Woodworking Talk banner

What wood, what finish, best removal technique (pics)

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  woody woodturner 
#1 ·
I have an old fireplace surround that I took from my Grandmother's home about 15 years ago before we renovated it. I am now wanting to refinish and install it in my home (which I just got done renovating)

I need to make or replace a few pieces, filla few blemished but I don't know the type of wood, and I can't seem to figure it out? ANy help. See links below..

I am using a KS-3 Premium Stripper. I removed the two side columns and stripped already, but I have no idea if it is stripped well enough to start repair and finish? Oh, I stripped two times, wiped with D.N. alcohol to get rid of wax/parafin/etc. and one of the columns I also wiped down with mineral spirits (read to do so in a book I read)

CAn anybody help a brotha out?

Thank you in advance

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/apex_predetor/P9210514.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/apex_predetor/P9210515.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/apex_predetor/P8010201.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u283/apex_predetor/P8010212.jpg

See less See more
#3 ·
USed alcohol first...

I used alcohol first and it did seem to "gum" it up, but didn't seem like it was removing it. Dried and was gummy and hard to remove.

Any secrets?

I just bought a contour scraper set, and some detail sanding equipment, but I'm not sure if I want to sand it? I have read that sanding is not good, and I ahve read that I should use fine snading before refinish?

Suggestions based upon the pictures and type of finish it seems to be?

Thanks again

#4 ·
Just Bill seems dead on.

How long did you wait after applying the alcohol before wiping? Usually you'll want to wait only 5-10 seconds after applying before wiping with a rage or steel wool (000 or 0000)/ scotch bright pad (very fine). Much longer and the alcohol will evaporate, the softened shellac will harded over the next few minutes

Did you try denatured or rubbing alcohol? If it was denatured then you'll want to first try laquer remover. If it was rubbing then switch to denatured, it evaporates faster but eats through shellac better

If alcohol doesn't work then switch to laquer thinner, if it is easy to wipe off then it's a laquer top coat. If it softens it again then you're dealing with mixed laquer and shellac, mix equal parts thinner and alcohol.

That looks like a great example of "poor man's mahogany" which was popular around the turn of the last century. They used Alder, Oak, Cherry or Ash with a toned topcoat. It had nothing to do with quality of the work; more with the availability of mahogany during the building boom on the east coast.

Great looking restore project by the way.

#5 ·
I think it might be more than one wood species, but I am not entirely sure. I am not familiar with the techniquesto make the round parts (lathe of some sort??). Looks like some tool marks on the columns, and the tops are carved so that could lead me to think it is different wood, but there are the same "pits" in the wood on every part. I was thinking Red Oak at first from preliminary research.

I used teh denatured alcohol, to clear off the stripper's wax after, as well as trying the alcohol by itself.

So, try a laquer thinner, then try the denatured alcohol again. will do.

Any other suggestions are appreciated. I am gathering some info and doing research for the next few days while I wait for better weather, and my contour scrapers to arrive.

Thanks all

#8 ·
I can def. tell some is oak, but I ahve never (in my limited experience) seen those "stripes" that are on teh columns and on some of the front pieces?

I'll post more pics when it is all stripped. Maybe better shot at identifying the wood, but I know it is a long shot at best with the pics over the net.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.