Where to buy white melamine laminate sheet - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 9 Old 08-03-2007, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

View txgrizzly's Photo Album My Photos
Question Where to buy white melamine laminate sheet

All,
i am in a quandry, i went to my local Home Depot (sorry guys, i had to) to buy some Melamine covered MDF and the stuff looked like junk, the Melamine was very thin and the MDF looked more like plain fiber board. so what i did was buy some regular 3/4 MDF that actually looked like MDF in the thought of just buying some Laminate to put on it. the problem is the smallest piece i can find is 8x10 and they have to special order it and its going to cost me $60. anyone know of an online source or a chain store that in might have here in the Dallas area where i can get some of this stuff? thanks in advance...

Bill Brown
looking for that next peice of wood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-03-2007, 10:07 AM

View mdlbldrmatt135's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Yahoo to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Skype™ to mdlbldrmatt135
the Melamine @ the HD's in the NE are on Particle board not MDF hense the texture. I've made cabinets and Work benches out of it without a problem.

Melamine in general is thin......

Last edited by mdlbldrmatt135; 08-03-2007 at 10:10 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Most melamine sheets are made with an industrial particle board (denser than chip board). The melamine finish is a low pressure laminated process, much different than Formica type high pressure laminate.

The big box stores used to carry it in 5/8" and 3/4". I don't know what they carry now. If you go to a good lumber yard that sells sheet goods, they should have both thicknesses. The last time I bought any the sheets were 49" x 97".

You might try looking in your local Yellow pages under "plywoods" or call some local cabinet shops to see where they get it. They might even sell you some of the good stuff.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-03-2007, 12:19 PM

View mdlbldrmatt135's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Yahoo to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Skype™ to mdlbldrmatt135
Yeah the HD stuff is 49" x 97"
post #5 of 9 Old 08-03-2007, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

View txgrizzly's Photo Album My Photos
thanks Guys...guess i can stay with just the MDF with some poly on it for protection and then if that fails or starts wearing out i will go get some of the other stuff....

Bill Brown
looking for that next peice of wood
post #6 of 9 Old 08-03-2007, 03:25 PM

View jacksimpk's Photo Album My Photos
If you looking for Laminate I use wilson art laminate. You can look for a local distributor from their website http://www.wilsonart.com/. Its not the same as melamine sheets but its the source I use for laminate. As stated above usually melamine sheets are laid up on particle board not MDF. Big box stores usually do a horrible job of transporting and handling the material so it usually looks like crap. Try to find the supplier for the local cabinet shops in the area. I go to a local hardwood store and they stock melamine and hardwood plywood as well as solid stock. The wilsonart laminate is great for doing desktops or worktables. I built a huge sewing table for my wife and put wilsonart laminate on the top. The biggest problem I've had is most of the suppliers are 8-5 operations. I've got to take off work a bit early if I need something.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-04-2007, 03:33 AM
johnep

View johnep's Photo Album My Photos
wilsonart

What a candy store! nothing like this in the UK.
johnep
post #8 of 9 Old 08-06-2007, 09:30 PM

View jacksimpk's Photo Album My Photos
Haha - I'm sure they have distributors in UK - you just have to find them. They deal through commercial people. Once you start to unlock commercial suppliers you have a whole new world of materials to work from. Call some places that do laminate countertops and ask about suppliers. I'm sure you can find someone laminate is too popular in Europe to there not to be.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-07-2007, 02:27 AM
Cabinet Installer

View Dansbell's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnep View Post
What a candy store! nothing like this in the UK.
johnep
http://www.wilsonart.co.uk/

Daniel S. Bell
Belbuilt, LLC
Cabinet Installation Medford, OR
http://www.belbuilt.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode