Woodworking Talk banner

Workbench

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  mmtools 
#1 ·
Just getting started in the woodworking community and would like to build a cabinet makers workbench. What wood should I use. Anyone have some planes, ideas. I would like it to be at least 5' long by 24" wide and 35 inches high with bench dog holes and maybe some drawers if it not to complicated. Thanks Kevin

#2 ·
Kevin,
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a good project for a new woodworker. I don't have any plans, but if you google the subject, I am sure you won't have any trouble finding something to suit your needs. I would probably use either hard maple or beech, with a few pieces of some dark contrasting wood for racing stripes, just to jazz it up a little.
Mike Hawkins;)

#8 ·
DON'T use pine for the top! Way to soft. Go with Maple or Beech, or if you want a "replaceable" top skin, good quality MDF. Not particle board. There are very good plans on the web. I think I remember N.A. building one on New Yankee Workshop..

#5 ·
I'm nearly done with my Douglas Fir Bench (Pics to come in the future). Everything included except the vises will only total up to about $200. The vise hardware was another $100. It will be 5' by 30". Something to consider I suppose. I would definitely not use pine for the top. Way too soft. You could use it for the base and laminated a couple pieces of MDF or something together for the top. But I think you $175 will be a hard number to hit if you want a couple vises on it

#6 ·
OK I have been doing woodworking for a few years and did some type of construction for most of my life. I'm not the best with wood types I know cedar, maple, birch, oak, pine, walnut, purple heart, spanish cedar, spruce ect. My question here is unless I'm missing something when you call a lumber yard and ask for "fir" isn't that duglas fir? I know that stuff is like a lot softer then pine.

As for waiting to save money for a better bench, that would depend on how long a wait. A nice workbench is great but if you have a good solid outfeed or assembly table you can still do a lot of woodworking projects until you can build a nice bench out of some good hardwood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.