What do you use on your Diamond 'stones' ? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 12-15-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

View TwoRails's Photo Album My Photos
What do you use on your Diamond 'stones' ?

What do you use on your Diamond 'stones' to lubricate them? I've watched a lot of in-general YouTube sharpening videos and the choice varies all over the place: some folks don't use anything, some plain water, soapy water, whatever oil or cutting fluid they have at hand, and fancy and expensive special diamond stone lube.

I don't like the 'dry' method, but it does seem that as long as the 'stone' is wet with something, it works just fine.

What do you use? Any recommendations / dos / don'ts ??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-15-2016, 12:39 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
what ever's on hand

I use Brake Cleaner, WD 40, Kerosene, depending on what's handy. I will also use them dry. I have the 4 sided "stone" from Harbor Freight and for the money, about $10.00 or so I got 3 of them. I keep one in the kitchen, one in the wood shop and one for hunting knives. A few strokes and I have razor sharp edge.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #3 of 4 Old 12-15-2016, 04:12 PM
Village Idiot

View epicfail48's Photo Album My Photos
I use water. Works fine to carry off the swarf, and none of the mess of oil

I need cheaper hobby
etsy.com/shop/projectepicfail

post #4 of 4 Old 12-16-2016, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

View TwoRails's Photo Album My Photos
Sounds good, thanks for the posts. I have a new quandary, though. The Trend 'credit card' diamond stone I ordered came in late yesterday. The package states to have the five year warranty, I must use their special lapping fluid. But... the instructions also recommends it but also says your can use plan water, too. So I don't know if using just water voids the warranty or not.

This warranty thing is important as I'm getting the big Trend 8" two-sided 'stone' for Christmas and would hate to screw up the warranty on something so expensive just to save a few buck on lapping fluid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode