicated bandsaw mill. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 11-08-2010 at 07:59 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-21-2010, 09:18 PM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
This is a sweet set-up, someday I may have one similar???

This is my "dream setup" by bugman, I'm more than half way there! Cheap Sawmill

Also of interest...ReSaw Sled bill
I didn't see the original post until now, and I agree those two references sums it up on the subject. That would be my dream setup too. I've been looking for similar conveyor rollers on CL and ebay, but nothing in my area. It's kind of hard to believe.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-22-2010, 12:29 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
Bill, would it be cheaper to make some rollers like that? I have seen your welding skills with your mobile bases and it seems that something like that would be fairly simple to build and might be easier to make to your specific specs and requirements, i.e. height, width, etc. Whatever happen to Bugman?
post #7 of 10 Old 09-22-2010, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Rainwatcher

I'll try to get some pictures.

But I'm not very good at pictures.

That video was pretty funny-- I was particularly amused by everyone waving the cameraman away.

~Jammer
post #8 of 10 Old 11-08-2010, 07:14 AM

View bugman1954's Photo Album My Photos
Craigslist search engine

I've been building a new shop for my woodworking but will leave the mill in one half of the garage. My other thread is "down with the old, up with the new shop.

The gravity rollers have many names. There is a search engine called: http://www.searchtempest.com/

You can set parameters and go to it. I watch ebay just in case those rollers are close by distance. There is a big company out of Memphis that sells used rollers. I origionally had skate rollers for infeed and outfeed but the weight of the log was to much for it. The rollers I have now are the heavest that hytrol makes. They support 1000 lbs per foot. These have the bigger rollers. These came out of a quarry who upgraded to wider ones. My lucky day getting them.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-08-2010, 11:38 PM
djg
Senior Something

View djg's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman1954 View Post
The rollers I have now are the heavest that hytrol makes. They support 1000 lbs per foot. These have the bigger rollers. These came out of a quarry who upgraded to wider ones. My lucky day getting them.
Yes it was your lucky day. I'm still looking for a set for my 14" bandsaw. They wouldn't have to be has heavy as yours or as long since I only have a 14" with a 1.5 HP motor. But you think someone in the St. Louis area would be selling decent used gravity conveyors. I almost bought a pack of 24 rollers which I could then bolt to lengths of unistrut (super strut, B-Line strut, etc), but I would only get 3'-6" lengths of infeed and outfeed rollers from them.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 06:49 AM

View bugman1954's Photo Album My Photos
gravity rollers

I think I found you a simple solution. Grizzly has roller tables that are pretty much portable and can be setup anywhere in your shop. I've looked at them at their store. I would get better holding screws though. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Roller-Table/G8982

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode