Air drying seasonal timing - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 11-07-2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
Air drying seasonal timing

Just wondering, I still have the big birch log laying on the ground in the front yard and want to have it sawn to 1" slabs, perhaps a bit thicker. It's been on the ground now since spring, but is there an advantage or disadvantage sawing it now (or later) when it comes to drying times? I'm in Columbia SC where it's not particularly super cold over the winter and we don't typically get a lot of rain. I have a covered front porch to stack it on so rain hitting it really isn't an issue and it's far enough under the roof so that the sun shouldn't be glaring down on it much either.
Any opinions about the time of year that's best? I don't want to wait to much longer and let it rot on the ground.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-07-2016, 09:29 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
It depends on what you want in the wood. The longer you leave it on the ground the more it will get infected with insects, spalting and rot.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-07-2016, 10:52 PM

View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
In order for your wood to air dry enough to build furniture, you will need to cut it into planks and store with spaces between each board through a minimum of 6 summer months or longer. Columbia, SC still has high humidity. A lot of woodworkers slide their planks up onto the joist of an open attic. This works well because the air can circulate and heat rises.
If wet lumber isn't supported well, it will twist and cup more as it drys.
In log form, the wood will almost never dry out.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
post #4 of 4 Old 11-08-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
The good news is we have more than enough attic space, one side finished, the other not finished so really now it's a matter of getting it cut down to manageable pieces...well, getting the money to get it cut would be even more helpful.
Ok, it's a matter of me begging to borrow the money. That's the part I really hate..Being broke doesn't bother me much, but asking to borrow? Uhhhg! I hate that part of it.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode