Working with African Mahogany? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 10-21-2008, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

View thekctermite's Photo Album My Photos
Working with African Mahogany?

I'm about to begin building a new king-size bed and nightstand for my wife and I. I went to my wood supplier planning to buy oak and came home with African Mahogany. (and a lighter wallet)

I've never used this wood before and have a couple questions.

First...Glueing. Can I use regular titebond? I've heard of cleaning some exotics with acetone before gluing. Is that necessary with African Mahogany? I also have some Titebond extended open-time glue that I bought for the project...There are a lot of parts that have to be glued and clamped in the same operation. Everything will be mortise and tenon joinery. I'll be laminating 6/4 stock for the legs and laminating 4/4x10 stock for the stretchers...Just want to make sure that the glue joints will be as strong as they'd be with domestic hardwoods like poplar or oak.

Second...Finishing. I'm using teak oil to bring out the rich color and make the grain pop a little. I tried it on a test piece and it looks awesome. I'm thinking of using wipe-on poly over that, as I don't want the "clear coat" look. Thoughts? Ideas? A friend suggested wax instead of poly. The can of oil says to wait 72 hours before applying poly, so I'm assuming they're compatible.

Also, is there anything that I should be concerned with when sanding this wood? Can I sand it too fine? I usually sand to 220 at least, sometimes 320. It seems to have fairly open grain and I'm worried that I'll need to sand it down considerably to get the fuzzy open grain to lay down.

Last, any toxicity issues with the dust? I have little experience with the exotics.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-21-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Here's the queen size oak version of the bed I'm building in African Mahogany. I just sold this one last week when we got the new matress...Sweet bed...Broke my heart to let it go after building it myself a few years ago.
Attached Images

post #3 of 15 Old 10-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
I have only bad things to say about African Mahogany. I have ordered two large batches of it and cursed it every inch of the way. The wood looks nice, it is easy to cut, it will glue well. Sometimes you get a fuzzy grained pc. But I have had horrible luck with cutting stability. When you cut the wood it moves, a lot. When you joint the wood it will not stay flat. When you run it through your planer it changes shape. I had a tough time getting trued 3/4" material out of 5/4 stock.

Man, I hope you have better luck with it than me.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #4 of 15 Old 10-21-2008, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Man, I hope you have better luck with it than me.
I hope so too!
post #5 of 15 Old 10-22-2008, 09:27 AM

Location: Full time cruising on my boat. Currently on the Tenn. River in NW Alabama in Jo
View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
I had no problem with it

It worked like any other mahogany or similar grained hardwood.
Leo, was your piece straight grained or gnarly?

Tony B

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, and now full time cruising the waterways on my boat.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Senior Sawdust Producer

Both. I tried it twice and vowed never to use it again. I hope his is like yours and not like mine. Man, do I hope.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-06-2008, 03:36 PM

View Julian the woodnut's Photo Album My Photos
I have used quite a bit of 8/4 stock that I got for a song and a dance and loved using it. I have built numerous longboard skateboards, and furniture with it, with no problems. Titebond 2 works just fine with it, and any finish looks good on it, especially shellac. Maybe the pieces that you guys have had bad luck with were dried incorrectly?

Last edited by Julian the woodnut; 11-06-2008 at 03:41 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Pianoman

View pianoman's Photo Album My Photos
I have worked with Afican Mahogany and loved the experience. My boards had some areas where the grain was a little fuzzy...but it did not cause any problems. I finnished my project with Formby`s whatever...about 4 coats with no sealer. First sanded to 220...then started applying Formby`s with cheese-cloth. I sanded between coats with 400 grit lightly...the more coats...the further I could go with just a damp cloth. I did scrape the top...it was a coffee table. Getting back to the fuzzy grain problem...I`m not sure why that happens. I recently bought some Poplar or Magnolia that was planed to 1" thick and it was really fuzzy...I had to seal it just so I could sand it down to 220 grit. Maybe someone here knows how or why that happens. I don`t recall having to seal before sanding anything in the past...and I`ve been doing this for a long time! Maybe there is a drying practice today that causes this aggravating problem. Rick

Never... I mean always... never mind Rick
post #9 of 15 Old 11-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Pianoman

View pianoman's Photo Album My Photos
Sorry about the spelling Rick

Never... I mean always... never mind Rick
post #10 of 15 Old 11-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

Really glad to hear you didn't have my experience

post #11 of 15 Old 11-07-2008, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Status report...

I've surfaced all of my mahogany and am storing it on edge. It is staying pretty stable, except for two pieces that I've deemed uncontrollable. I've done the glue-ups for the legs and the stretchers, and will be cutting the mortises and tenons this weekend.

Titebond (the long open time variety) is working quite well.

I've found that the stuff is really a challenge to plane due to the varying grain, probably because I was using a crappy plane. It was a good excuse for me to invest in two good antique stanleys...A #4 and a # 5-1/2...Both of which perform flawlessly.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Senior Sawdust Producer

Quote:
deemed uncontrollable
I coined the term "Wildwood" for that species. You have found a few pieces of what I ended up getting. Try getting a load of 350 BF of that and then go about

post #13 of 15 Old 11-07-2008, 12:15 PM

View 16ga's Photo Album My Photos
Iíve used the stuff and never had any real problems with it. But most of the stuff I used it for was small stuff.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-10-2008, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Well, the project is coming along. I scored a lot of highly-figured 5/4 stock that the cabinet shops avoid because of the figure (according to the shop I buy it from). I had an extra 12" piece after a glue-up lamination, so I cut it off and finished it because the suspense was killing me.

I used teak oil. The attached picture is with one coat of gloss wipe-on poly over the teak oil.

I'm a happy camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2499.jpg
Views:	19950
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	5443  

post #15 of 15 Old 11-11-2008, 12:07 AM

View djonesax's Photo Album My Photos
thats gonna look nice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode