Ungluing a joint - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 12 Old 07-12-2007, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

View Abie63's Photo Album My Photos
Ungluing a joint

I have a beech Ercol dining chair on which one of the legs has broken. My problem is, how do I unglue the stretcher bars from their various attachments without damaging the joints, to enable a replacement leg to be fitted?

Let me say, that I am not a woodworker either professional or otherwise and would appreciate advice in the simplest terms.

It is probably useful to know that the chair's wood is natural finish which has been varnished.

Last edited by Abie63; 07-12-2007 at 04:18 PM. Reason: additional information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Senior Member from MN

View Daveb's Photo Album My Photos
I am not a professional either. But I think some furniture is purposely glued with Hyde glue that releases when wet (or heat?).

I do not know how to get the joint wet without damaging the wood or how to test this theory. Any ideas out there?
post #3 of 12 Old 07-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Love makin sawdust

View MinConst's Photo Album My Photos
When I was in the furniture business a rubber mallet was the tool of choice. I have never heard of wetting a joint to loosen glue of any kind. Hyde glue is reheat-able I don't think it is water soluble. I may be wrong. Been many years since I had a glue pot. If the joint is so solid that it wont budge leave it alone. Generally a couple good blows with a mallet will open it up. BUT think about where you're hitting so as not to do more damage. And by good blow I don't mean a powerful strike just a solid hit. Also you can put pressure on the opposite side of a joint that your going to strike. This tends to help make the pressure even. Stay as close to the joint as possible. Once the glue joint is loose then tap the pieces apart. Evenly from both sides of the joint. This will help to NOT oversize the hole.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-12-2007, 07:51 PM

View wood tick's Photo Album My Photos
try vinegar
post #5 of 12 Old 07-13-2007, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I'll take the route that MinConst suggests, after all he was once in the trade. The chair in question is some 40 odd years old, so the glue used is not likely to be high tech stuff and will probably will succumb to the rubber mallet.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Love makin sawdust

View MinConst's Photo Album My Photos
Let us know how it works out.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-14-2007, 04:23 AM Thread Starter

Will do MinConst!
post #8 of 12 Old 04-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Pianoman

View pianoman's Photo Album My Photos
(powder form) citric acid mixed 1 to 1 with water will desolve Titebond. I replaced a bridge on a 1909 Gibson Mandolyn . The bridge was made of Ebony that had a slot which held 4 individual staggered string supports. The bridge was easy to make. The supports were another story. Luckally I have a friend who is a Violyn Bow maker!! Long story short... He told me... they were inserts that were glued in place. We soaked the old bridge in citric acid and water... then let it soak over night. The next morning they fell out with one little tap. I cleaned them off with water...dried them in the microwave for a minute and then glued them into the new bridge. The Ebony was $5.00 The repair was $150.00

Never... I mean always... never mind Rick
post #9 of 12 Old 01-21-2011, 03:17 PM

View chiki's Photo Album My Photos
Hi,
Can anybody help me.
I have a teak door...i want to unglue the door pieces as i want to replace the middle part of the door.Can anybody quide mw whether the vinegar method or the acetone method or heating method 'll work.As i have tried soaking it in the water for 2 days & it dnt work.

The door was made just a month back.

Thanks a lot in advance.........

Regards
post #10 of 12 Old 01-21-2011, 04:36 PM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
A heat gun will release most glues. Care has to be taken in separating a joint so there won't be damage to the mating parts. In addition, cleaning or sanding the mating parts could change the fit. If gaps become evident reglue with a two part epoxy.

post #11 of 12 Old 01-21-2011, 06:33 PM

View Brink's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman
A heat gun will release most glues. Care has to be taken in separating a joint so there won't be damage to the mating parts. In addition, cleaning or sanding the mating parts could change the fit. If gaps become evident reglue with a two part epoxy.

Sometimes wrapping the joint with a towel soaked with hot water before the heat gun helps. But it could raise the grain or damage a finish.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-22-2011, 03:32 PM

Location: Full time cruising on my boat. Currently on the Tenn. River in NW Alabama in Jo
View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abie63 View Post
I have a dining chair on which one leg has broken....how do I unglue the stretcher bars from their various attachments without damaging the joints, to enable a replacement leg to be fitted?....
I use a hypodermic needle with hot vinegar. try to get the vinegar in every crack possible. With luck, the joint will loosen some and you will be able to 'tap' the pieces apart with a mallet. This works sometimes but not all of the time.
Can you attach a photo? There might be an alternate way to make the repair. I am very familiar with the problem of broken stretchers and the rest of the chair is solid and wont come apart.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, and now full time cruising the waterways on my boat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode