using aftermarket knife setting jigs for Delta RC-33 or Invicta/Delta 22-650 - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 17 Old 08-09-2009, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Shojimon

View Terrance L. Maloney's Photo Album My Photos
using aftermarket knife setting jigs for Delta RC-33 or Invicta/Delta 22-650

I have a Invicta/Delta model 22-650.
This is a Brazilian made 13" planer made in 1987.
It looks pretty much like the Delta RC-33 13" planer.
Why I'm writing today??? I cannot find a OEM knife setting jig for my planer. I tried the mag types out there and they are either too big and won't fit into the space provided on the planer or are too small ( for a portable planer).
I am completely vexed. Delta (Dewalt) since being sold a few times no longer has any parts for my planer. They don't even have a manual.
They are completely worthless at this point and don't even have an explanation as to why they don't carry anything for these 22 yr old planers. (I have contacted their main branch.)
Can someone help me out? Anyone know what jig will work or have an old OEM type they will sell me?
I bought my great condition planer used, thinking that getting an aftermarket jig would be fine. Now I can't use it at all.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Shojimon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-29-2009, 09:02 PM

View jvan56gadget's Photo Album My Photos
Lightbulb Setting knives on a delta rc-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance L. Maloney View Post
I have a Invicta/Delta model 22-650.
This is a Brazilian made 13" planer made in 1987.
It looks pretty much like the Delta RC-33 13" planer.
Why I'm writing today??? I cannot find a OEM knife setting jig for my planer. I tried the mag types out there and they are either too big and won't fit into the space provided on the planer or are too small ( for a portable planer).
I am completely vexed. Delta (Dewalt) since being sold a few times no longer has any parts for my planer. They don't even have a manual.
They are completely worthless at this point and don't even have an explanation as to why they don't carry anything for these 22 yr old planers. (I have contacted their main branch.)
Can someone help me out? Anyone know what jig will work or have an old OEM type they will sell me?
I bought my great condition planer used, thinking that getting an aftermarket jig would be fine. Now I can't use it at all.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Shojimon
I own a Delta rc-33 planer which I bought second hand about 10 years ago also without the knife setting jig. I too bought an aftermarket magnetic jig which will not fit in the space on top of the cutter. Its a bit of a pain but the jig will fit from underneath if you raise the cutting height to the maximum. To adjust the blade, loosen it from the top- carefully rotate the blade roller while holding the blade so that it and the springs do not fall out. Place the magnetic jigs in position and tighten a couple of the bolts to lock the cutter in position. Remove the jigs and rotate the cutter back to the top and finish tightening the hardware. I used a grindwheel to narrow the end of an open end wrench to fit the bolts. This may sound like a bit of a pain, but its a lot better than having a 450lb. planer that you can't use. I should have started with this but PLEASE always unplug the planer before doing any work on it. By the way, you can find an owners manual on ebay, and mikestools.com has the belt set . The blades are available from several suppliers, and in a pinch I have also used blades from a 13" portable planer. Good luck with your planer. JV
post #3 of 17 Old 09-29-2009, 10:02 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Will this work?

I just ordered a set, don't have them yet so I can't give you any advice on them: http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/...fe_setter.html
bill

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #4 of 17 Old 10-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Hickabilly

View mickit's Photo Album My Photos
Manual

I've got a pdf of the manual, you can download from dewaltservicenet dot com, or I can email to you.
Mickey
post #5 of 17 Old 10-07-2009, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Shojimon

Thanks to all who have tried to help[

Good morning.
Mickit ask if the mag jigs he bought will work. Those are the same ones I bought.
I haven't tried them on the bottom side of the planer head for a couple reasons...
I sold them to a guy on Craigs list when they wouldn't fit in the slot given for access to the head.
And, now the planer is in the shop here in Portland being set up by Barbo Machinery.
Since the knifes are new and I bought a Byrd/Shelix 15" Powermatic planer from Barbo last week. I think I will be set for a while between the 2 planers.
Barbo is looking into finding a set of jigs that will fit the old Delta--on the top side that is!
BTW- I bought a 15" spiral head planer from Grizzly about 6 weeks ago. It cost around $1500 and the salesman said it came ready to plane.
I bought it as a result of the fine things that were said about it here and on other woodworking forums. I bought the copy of the Powermatic 15 spiral head. Looks almost like it. The spiral head has the 4 sided cutterheads much like the Byrd/Helix.
The first planer came after almost 2 weeks, lost by UPS and damaged by UPS. Had a bit of a time getting them to remove it. It weighs 700lbs or so.
2nd one arrived fairly quickly after I pleaded with Grizzly to send me a replacement. I was desperate and needed it badly for my woodworking business. I build Japanese Shoji screens.
I spent about 16 or 18 hrs putting it together and cleaning all the grease off it. What a huge mess! AND, It wouldn't plane right.
I adjusted what I could and called the techs at Grizzly. I was unconvinced they knew any more than what the manual said...
By the 4th call I was getting pretty frustrated.
Here is the deal...if the machine comes to you not set up properly, like mine...you are responsible to set all the correct heights of the cutterhead, in and outfeed rollers, chip breakers and the lower rollers.
I tried over and over again using a dial indicator setup that I had bought from grizzly previously. They suggest you buy a special one from them for $100!
I got a different reading each time I tried.
When I checked my settings with a piece of Ash run through, it would leave big marks on the wood, either from the in or outfeed. I would back off the spring tension to the max and it would still leave big marks. Or it caught on the chip-breaker because it was set too low. Or the chips were pressed into the wood etc etc.
Nothing to be done short of driving the planer to Bellingham Washington and demand they set it up.
Instead, I ask they take it back and I bought the Powermatic for $2500.
Now I am building a big crate to ship it back today.
I think a buyer needs to get a written thing from Grizzly saying; it will be right when you get it or they will make it right.
They should also disclose how much work it is to clean, assemble and adjust.
Otherwise it just isn't worth the hassle. I think the machine would be great if adjusted properly before they ship it.
I apologize for any typos.

Last edited by Terrance L. Maloney; 10-08-2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typo
post #6 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Hickabilly

Sorry Terrance, I never used the jigs myself, though I have worked on a couple of the old Invicta/Rockwell/Deltas.As I said in prior post, I have old service manuals, and some wiring diagrams for stuff going back into the sixties, and would be happy to share.
Mickey
post #7 of 17 Old 10-08-2009, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Shojimon

Excellent solution

Oops, sorry Micky. Got you mixed up with Bill. Thanks for the offer of the manual. I downloaded it. Thanks all for trying to help.
JV- I'll try the upside down version of attaching the magnetic jigs when my knifes are dull. Great idea. Excellent thinking outside of the box!

Happy woodworking!
post #8 of 17 Old 10-13-2009, 02:59 PM

View kmcjones's Photo Album My Photos
to shojiman, am in same boat with 22-650 need manual to adjust feed rollers, wondering if you had any luck locating said manual ? If so ,would appreciate reply with procurement info. kmcjones72@yahoo.com
post #9 of 17 Old 10-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Hickabilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcjones View Post
to shojiman, am in same boat with 22-650 need manual to adjust feed rollers, wondering if you had any luck locating said manual ? If so ,would appreciate reply with procurement info. kmcjones72@yahoo.com
Manual is available at dewaltservicenet.com
search 22-650
download PDF
mickit
post #10 of 17 Old 02-16-2012, 11:43 PM

View David Peebles's Photo Album My Photos
Using magnetic knife setting jig on Delta 22-650

I realize I'm almost 3 years late coming to this discussion, but I just ran across it while surfing for info on my very old (Dec 1981) Rockwell/Invicta planer, which, by the way, is the best planer I have ever owned. In answer to the query about using a magnetic knife setting jig, yes it is possible. First remove the chip deflector (masonite plate just downstream from the cutterhead). This gains you only about 1/4 inch, but helps. Then, Loosen the set screw that holds the chipbreaker adjusting rod. Back it out quite a ways, as it goes into a dimple in the rod. Loosen the rod (may need pliers), until you can slide it out on the right side of the planer. Then loosen and remove the hex screws that hold down the chip breaker springs. Now you can prop up the chip breaker high enough that the magnets on the knife setting jig can slide under it. It's not that hard to do, and only takes a few minutes. When you put back the adjusting rod, be sure the dimple lines up so the set screw can hold it in securely. BTW, I am currently trying to line up a Byrd Shellix cutterhead for the planer. Byrd has them for at least some of these planers, but I'm not sure yet about one that is over 30 years old.
post #11 of 17 Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 PM

View jcmmgm's Photo Album My Photos
Changing knives on Delta 22-650

Hello. I just signed up for this forum as it seems like the ideal place to get the knowledgable folks who can tell me how to do this. I bought the planer new sometime in the 80's and have never changed the knives. I have ordered a new set and should have them any day. I do have the owners manual and the jig that came with the planer. What I don't have is the slightest idea or the confidence to get started. Does anyone know where I can find step by step instructions on doing this without messing up my my new knives or my planer. There was a company here in San Antonio that was going to do it for me, but I waited too long and now they are out of business. I am fairly mechanically inclined, but I don't know about this project. Any help y'all can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. John.
post #12 of 17 Old 01-19-2013, 08:08 PM

Does anyone know where to get step by step instructions on how to replace the blades on this planer. I cannot find anything like that on the internet. Thank you.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 AM
Making sawdust in MS

View rayking49's Photo Album My Photos
You don't say which planer you have. That way someone might have the same one and could help you out. Good luck with it.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-20-2013, 05:51 AM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
Changing knives on Delta 22-650

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayking49 View Post
You don't say which planer you have. That way someone might have the same one and could help you out. Good luck with it.
See post 11 Ray.... Changing knives on Delta 22-650

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
post #15 of 17 Old 01-20-2013, 07:41 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Here is a PDF manual for the 22-650. Changing knives starts on page 14.

post #16 of 17 Old 01-21-2013, 02:52 PM

Thanks to all you folks for your kind replies. I have a Delta Invicta 22-650 planer which I bought new sometime back in th 1980's. I assume the RC-33 is the same planer. Is that correct? After reading the instructions in the RC-33 manual, my biggest concern is loosing one or more of the springs. Is that a legitimate concern? Never having done this before and knowing the lack of ability in getting replacement parts, to be honest, I'm kind of paranoid. Can anyone tell me that this is no problem and an easy fix. Thank you guys so much, and I look forward to being a part of your forum.
post #17 of 17 Old 01-21-2013, 08:45 PM

Another question regarding Delta Invicta 22-650

Hello again. Thank you guys for all your help with changing my knives. Years back, I bought an attachment made by Delta for the 22-650 planer to hook it up to a dust collection system. Should I remove the Masonite chip deflector just outboard of the cutterhead to achieve better clearing of the shavings? It's not something that ever occured to me until I got into this knife changing project. Once again, many thanks for all your help out there. John.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode