What do you guys think of panel saws? - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 23 Old 02-11-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

View californiafishing's Photo Album My Photos
What do you guys think of panel saws?

So i picked up this DeWalt frame panel saw with a black and decker saw attachment on trade for some electrical work but its freaking huge. . Would you guys keep it if you had it or Craigslist it?
I usually use my Shopsmith for pretty much all my wood working needs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-11-2012, 06:26 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiafishing View Post
So i picked up this DeWalt frame panel saw with a black and decker saw attachment on trade for some electrical work but its freaking huge. . Would you guys keep it if you had it or Craigslist it?
Awesome way to break down sheet goods. Personally, I'd hang onto it if I have the space.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #3 of 23 Old 02-11-2012, 06:32 PM

View GeorgeC's Photo Album My Photos
I would have no use nor any space for it.

However, my thoughts have no bearing on whether or not you have a use for it and a place to keep it. Only you can answer that.

George
post #4 of 23 Old 02-11-2012, 06:52 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
that's easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiafishing View Post
I don't have a Shop Smith, nor will I ever, but I've heard some nasty stories about the table saw operation. The larger the panel, the heavier it is, the more you need in and outfeed support and a large table on the saw. Not possible with a SS.

So, if you don't intend to use a lot of 4 x 8 panels, or other sheet goods, especially heavy particle board, your needs may be met with the SS.

I wanted a panel saw bad enough to build one from scratch, but it RIPS as well as CROSSCUTS without moving the panel.
Most panel saws under $1000 crosscut only with the panel stationary. You must slide the panel through for ripping. The $10K and up Holz-Her and others saws do both rips and cross cuts on a stationary panel.

So it gets down to project choices, the size of your workpiece, the strength of the operator and space requirements.. you need 20 ft of run to rip a 4 x 8 ft panel on a table saw.

If it were me I would definitely keep it until it's obvious you won't use it. I would recommend jumping right in a using it a lot to determine whether you do want to keep it. bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
The Following User Says Thank You to woodnthings For This Useful Post:
Chaincarver Steve (05-17-2013)
post #5 of 23 Old 02-11-2012, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses guys
Yeah thats the problem. I don't have a ton of space in a two car garage. i put it together and it takes up a ton of room where i live. When i need a 4x8 cut I usually just get it cut where I buy the plywood. Pretty much everyone has been great and never charged me for any cuts made. When its broken down it takes up very little space. It would be great to keep it but I really don't have a huge use for it. I thought I would use it all the time when i did the trade. Well at least it only took me two hours of work and 50$ in parts to do the trade so i am not out a ton of money. As for the saw on the Shopsmith I have never had a problem with it. I just don't try to cut 4x8 sheets or huge pieces of lumber with it. For my wood working needs its more than adequate. I doubt I will ever become a master wood worker.
So far the saw is gathering dust cause i am slowly working my way through my projects

Last edited by californiafishing; 02-11-2012 at 10:45 PM.
post #6 of 23 Old 02-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Woodaholic

View stevespens's Photo Album My Photos
I'd love to have a panel saw but just wouldn't have room for one. Here recently I've been working with sheet goods and built an extension to my table saw fence.

Woodworking is addictive, but in a good way.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-12-2012, 10:29 AM

View Bvh56's Photo Album My Photos
I picked up a safety speed cut H4 panel saw for 375.00 from Craigslist. It's big but worth it to me to have ,even if I just use it once in a while. I would hang on to it.
post #8 of 23 Old 02-12-2012, 10:41 AM
I use a what???

View b4d93r's Photo Album My Photos
I would love to have a panel saw. The majority of my projects use sheet goods and a panel saw would just rock, I just don't have the cash for one right now.

I've tried to cut sheet goods on my little Ryobi table saw (I say little because it's not like the regular size shop saws.) but I quickly realized I either don't have enough skill yet or it's just a really bad idea. So I revert to laying it down on some 4x4s and using my circular saw.

As for room, I have a one and a half car garage that I'm in the process of converting into a shop and have kept the possibility of a panel saw in mind. One design I've been working on is a collapsible panel saw. For example, it stays built all the time but when not in use it folds flat against the wall via hinges. Kinda like those beds that fold up into the wall. This way it's there when I need it but it's also not sticking out taking up space.

I would have to say that I envy you and would gladly take it off you hands but I don't think the drive would make up for it.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-12-2012, 10:47 AM

View tackbb's Photo Album My Photos
A panel saw would really come in handy - but I wouldn't use it enough to justify the space it would take up.

-Trevor
post #10 of 23 Old 02-12-2012, 11:23 AM

View mn pete's Photo Album My Photos
Same here...cool to have, but not enough real estate.

Pete
Follow my woodworking adventures...
http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/
post #11 of 23 Old 02-12-2012, 05:23 PM

View firehawkmph's Photo Album My Photos
Panels saws do take up too much space imo. I use a festool track saw instead. Super simple to use and yields excellent cuts. Plus you can cut any kind of goofy angle you want.
Mike Hawkins
post #12 of 23 Old 02-12-2012, 07:26 PM

View Cliff's Photo Album My Photos
Streibig is a panel saw.

Those things like they have in the BORG to break down sheet stock are just circular saws on a frame. They are handy gizmos for breaking down sheet goods, but entirely inaccurate requiring that you always leave plenty of extra for squaring and truing.

So if you use lots of sheet goods and have the room for a tool that just breaks it down AND have a more accurate way to take the work from that and cut it with some precision then why not?? It'll save you from lifting and carrying large sheets around.

But if you hope to get accuracy form it - - Fuhgetaboutit
post #13 of 23 Old 02-18-2012, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

Damn I put that thing on Craiglist and it sold in one day. Actually sort of glad its gone. I would never use it
post #14 of 23 Old 02-18-2012, 07:15 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
If you cut a lot of sheet goods I would keep it. If not it will just get in the way.
post #15 of 23 Old 05-16-2013, 09:41 PM

View Anywhy30's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevespens View Post
I'd love to have a panel saw but just wouldn't have room for one. Here recently I've been working with sheet goods and built an extension to my table saw fence.
That was one of the first things I build in my shop in the beginning stages, built it out of recycled barn material doesn't look like much but I's so handy to have around.put a pic in my photos here... It's The one with the pallet upright lol-I bricked the bottom in so it has a solid base & use circular saw or whatever.
post #16 of 23 Old 05-16-2013, 10:50 PM
Wood Snob

View Al B Thayer's Photo Album My Photos
I don't care how much I use my panel saw. I'm not giving it up. Just cut one set of kitchen cabinets with it and it will be a friend for life.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

post #17 of 23 Old 05-16-2013, 11:05 PM

View Anywhy30's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B Thayer View Post
I don't care how much I use my panel saw. I'm not giving it up. Just cut one set of kitchen cabinets with it and it will be a friend for life.

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.
I agree with you there.
post #18 of 23 Old 05-17-2013, 08:56 AM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I don't care for a panel saw. I would rather cut sheet stock on a table saw. On the other hand if I still had employees and cut a lot of sheet stock I think I would have one for safety.
post #19 of 23 Old 05-17-2013, 10:27 AM

View Hammer1's Photo Album My Photos
Small shops and hobbyists may not have much use or space for a panel saw. Folks in the business can cut up 20-30 sheets of plywood regularly. With a panel saw, you don't have to lift the full sheet up, it's pretty easy to slide a full sheet on to the panel saw by lifting one end and sliding on to the carriage base. With a good blade and proper tuning, the panel saw can be dead on but some only use it to crosscut a sheet to a smaller size, then use a table saw for the rest of the cuts. The saw can be replaced with a router. Large shops use panel routers and equip the panel saw with pneumatic dogs, and stops. Awesome for dado work, either through or stopped dadoes, ploughs and rabbets, stops mean no measuring and repeatability which is very handy when you have 50-100 dadoes. You would soon be out of business if you had to clamp a straight edge to your work for each dado.

Non pros often think in terms of residential work. Many of us in the business seldom do residential work, it's mostly commercial, banks, schools, hospitals, resorts, museums, stores, etc. A bank can have 8-10 tellers counters or more, a reception desk, offices with shelving, desks, various cabinetry, the scope on a small bank can be the size of 3-4 kitchens, for example. That means a lot of material processing. Jobs are designed and specified by architects, often to AWI standards. You aren't typically making one cabinet and you do it day after day, year after year. When you process in volume, you need the equipment that can keep up with production, panels saws are an inexpensive option.
post #20 of 23 Old 05-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Master firewood maker

View Chris Curl's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I wanted a panel saw bad enough to build one from scratch, but it RIPS as well as CROSSCUTS without moving the panel.
more info please!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode