Wood Score - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 11 Old 09-28-2013, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Pain in the A$$

View Burb's Photo Album My Photos
Wood Score

During my monthly Woodturning meeting today, I won a blank from our raffle. It's about 2x2x15 & beautiful Cocobolo. Photo doesn't due it justice. Since I suck at turning, I'm not sure what to do with it as I don't want to waste it. I could slice it up and use it as an accent piece on a few picture frames. I guess time will tell.

Mark
Attached Images

Mark

"Measuring is the enemy of accuracy." Chris Schwartz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Log dog

View Dominick's Photo Album My Photos
We'll cool!!!!
I suck even more at turning, so send to me for practice. Laughing!!!!

When it's rustic......it's rustic
post #3 of 11 Old 09-29-2013, 08:43 AM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
I just picked up a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 12 in cocobolo blank at my local Woodcraft.

I am going to make at least one pizza cutter handle for a Woodcraft kit.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...rning-Kit.aspx

Cut off a 6in piece of your wood and make a handle for a pizza cutter, ice cream scoop, etc.

It is not as difficult to turn shorter pieces. Also good practice.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-29-2013, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Pain in the A$$

Dave,

I coincidentally looked at those pizza cutter kits last weekend. I'll be in Houston next week for 3 days and will likely stop by the Rockler & Woodcraft stores so I might grab a couple then for gifts.

Mark

post #5 of 11 Old 09-29-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
Dave,

I coincidentally looked at those pizza cutter kits last weekend. I'll be in Houston next week for 3 days and will likely stop by the Rockler & Woodcraft stores so I might grab a couple then for gifts.
The Rockler kit is much heavier than the Woodcraft, perhaps too heavy for some people's preference.

I purchased a couple of the Rockler kits. I prefer the weight of the Woodcraft kits. Not light, but not as heavy as the Rockler. I have likely purchased 18 of the Woodcraft kits. Always appreciated as gifts.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-29-2013, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Pain in the A$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine
The Rockler kit is much heavier than the Woodcraft, perhaps too heavy for some people's preference. I purchased a couple of the Rockler kits. I prefer the weight of the Woodcraft kits. Not light, but not as heavy as the Rockler. I have likely purchased 18 of the Woodcraft kits. Always appreciated as gifts.
Thanks for the info. I was just putting together my trip wish list and noticed they are actually on sale at Woodvraft, so I'd likely get there.

Also, Rockler sells a mandrel that goes in a Jacobs Chuck with a 5/16" end on it. Do you use a mandrel, or do you just turn between centers? My thought with the mandrel is after turning , I could completely finish handle end while still on the mandrel.

Mark

post #7 of 11 Old 09-29-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I was just putting together my trip wish list and noticed they are actually on sale at Woodvraft, so I'd likely get there.

Also, Rockler sells a mandrel that goes in a Jacobs Chuck with a 5/16" end on it. Do you use a mandrel, or do you just turn between centers? My thought with the mandrel is after turning , I could completely finish handle end while still on the mandrel.
Yes, the Woodcraft are on sale for $12.99 - which is $5 off. A good deal I feel.

I did a build thread on making a pizza cutter, but since I did this thread I have modified my process.

Making a pizza cutter handle

If you have a 5/16in dia bolt which turns true, you can avoid purchasing a mandrel. Normal bolt hardware is not intended for such use and may not turn true. If you are lucky, a few choice taps with a hammer can get one to turn true. I got lucky and so far have not needed to purchase a mandrel. I have a mandrel for bottle stoppers and so can see the difference.

These days I turn between centres. Spur drive in the headstock, and cone on the tailstock. I normally use a spur drive which fits in my scroll chuck, but I have just purchased a long spur drive from PSI which I will likely use for future handles.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LC...html?concept=3

My present process is to rough the blank, then mount in my scroll chuck so I can drill the hole in the tailstock end.

I use a Steady Rest to minimize vibration. I have a build thread on making a Steady Rest.
Making a lathe steady rest

Once the hole has been drilled, I then use a piece of threaded rod with a regular nut and coupler nut (the extra long nuts to join threaded rod). I screw on the insert on one end and lightly fasten the other end in a Jacobs chuck mounted in the tailstock. I use this method since I found it was easier to keep the insert close to being centred, more than the hand drivers.

Once the insert is in place, I unlock the two nuts then they and the threaded rod are easily removed.

I then finish turning the insert end, then flip this and mount on a 5/16in dia bolt in the scroll chuck to finish turn the rest of the handle with a cone in the tailstock. I end up with a small hole in the top of the handle. Sometimes I have sanded away after turning, sometimes I have left in place.

I hope this helps.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-29-2013, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Pain in the A$$

Quote:
Yes, the Woodcraft are on sale for $12.99 - which is $5 off. A good deal I feel. I did a build thread on making a pizza cutter, but since I did this thread I have modified my process. Making a pizza cutter handle If you have a 5/16in dia bolt which turns true, you can avoid purchasing a mandrel. Normal bolt hardware is not intended for such use and may not turn true. If you are lucky, a few choice taps with a hammer can get one to turn true. I got lucky and so far have not needed to purchase a mandrel. I have a mandrel for bottle stoppers and so can see the difference. These days I turn between centres. Spur drive in the headstock, and cone on the tailstock. I normally use a spur drive which fits in my scroll chuck, but I have just purchased a long spur drive from PSI which I will likely use for future handles. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LC...html?concept=3 My present process is to rough the blank, then mount in my scroll chuck so I can drill the hole in the tailstock end. I use a Steady Rest to minimize vibration. I have a build thread on making a Steady Rest. Making a lathe steady rest Once the hole has been drilled, I then use a piece of threaded rod with a regular nut and coupler nut (the extra long nuts to join threaded rod). I screw on the insert on one end and lightly fasten the other end in a Jacobs chuck mounted in the tailstock. I use this method since I found it was easier to keep the insert close to being centred, more than the hand drivers. Once the insert is in place, I unlock the two nuts then they and the threaded rod are easily removed. I then finish turning the insert end, then flip this and mount on a 5/16in dia bolt in the scroll chuck to finish turn the rest of the handle with a cone in the tailstock. I end up with a small hole in the top of the handle. Sometimes I have sanded away after turning, sometimes I have left in place. I hope this helps.
It does help some. My intention is to try to make a handle with a piece of scrap first. Then if I'm happy with the process, I'll use good wood.

Mark

post #9 of 11 Old 09-29-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
It does help some. My intention is to try to make a handle with a piece of scrap first. Then if I'm happy with the process, I'll use good wood.
Practice is always useful.

FYI I eventually settled on using 15/32in dia drill for the hole. Smaller hole dia is much harder to screw in the insert.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-29-2013, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Pain in the A$$

Quote:
Practice is always useful. FYI I eventually settled on using 15/32in dia drill for the hole. Smaller hole dia is much harder to screw in the insert.
Since I don't want to assume, for hardwood or softwood?

Mark

Mark

post #11 of 11 Old 09-29-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Since I don't want to assume, for hardwood or softwood?

Mark
I have only used hardwoods for my pizza cutter handles. You may be able to use smaller hole for softwood.

Some folks use 1/2in dia hole and glue the insert in place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode