Steel City 17" Drill Press vs Delta 17-959L - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 03-25-2009, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

View Confounded's Photo Album My Photos
Steel City 17" Drill Press vs Delta 17-959L

I plan on buying one of these two. I found a forum where everyone owning the SC brags about it. However, I have read some minor complaints about the Delta.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thx,

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Well, if you want to, you could always buy both of them, have them shipped to me and I will test them out for you... :-D

Oh well it was worth a try.

I really like the stats on the SC, and they look awesome in store at Woodcraft, BUT... I don't know anyone that owns one. I do know a couple of guys with the Delta, which they like okay. One guy is on his third switch for his Delta though...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #3 of 14 Old 03-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

View Gary Beasley's Photo Album My Photos
I have one on order from Woodcraft. They keep promising it'll be here soon. I've been waiting over a month. I can tell you about it when I finally and actually get it.
post #4 of 14 Old 03-26-2009, 04:19 AM

View Davet's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
Well, if you want to, you could always buy both of them, have them shipped to me and I will test them out for you... :-D

Oh well it was worth a try.

I really like the stats on the SC, and they look awesome in store at Woodcraft, BUT... I don't know anyone that owns one. I do know a couple of guys with the Delta, which they like okay. One guy is on his third switch for his Delta though...

I have the 17-950L 16 1/2" Delta Drill Press.
Nice drill press, and I love the wood working woodworking friendly
table. ...BUT...

My power switch failed also...I had the switch apart to see if it could be repaired or if it needed replaced.

IMO, The power switch on this press is one of the worst designed
cheaply made switches I've ever seen. The quality and design of the switch was so poor, I could not even concider a oem replacement to replace it. I used a completely different switch to replace it.

My press is a couple of years old, I hope Delta has replaced these switches with a newer different design switch.

Last edited by Davet; 03-26-2009 at 02:33 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-26-2009, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

SC vs. Delta

Thanks for everyone's replies. Unfortunately, not enough info to assist in making the decision. Sounds like Delta makes a good DT, and I'm going to call them to see if they have improved the switch.

DDB

P.S. to dbhost: If I decide to buy two, I'll send you one.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-31-2009, 10:37 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
I have one on order from Woodcraft. They keep promising it'll be here soon. I've been waiting over a month. I can tell you about it when I finally and actually get it.
It finally arrived, not a bad machine, love the quill travel! Any questions about it I can look up for you?
post #7 of 14 Old 04-01-2009, 09:05 AM

View mmtools's Photo Album My Photos
I have the SC. Awesome drill press!! Quill travel is a real advantage. The engineers at SC have really thought about the end user.

Mike O
Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans ... are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit. - Anthony Bourdain
Toolsandmachinery.com
post #8 of 14 Old 04-02-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

I bought the Steel City. Seems to be of good quality. The belts squeak, but the SC rep assured me that would stop once broken in. Also, when the motor is slowing after turning it off, it abruptly rumbles, vibrates and stops. The rep told me that it is supposed to do this. Has something to do with jumping circuits??? or somthing like that so it will be prepared to start when turned on again.

Anyone else experience these issues?
post #9 of 14 Old 05-01-2009, 12:07 AM
Addicted to tools

View BobbyfromHouston's Photo Album My Photos
Confounded,
I got a product called belt dressing from the auto parts store. It is used to stop squeaks on car belts. I heard about it from Tormek DVD. It really works and only costs a couple of bucks.
Bobby
post #10 of 14 Old 05-04-2009, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Bobby. I'll get some.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 AM

View nubie's Photo Album My Photos
how's your delta 17-959l working out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Beasley View Post
Gary,
I am thinking of buying the delta 979 drill press. It's my first drill press. I am failry new to woodworking as a hobby; been making cabinets and plant stands for family members. All my joinery to date has been w/biscuts. Now I want to move to mortise and tennons. So, the drill press. I am hoping I can add the delta mortising attachment to do mortises.

First, are you happy with the Delta?

Second, do you know if the delta mortising attachment will fit the 959L. Reason I ask is that Woodworkers Supply sells them but their description of what it fits lists the Delta 17-925 and 17-965; not the 17-959.

I ran into a similar mess with my freud router and an edge guide. Had to send it back.

Any help here would be appreciated,
Thanks,
John the nubie.
post #12 of 14 Old 10-05-2009, 12:53 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I don't own one but

I haven't heard great things about mortising attachments for drill presses. I would not get a drill press just for that reason alone. I think there are threads here that review mortising attachments, if you check. You might be better off with a deicated mortsing machine or a jig called the Mortise Pal, which I have heard good things about. JMO
Here's a link: mortiser vs router mortise jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubie View Post
Gary,
I am thinking of buying the delta 979 drill press. It's my first drill press. I am failry new to woodworking as a hobby; been making cabinets and plant stands for family members. All my joinery to date has been w/biscuts. Now I want to move to mortise and tennons. So, the drill press. I am hoping I can add the delta mortising attachment to do mortises.

Second, do you know if the delta mortising attachment will fit the 959L. Reason I ask is that Woodworkers Supply sells them but their description of what it fits lists the Delta 17-925 and 17-965; not the 17-959.

I ran into a similar mess with my freud router and an edge guide. Had to send it back.

Thanks,
John the nubie.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 10-06-2009 at 07:16 AM.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Senior Sawdust Sweeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubie View Post
Gary,

Thanks,
John the nubie.
It was actually the Steel City DP and I'm quite happy with it. A friend gave me a Delta mortising attachment and it mounted up like it was made for it and fairly quickly too for having never done it before. Not a bad option to have around if you don't use mortises too often.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-05-2009, 11:38 PM

View NKYDarrell's Photo Album My Photos
what about a Jet 17" DP? it looks to be about $40 cheaper than the SC. unfortunately I don't know much about either one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode