Diamond Stones - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 12-21-2015, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Diamond Stones

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301685257443...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Picked up one of those on a lark about 2 weeks ago and it finally showed up today (thanks post office!). Anyway, cursory check shows its about as flat as i really need a stone to be, given that i only really use stones on my knives anyway, and other than some staining seems to be in good shape. Now, only time will tell if it holds up as something like a DMT stone, but at the same time, its $6. Thats a risk im willing to take

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-23-2015, 05:57 PM

View Robson Valley's Photo Album My Photos
Any idea of the grit size? Monocrystalline?
When the day comes that I start buying ceramic kitchen knives, only a diamond plate can sharpen them.
I'd try to find 1000g or finer. White or black blades just don't appeal to me.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-23-2015, 06:09 PM
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
I've been wanting to get some diamond sharpening stones for some time. In the latest Woodcraft flyer which applies to Dec 26-Jan 29th, the DMT 8" DuoSharp Stones with bases are each on sale for $80. They are regularly priced $104.50. Grit combos listed in flyer are Extra Fine/Fine (1200/600) and Fine/Coarse (600/325). Since I will be near the KC store on Jan 9th, I may stop in and look at them.

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz

post #4 of 13 Old 12-24-2015, 12:51 AM

View hwebb99's Photo Album My Photos
I have a DMT 8" extra fine and course combo stone. I have another fine grit 6" stone. The DMT stone was expensive, but worth it. Definitely get the 8 inch long on over the 6". I don't care much for the ceramic kitchen knifes. They break too easy.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-10-2016, 02:30 AM
DRTYBYRD

View abetrman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301685257443...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Picked up one of those on a lark about 2 weeks ago and it finally showed up today (thanks post office!). Anyway, cursory check shows its about as flat as i really need a stone to be, given that i only really use stones on my knives anyway, and other than some staining seems to be in good shape. Now, only time will tell if it holds up as something like a DMT stone, but at the same time, its $6. Thats a risk im willing to take
Hey Epic...any update based on usage? How's it holding up?
post #6 of 13 Old 01-10-2016, 06:01 AM

View Joeb41's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
I've been wanting to get some diamond sharpening stones for some time. In the latest Woodcraft flyer which applies to Dec 26-Jan 29th, the DMT 8" DuoSharp Stones with bases are each on sale for $80. They are regularly priced $104.50. Grit combos listed in flyer are Extra Fine/Fine (1200/600) and Fine/Coarse (600/325). Since I will be near the KC store on Jan 9th, I may stop in and look at them.
I bought my DMT 8" fine/extra fine on Amazon for $65.14, a lot less than Woodcraft sale price. I am totally happy with it but still finish my plane irons and chisels on a fine India stone. Old habits are hard to break, but my wife has the sharpest kitchen knives on the block.

Joe B. 41
The Following User Says Thank You to Joeb41 For This Useful Post:
mikeswoods (01-10-2016)
post #7 of 13 Old 01-10-2016, 10:00 AM

View mikeswoods's Photo Album My Photos
I keep a cheap set in my truck---I like that they don't break----

I sharpen my pocket knife at stoplights---And they are just the thing for dressing up chisels on site.

I am old fashioned and still use stones in the shop----
post #8 of 13 Old 01-10-2016, 10:44 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
I have several of these

These are so cheap I've bought 4 of them over the years. I keep one in the kitchen for daily sharpening of SS knives, one or two in the woodshop for knives and chisels and a spare, for just in case...
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-sided...ock-92867.html

I also have the DMT diamond stones and some Japanese waterstones and Norton 3 sided carborundum stone with an oil bath tray. However, most often I'll just touch up a blade on the HF 4 sided one. Honing with water stones requires a good several hour time frame, if I want a perfect glass like finish in my experience, and I don't always want to take that amount of time.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 01-10-2016 at 11:43 AM.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-10-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by abetrman View Post
Hey Epic...any update based on usage? How's it holding up?
Pretty good actually. Cuts pretty fast through the steel I use in my knives and leaves a good edge. I did discover there's a very, very slight bend towards the middle though. Nothing major, but enough that I probably won't use it on my chisels. Don't mind though, for $5 its working pretty well!

I need cheaper hobby
post #10 of 13 Old 01-10-2016, 05:26 PM
DRTYBYRD

Quote:
Pretty good actually. Cuts pretty fast through the steel I use in my knives and leaves a good edge. I did discover there's a very, very slight bend towards the middle though. Nothing major, but enough that I probably won't use it on my chisels. Don't mind though, for $5 its working pretty well!
Glad to hear it worked out in your favor. While I agree the price was worth giving them a shot, it always sucks when something does not turn out to be as good as you hoped. I gonna take a swing at them as well.

Thanks for sharing!
post #11 of 13 Old 01-10-2016, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by abetrman View Post
Glad to hear it worked out in your favor. While I agree the price was worth giving them a shot, it always sucks when something does not turn out to be as good as you hoped. I gonna take a swing at them as well.

Thanks for sharing!
No, it turned out as well as I hoped. For $5 I didn't have high hopes

I need cheaper hobby
The Following User Says Thank You to epicfail48 For This Useful Post:
abetrman (01-11-2016)
post #12 of 13 Old 01-12-2016, 01:15 AM
DRTYBYRD

Quote:
No, it turned out as well as I hoped. For $5 I didn't have high hopes
Understood!
post #13 of 13 Old 04-29-2016, 10:10 PM

View allpurpose's Photo Album My Photos
I have 1 6" diamond stone then polish up with finer sandpapers on glass, but I'm going to invest in the 8" x 3" DMT stones from the dmt online store and stay away FOREVER from bestshapeningstones.com They just take your money and you receive nothing in return. I'll probably buy one a month till I have what I want.

I figured it's time to change my signature so hold your breath. This is it.
Impressive, huh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode