Wanted Exotic/figured Wood Scraps - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 8 Old 10-19-2016, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
Exotic/figured Wood Scraps

Looking for any bits and pieces with some interesting grain. Burls, curly, quilted, exotics, whatever random offcuts youve got hanging around. Dont need any huge planks, just if youve got some pieces at least 1/4 inch thick and maybe an inch wide, im interested, just anything that looks good.

I cant offer a whole lot of cash, but I can offer a little if youve got an old shoebox of offcuts you want to get rid of. I can also do a trade, swap for a knife or something

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-19-2016, 09:36 AM

View mikechell's Photo Album My Photos
You might need to take a walk in the woods.
Any patch of woods in any sub-division. Usually, no one bothers going in them, and fallen wood is left to rot. It's where I've been getting the pieces I'm working on ... when I get a break in the job that will let me get back to working on them.

I really do love my job ... but it uses up so much time !!!
post #3 of 8 Old 10-19-2016, 03:52 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Do Not sell yourself short, bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfail48 View Post
Looking for any bits and pieces with some interesting grain. Burls, curly, quilted, exotics, whatever random offcuts youve got hanging around. Dont need any huge planks, just if youve got some pieces at least 1/4 inch thick and maybe an inch wide, im interested, just anything that looks good.

I cant offer a whole lot of cash, but I can offer a little if youve got an old shoebox of offcuts you want to get rid of. I can also do a trade, swap for a knife or something
There would have to be a whole lot of exotic scraps to have equal value for a knife of yours... ask me how I know that. I would value your knives and sheaths over $100.00, and you can get a lot of scraps for that money. Besides, you are "cash poor" so why trade away your time when you could use the money? Keeping with the "business decisions" here....

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo

Last edited by woodnthings; 10-19-2016 at 05:07 PM.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-19-2016, 04:58 PM

You can get some really good looking blank from a few old logs.
These are from the wooded lot next door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sled.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	258402  

post #5 of 8 Old 10-19-2016, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
There would have to be a whole lot of exotic scraps to have equal value for a knife of yours... ask me how I know that. I would value your knives and sheaths over $100.00, and you can get a lot of scraps for that money. Besides, you are "cash poor" so why trade away your time when you could use the money? Keeping with the "business decisions" here....
Dont get me wrong, i sell the knives too, i dont always just give them away. Sometimes though its worth swapping a marking knife for a shoebox of random species that i havent worked before. Thats how i found out rosewood makes a darn fine knife handle, after all

Id love to put a few of my blades in the classified section, but unfortunately that goes against forum rules. I can put the etsy link in my sig though!

I need cheaper hobby
post #6 of 8 Old 10-19-2016, 06:24 PM

Considering that the handles are, indeed, woodworking ... why can't you post your knives there?
post #7 of 8 Old 10-20-2016, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechell View Post
Considering that the handles are, indeed, woodworking ... why can't you post your knives there?
The sticky at the top of the classified section has in bold red letters that items not directly related to woodworking arent allowed any longer. I agree with you, the handle are woodworking, but at the same time id rather not piss off the mods by finding out my thread would violate the rules.

That said, if any mods wanna chime in with a definite answer as to whether or not id be allowed to throw some knives in the classifieds, id appreciate it!

I need cheaper hobby
post #8 of 8 Old 10-20-2016, 08:17 AM

I believe that statement about non-woodworking related pertains to regular "E-bay" posted items. Or it should pertain to that stuff, only. You make the knives, handles and sheaths ... which puts you squarely in the interest zone of most potential buyers on this site.

How about it, Administrators ... ???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode