Wood screws in particle board? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

View Stilts's Photo Album My Photos
Wood screws in particle board?

I am going to install some pullout drawers for pots and pans and stuff. The drawer slides will be attached to the side of the cabinets which are particle board. Will regular wood screws hold?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 06:30 PM

View tvman44's Photo Album My Photos
I prefer deck screws for particle board because I find the course thread holds better.

Bob making sawdust in SW Louisiana
with a EX-21
post #3 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 06:40 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilts View Post
I am going to install some pullout drawers for pots and pans and stuff. The drawer slides will be attached to the side of the cabinets which are particle board. Will regular wood screws hold?
Hi Stilts - My experiences with particle board and screws have not been very positive, especially if any kind of forces are involved.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #4 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 06:50 PM

View bob sacamano's Photo Album My Photos
id put some plywood inside from the floor to the highest slide. mount the slides in that.
particle board is a good as the dust its made from. i hate it

build it right or not at all
post #5 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
I would not use wood screws (the tapered kind). Coarse thread screws...like a drywall screw, but not necessarily a drywall screw, work well. I use a combo pilot/countersinking bit, or just a pilot bit for a starter hole. I drive them slow, with a cordless VSR drill. It has more torque and more controllable driven slow than an electric drill. When near tight, just bump the trigger to pull up tight. This prevents over spinning, which can snap off heads, and cause the threads to lose grip.

post #6 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 07:12 PM

View Sleeper's Photo Album My Photos
After years of assembling cheap particleboard children’s furniture. I have found that drilling a hole and squirting in a little glue before screwing in the screw works very well.

JohnnyB
"I do what I do well, but I still like to dabble in what I don’t do well"
I just like to build with wood and a means to save money by doing it myself.
I've been building things out of wood for 40 years and I'm still just an amateur.

Last edited by Sleeper; 04-12-2012 at 07:21 PM.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob sacamano
id put some plywood inside from the floor to the highest slide. mount the slides in that.
particle board is a good as the dust its made from. i hate it
I am going to use plywood in order for the slides to get past the door hinges. I was actually wondering if the wood screws would hold the plywood to the cabinet well enough. I would then attach the slides to the ply.
post #8 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 PM
egw

View egw's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to egw
There are some course screws that are sold that have a wave on the thread that will help hold the boards well. You may want to experiment with them.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 PM

View Wisteria Wood's Photo Album My Photos
I agree with Sleep. I use poly glue, that foams. But the plywood route is the one I'd take if it was me.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 10:40 PM

View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
You probably know by now - but for the newbies - glue that ply onto the particle board since you're going to be putting pressure on the holding screws.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 11:56 PM

View bob sacamano's Photo Album My Photos
+ 1 on bernie post. glue and screw the plywood. i would make sure the pkywood is sitting on the deck so all the weight is shear and will be on the plywood.

build it right or not at all
post #12 of 13 Old 04-13-2012, 12:40 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Before you make your pull out shelves make sure the door opens enough that the pull out shelf will clear. It's possible you may have to add plywood to the side of the particle board so the pull out will clear the door, especially if the cabinet has European hinges. If you can mount the pull outs to the particle board sides I use as course a screw as I can find and long enough that it almost goes through the particle board.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-22-2012, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. This forum is so helpful and has so many people ray know a lot about what is going on.
I did end up attaching plywood to sides that goes to the ground, which also allowed the drawers to clear the euro hinges.
The drawers are big but seem to be pretty sturdy. The slides were rated for 100 pounds.
The only thing I forgot about while trying to use all the space was to leave enough room to get fingers in to pull bottom one out. There is enough room but barely. I guess if it bugs me then I can drill a half hole at top to grab.
Thanks again.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode