craftsman 22114 table saw - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 05-05-2008, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

View clarionflyer's Photo Album My Photos
craftsman 22114 table saw

There was some interest about this saw on another thread. And someone requested a review so here goes…

Yes, it’s a Craftsman. No, it’s not a boat anchor (it is heavy though). I’ve had this saw for 2 years now and I’ve been very impressed. For those on the fence about making the plunge away from that portable, but are afraid of the price… check out this saw. I’ve often seen it on sale for a little over $400 (got mine for a lot less) and once you make that first cut you’ll wonder how you got by without a non-portable. Set-up is fairly straight forward, but take the time to adjust it true (obviously). I got mine adjusted right on the first day (2 hours adjustment), and haven’t had to change anything since. Let’s see… flat table (read complaints about this though), super smooth and quiet motor, very sturdy (even large sheets of ply), adjustment wheels spin smooth, extended miter with stop, surprisingly good stock blade, dust collection (heard it’s good… I don’t have mine hooked up yet)… pretty much all the goodies. I intended on replacing the fence with a Beisy but after using the original, I really couldn’t see why. It has stayed completely true for 2 years, slides smooth, comes with it’s own stock block, measuring gauge is right on, and has slots all over it for attachments. For feather boards, sacrificial fence, etc… I use T-bolts… slide’em on and tighten (no more clamps). It’s so heavy and sturdy I attached an outfeed table right to the saw with 2 little legs on the back. I plan on doing a better job once I have some time, but for now it works great (looks a little crazy though… I’ll try to send some pictures… not too good with that).

Ok… bad things. It’s a Craftsman and has that name hanging on the front. The plastic door latch on the side didn’t work (made my own). As is discussed in the thread this started from… after the saw is turned off… about 3 seconds from a complete stop, on spool down… it starts ticking. My first thought was #$%$, bearings are bad. But after 2 years of running the saw, I don’t think it’s the bearings, could be a brake. Still not sure, but it runs smooth as can be while on… stumped. It took me a year to run 220v out to the garage. Should’ve done that a long time ago. The 110v setup on my old farmhouse wires would dim the lights in Moscow. It has a pretty big motor for 110v. I ran 220v straight from the box… hoorah, runs like a sewing machine.
Initially, rust on the table was a problem, more so than my other tools (Ohio garage… swing temps). I tried Mother’s, Boeing, and just about everything else. Then I came upon “Tri-Flow”. I think it has silicon and a million other things, but it seems fine (being a hobby woodworker). I haven’t noticed any ill affects on my finish (finished about 4 big projects using it).

Now I’m rambling. Basically it’s been an amazingly good saw for me. I just happened to walk by it and saw it on sale for $400. Called the wife to get permission (sweating) and she reminded me that we had $200 in gift cards. Sold American for $200. Buy of a lifetime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resaw1.jpg
Views:	1988
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	3331  

Name:	resaw2.jpg
Views:	9942
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	3332  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-05-2008, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Resaw

Here's a couple pics of the fence. I threw my sacrificial fence in there too (notice the T bolts and slots... they work great).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	resaw3.jpg
Views:	1669
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	3333  

Name:	resaw4.jpg
Views:	3524
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	3334  

post #3 of 9 Old 05-05-2008, 10:35 AM
No Longer Here

View knotscott's Photo Album My Photos
Nice review and a really slick setup you've got there CF! Alot of folks really like those Orion made hybrids, and they seem to have very few complaints. You probably know this, but Orion is owned by Steel City and they make the SC hybrids too....pretty much the same guts as your saw.

Ever consider sliding those rails to the right a tad for more rip capacity on that side? You're not very likely to ever need rip capacity on the left for a left tilt saw....
post #4 of 9 Old 05-05-2008, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Oooh. Never thought o' that. Thanks.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-06-2008, 03:03 PM
Thumb Nailer

View dbhost's Photo Album My Photos
Good write up! Thanks.

Interested in my woodworking, workshop and whatnot? See http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com, want to see my other interests such as hunting, fishing, off roading, and camping? See http://wildersport-outdoors.blogspot.com
post #6 of 9 Old 05-07-2008, 11:27 AM

View Gerry KIERNAN's Photo Album My Photos
Good review.
I wish I could find a saw like that for $400.

Gerry
post #7 of 9 Old 05-08-2008, 11:02 PM
No Longer Here

View user4178's Photo Album My Photos
craftsman 22114 table saw

Tri-Flow has Teflon in it, I don't think silicone. Works really good on guns. I think most manufactures recommend a paste wax like Johnsons hardwood floor wax. I've been useing the Minwax version of it and have been happy with it.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-09-2008, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

To be honest, right after I used Mother's wax, we had a crazy temperature day in Ohio. It changed temp from about 30 to 75 by 11 am.. When I walked in the shop, it looked like somebody let a garden hose loose in there. Probably too much to ask from any product.
Out of frustration I grabbed the Tri-Flow and cleaned it up with that. It did a great job and I thought, what the heck, I'll leave it on.
I can't imagine anything protecting as good but, once again, to be honest I sand my projects thoroughly by hand before the finish.
But I'll give the Johnson's a try.

Oh and someone asked. My saw had been sold... the guy started sorting the parts and realized he had the wrong saw delivered. After sending the saw back to Sears, they couldn't sell it as new (even if was never put together), so they put it out as "used"... $400. But I have seen this saw in the Craftsman club for around $450. I'd pay that any day for this saw.
Thanks again for the info guys.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-17-2008, 12:29 AM

View top's Photo Album My Photos
nice saw i have a craftsman model no. 315.228510 got it in 1999 and love nice large table has nice rip fence stay true slide smooth have a pic of it in my ab top shop check it out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode