Ridgid Band Saw 14'' Seriously, is this what you've come to? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 19 Old 02-08-2011, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

View Devon7234's Photo Album My Photos
Ridgid Band Saw 14'' Seriously, is this what you've come to?

Skip to the bottom of my rant if you just want a review of this piece of garbage band saw.

Rant Begin:

Dear Ridgid,

I purchased your 14 inch bandsaw a few days ago. I was super excited to get some nominal lumber from these holly, oak and cherry logs. Because your product boasts "this band saw's 3/4 hp induction motor produces enough power to resaw up to 6 In. thick solid oak." I was certain there would be no issue with my 4.5 inch diameter logs! After two and a half hours of assembly, ensuring every bolt, washer, lock washer and nut found its correct home I was gleaming with excitement as I turned on your orange monster. I wasn't expecting the earth shaking vibration nor the squealing sound of metal on metal. After a few adjustments, I made my first cut. After adjusting for drift I was content with the cuts in my 1/2 inch scrap plywood. I immediately then installed a top of the line 4 inches per tooth, half-inch blade. I adjusted for drift yet again and then chose a prized log of cherry I was certain would make some GREAT lumber! At almost 5 inches in diameter I would cristen my new wood shop king with nothing but my best. But first, lets tune it.
Multiple shopping trips later, automotive weights, lubricant, and belt I was POSITIVE some serious Paul Bunion lumber jacking was about to go down. Timber wolf blade howling, 15 AMP motor screaming, it was on.

"Where did I go wrong? Do you not like Cherry? Does it not please your sophisticated Asian palate? Perhaps you need some blade lubrication? Certainly. Please, allow me to liberally apply some of this paraffin substance to your newly sheathed Timberwolf blade. Oh? Your wheels are substantially out of balance? Allow me to fix that with some automotive weights. Your drive belt is what? Were they not careful in your assembly? Did they crease and deform the only form of communication between your supposed oak-slaughtering 15 AMP extreme-cutting-power-possessing motor and blade? Absolutely, I will replace it with a top of the line equipment."
Before I slam this saw into deep right like Barry Bonds, I will outline the pros of this piece of "equipment." Then, in a typical steroid user "roid-rage fashion" I will rain down hell and furry upon this orange abomination.

Pros:
1. The installation manual(s) came in 4 different languages.
2. I picked it up for $330.27.
3. It has a "high visibility" extension cord.
4. It slices through 1 inch wood with ease.
5. There is a place to hold extra bandsaw blades on the pulley cover.

Cons:
1.The assembly instructions are poorly written and the pictures are substandard to Harbor Freight's.
2. All components are coated in a Russian Arms lubricant that will stain anything and everything that comes into contact.
3. The hardware "box" with punch out nuts and bolts unfortunately had severe smearing amongst the lettering, making it impossible to differentiate between pieces.
4. Some hardware parts were missing. I.E. small star shaped lock washers.
5. The bevel gauge is useless.
6. The wheels are SEVERELY out of balance. Seriously? Isn't that what a BANDSAW IS ABOUT RIDGID?
7. The wheels are not coplanar by any means.
8. The pulley belt is worthless.
9. The stock blade is worthless.
10. The rubber grommets to dampen vibration are worthless.
11. In fact, putting weight at the base of the machine just shifts the momentum up and causes more blade drift.
12. The stupid saw table corners protrude, making adjusting for drift angle just a lil more difficult.
13. Blade guard adjustment is a joke.
14. Tension gauge is difficult to read.
15. Saw chokes up and hesitates on anything over an inch and a half.
16. Doors like to open randomly due to vibration.
17. Dust goes EVERYWHERE even with appropriate suction.

Rant End:

14 inch bandsaw by Ridgid. It's made in China. It has terrible engineering, lacks power, and above all is made with junk parts. You can tune it for ~$100 and have an average bandsaw. For $430 + dollars just go buy something real. I was terribly disappointed and will be returning this pile of junk in the AM. Nor will I ever purchase anything by Ridgid again. I used to always scoff at people who would only purchase items made in the USA. I wasted 20+ hours working with this thing. Save yourself the time and money and just buy something old and used from Craigslist.

Last edited by Devon7234; 02-08-2011 at 02:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-08-2011, 03:08 AM
ACP

View ACP's Photo Album My Photos
That blows. There are almost no reviews I know of where people like this saw. The ones that people do write positively are after all the aftermarket BS (not bandsaw, the other BS). Ridgid should do the right thing and pull this saw from the market. They make some good stuff, but they make some junk too. Seems like lately more to the latter.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-08-2011, 04:51 AM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
That's pretty bad. Never had that many problems even with 60 year old saws, or mills, etc.

Tell them I'll give them 50 bucks for the parts, haven't seen a machine yet, that I couldn't fix.

Harrison, at your service!
post #4 of 19 Old 02-08-2011, 05:01 AM
The village amadán.

View Mr Mac's Photo Album My Photos
Nothing sucks more than dropping a large sum of cash only to find out the product you bought wasn't worth the price of the carton it came in! If you have enough cash in hand after returning that one, head over to Lowe's and check out the PC band saw. It's still a Chinese made saw but the reviews are a lot better.

But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. James 3:17

Last edited by Mr Mac; 02-08-2011 at 05:06 AM.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-08-2011, 07:30 AM
No Longer Here

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
I feel bad for you, and I know that you're not alone in being disappointed in the Ridgid bandsaw. Their BS and former lathe are fairly well documented as being the weak links in their lineup. Being made in China is not the cause....poor engineering, poor quality, and poor execution of this particular tool are the culprit. By avoiding everything with the Ridgid name, you'll be limiting yourself from some pretty good tools....ya just never know when they'll offer a good tool at a great price, and will end up depriving yourself of that opportunity.

The vast majority of tools are made in China these days, and a surprising number of formerly well regarded brand names have some clunkers in their lineup. There aren't many sure-fire choices these days....unfortunately, you have to research and check each tool. I suspect once the dust settles you may take a less emotional approach....good luck!
post #6 of 19 Old 02-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
One word,price-point(PP).Deep subject to be sure.And a shame that folks have to have a degree in engineering to be able to pick good from bad?Or further,a blooimn machine shop to fix whats wrong with lower end PP equip.

Not to put the Grizz up on a pedestal or anything,at least they give you a choice?And if you call their techline and speek with someone,they'll usually steer you straight(its an application thing).They're on a PP too,but are more forthright in how they push things on consumer.

Take the BS back,find a better one.....look at it like a learning curve.Best,BW
post #7 of 19 Old 02-08-2011, 07:39 PM

View Julian the woodnut's Photo Album My Photos
I feel you. I have one that I have had to balance the wheels myself. I installed a larger motor on a 3/4 plywood board and tossed out the grommets. Then I installed a 6" riser block and new tension spring AND carter ball bearing guides. This saw still isn't working properly and I wish I had just cut my losses and sold it before dumping hundreds of dollars at it hoping it would work better. For what I spent I could have bought a 17" grizzly and been happy.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-11-2011, 08:25 PM

View Howard Ferstler's Photo Album My Photos
I think the saw is not quite so bad as you indicated. You had a lot more trouble than I did, and maybe your model was a dud. Frankly, just about any tool one purchases needs to be modified a bit to satisfy the new owner. My situation was that way with that saw, and after I diddled a bit it turned into a pretty good machine. I even did a review of it on this web site at:

Ridgid BS1400 band saw

A photo of my modified unit is attached.

Howard Ferstler
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Howard Ferstler For This Useful Post:
Woodlvr (02-25-2011)
post #9 of 19 Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 AM

View dejones's Photo Album My Photos
I too am happy with the saw once I invested the $100 (you rightly estimated) and tuned it (balanced and aligned wheels; new motor belt; removed rubber bushings under motor; 1/2" 3TPI Timberwolf blade). It ain't built for speed, to borrow a phrase, but it does the cuts I ask of it (6" by 1/16" piece of veneer for instance).

In regards to new saws at this price-point, I bet they all are made in China (who knows, maybe at the same factory - they certainly all look very similar and often can use the same 6" extender package) and I also would not be surprised to hear that other brands may well on occasion need to have their wheels balanced and/or aligned.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-25-2011, 08:16 PM

View Woodlvr's Photo Album My Photos
I purchased my BS1400 4-5 years ago and have only cut up to 5" logs. I did have to get a good 3tpi blade for it. I am sorry that yours was such a pain. I have the 6" riser on mine and really hate changing blades because you have to remove the extra blade guard inside. Howard Thanks for posting the pic of your band saw, I really like your extended table. Did you design it yourself or is it from a plan?
post #11 of 19 Old 02-25-2011, 08:29 PM
HALL OF FAMER

View Kenbo's Photo Album My Photos
Although I have rarely seen a tool come ready to use right out of the crate, I also would never accept having to spend money to modify or tune up a tool that I just spent my hard earned money on. Substandard parts and poor engineering of a tool can not only cause frustration, but personal injury. I would be contacting Rigid and demanding some form of compensation for your time, and your extra expense. Modifying a tool because you want to is one thing, but modifying a tool because you have to in order to get it to work correctly, especially when it is new, is unacceptable.
Sorry to hear about your frustration.
Ken

There is a very fine line between a "hobby" and a "mental illness"
post #12 of 19 Old 02-26-2011, 09:53 AM
RAM Man

View sweensdv's Photo Album My Photos
Home Depot has a 90 Day No Questions Asked return policy on Ridgid tools. I would just return it and get your money back. A little research on your part before you purchased this saw would have alerted you to the many problems with this saw.

Dave

Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-26-2011, 11:25 AM

View Adillo303's Photo Album My Photos
I bought a 14" Rigid band saw used off ebay. I think I paid something like $175.00 for it. I put new silicone tires and the Carter bearing guides on it. It has done everything I have asked it to do. I have to add that I have not done any resawing yet. The only thing that went wrong with it was the tensioner hung up. I bought the Carter Acme thread tensioner and am quite pleased. Is older better?
post #14 of 19 Old 02-28-2011, 07:39 PM

View Howard Ferstler's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlvr View Post
I purchased my BS1400 4-5 years ago and have only cut up to 5" logs. I did have to get a good 3tpi blade for it. I am sorry that yours was such a pain. I have the 6" riser on mine and really hate changing blades because you have to remove the extra blade guard inside. Howard Thanks for posting the pic of your band saw, I really like your extended table. Did you design it yourself or is it from a plan?
All my design. The wood was actually cut from some scrap 2x4 boards I had laying around. The screws were from my collected stock. The wood-table mod cost me nothing.

I modify all of my tools, and I mean all of them. Sometimes I improve on a design or assembly flaw and sometimes I just want a feature that works OK for some people to work differently for me. The upgrade and modifications were not really a pain to do at all. I rather like diddling with tools to make them work better. Perfecting tools is one of the many fun things about woodworking.

My guess is that the Ridgid band saw is a generic item that comes from the same factory that a lot of other-brand versions that some people rave about originate. Some people beef about a product, simply because they are not adept enough to get it to work properly. Some of the other complaints (not yours) seem to be like that.

Howard Ferstler
post #15 of 19 Old 03-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
It looks like you didn't do your homework prior to putting down your cash... The Ridgid band saw has a pretty bad reputation among reviewers. It looks pretty in the store, but that is about it... At the price point I could afford when I bought my band saw it was up to the Lowes Delta, the Home Depot Ridgid, or Harbor Freight's Central Machinery... The Central Machinery was the best option I had. Sad statement but true... Now having said that, I wish I could have coughed up the bucks for a Grizzly G0555X... Those are really nice saws...

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #16 of 19 Old 03-01-2011, 08:39 PM

View haugerm's Photo Album My Photos
You know, it's kind of odd that Ridgid's replaced several well reviewed table saw models in the last few years, but it hasn't changed its band saw, which has been getting crappy reviews since it came out. Does this make sense to anyone?
--Matt

Last edited by haugerm; 03-01-2011 at 08:41 PM.
post #17 of 19 Old 03-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Chronic Tool Addict

View Yeorwned's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Yeorwned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
Nothing sucks more than dropping a large sum of cash only to find out the product you bought wasn't worth the price of the carton it came in! If you have enough cash in hand after returning that one, head over to Lowe's and check out the PC band saw. It's still a Chinese made saw but the reviews are a lot better.
I'm about to sell my PC branded bandsaw. I contacted them, and of course, Porter Cable didn't make this bandsaw. They licensed out their name to some other company and have nothing to do with the actual design and production of the tool.

It seems to take about $400 to upgrade the bandsaw to make it do what I was hoping so I bought the Powermatic model and have been saying bad words to it too during setup. Whoever designed the motor/belt tension design needs to be taken out back and beaten badly.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-20-2011, 03:58 PM

View Woodworkingkid's Photo Album My Photos
Its realy sad that a compony would knowinly sell junk. Its also realy to bad that so many tool componys dont care about there rep anymore
post #19 of 19 Old 04-21-2011, 05:20 AM

View Adillo303's Photo Album My Photos
As of last weekend, I resawed a 6" chunk of hard maple and one of purpleheart. It is not a speed demon, I can still say that it has done everything I asked it to.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode