Woodworking Talk banner

Workbench

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  KevinK 
#1 ·
I'm planning a new work bench for my shop, and noticed in several posts discussions on height vs. the type of work intended for the bench. I don't have the space for several benches and decided on setting the bench height using the floor to wrist crease as mentioned in other posts. Then I ran across a height adjustable bench mechanism (Noden Adjust-A-Bench - Articles & Reviews) and am wondering if any have experience with this product?

Thanks,
doug

#2 ·
I will be frank...looks ridiculous to me. Why ? Because I purpose built my own bench to suit my style of work. It (that contraption you linked) may be the as handy as a pocket on a shirt to some woodworkers. Maybe you ? You need to figure out what you are going to use your bench for and build it accordingly IMO. There have been workbench build discussions here before (I imagine you read them, if not I can link some-one where I built mine for example).

#3 ·
I would think that an adjustable bench may be a selling point to some, but for me, I would agree with Daren. I like my bench, the way that it is without an adjustment. The height adjustment (IMO) might make the bench unstable or worse, top heavy. There is not substitute for a good quality workbench that is tailored to your type of work and your height. A 38" bench (just a random figure) may be fantastic for a 5'8" woodworker but for a 6'3" woodworker, it could be backbreaking. I have never been a believer that more than one bench is necessary (it is nice, yes, but not needed) as long as the one that you have is well thought out. Just a thoughts.
Ken

#5 ·
I can see the merits of an adjustable bench if space does not allow for more than one. I know I vary greatly from project to project as far as the type of work I do.
I still don't think I would spend the money on it though. I built my bench to a happy medium for me.

#6 ·
I guess "ridiculous" was not the best choice of words on my part. I was tired and I guess grouchy when I first replied (ever have one of those days :icon_redface:). Impractical or unnecessary might have been better words (maybe even gadgetry) But just because I am not too much into those impractical-unnecessary gadgets for sure doesn't mean there aren't millions of shops full of them ;). My opinion now that I am in a better mood has not changed though, there is tool money better spent than on one of those bench adjusters.

#8 ·
Just the kind of feedback I was hoping for. Thank you all for your comments and yes Darren, any links to information would be great. Also “ridiculous” was an honest response and as such appreciated.
Stability is one of the concerns I had for a standard width bench and their solution for wider bench looked to me a bit dangerous. I’m beginning to get the idea that a good workbench is like a boat, a series of compromises based on how it’s to be used. And I guess that is my problem, I think I know how it will be used for the immediate projects, but uncertain of whether my current needs will be compatible with future needs. So I’ll build for what I know and address the future when it gets here.
BTW – I would also be grateful for any advice / recommendations on vices for the bench.
Thanks again,
doug

#9 ·
Darren, any links to information would be great.
Here are a couple. The first one is just full of links to plans and such, good thread. http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f9/ok-i-want-to-make-a-work-bench-4021/ Here is my bench thread http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/my-bench-is-done-for-now-4301/

My bench is everything from "meeting table" to outfeed table (set behind my table saw) I have a cedar coffee table 1/2 assembled on it right now. I needed dog holes for holding work flat on the surface, the best part of the bench for me.

#10 ·
I am not going to be much help here but to give
my opinion.

I have three wall mounted work benches, all different
heights. One for sitting, one for miter saw work, the
highest, and one for drill press and band saw and
general assembly of projects.

The low one is four by two feet. the high one is
30" by eight feet. and the middle one is two feet
by 12 feet.

I have a two by four feet table with fold up legs
and a top for the table saw.

And I still don't have enough room at times.

If I was limited to one work bench I would never
get anything done!

#11 ·
Hi

A good reference and helpful book for bench size, weight and design is "Workbenches, from Design and Theory to Construction and Use by Chris Schwartz. This book will help you with everything from types of vises to height and the option of adjustable height. Giving you the pros and cons of each feature you may want on a vise. It has certainly helped me in the design of my bench a plan to build. Anyway check it out.

Good luck
Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.