types of plywood and mdf - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 6 Old 10-05-2008, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

View Bruce B's Photo Album My Photos
types of plywood and mdf

Hi All.
I have been looking on line to find a chart that list all types of plywood and mdf there grades and there use. So far I have come up empty if you have seen this info on line please let me know.

Thanks Bruce.

This is only my opinion others may think differently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-05-2008, 04:47 PM

Location: Full time cruising on my boat. Currently on the Tenn. River in NW Alabama in Jo
View Tony B's Photo Album My Photos
The short version

There are many grades so I will give you the short version. Someone else can give you the long version.

MDF it's an abbreviation for Medium Density Fiberboard. I only know of one grade, the medium density grade.

Plywood is different. I assume you are talking about building furniture and cabinetry projects and not construction grades.
Ok:
Cabinet grade comes in plain sliced (actually sliced and bookmatched) and rotary cut (peeled like a roll of toilet paper)
Most people use the plain sliced for its looks. Less often is the rotary cut. These are used in furniture and cabinets.

Paint Grade: this is made for painting and is not attractive at all.

Then there is Baltic Birch which comes in 5" x 5' pieces, or the American version - Apply Ply, which comes in 4' x 8 ' sections.
Both of these have many plys with no voids. It is used extensively in drawer sides or where exceptional strength is required. For drawer sides, it dados very well. Also is great for making jigs and templates.

Well, that's about it for me.

One more thing, I forgot to add BORGwood. The standards for grading plywood are really subjective and the BORG"s really take advantage of that fact. If at all possible, do not buy from the big box stores. HD is less than 3 miles from me and yet I drive 50 miles each way through downtown Houston traffic to go to a reputable Hardwood lumber yard.

Tony B

Retired woodworker, amongst other things, and now full time cruising the waterways on my boat.

Last edited by Tony B; 10-05-2008 at 06:53 PM. Reason: I forgot to add BORGwood
post #3 of 6 Old 10-05-2008, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

View Bruce B's Photo Album My Photos
Tony.
Thanks for taking the time to reply I ask because I came across some abbreviation I could not find. Some of them like CCX -MSF-FSC CERTIFIED sorry I did not make myself more clear in my post I guess what I am looking for is the definitions of the abbreviations. Thank you again for you fast reply.

Bruce.

This is only my opinion others may think differently.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-06-2008, 04:49 AM
Senior Member KE4TQP

View John in Tennessee's Photo Album My Photos
Here I go under the bus again but whats the difference in...

melamine and MDF?
post #5 of 6 Old 10-06-2008, 07:10 AM

View mdlbldrmatt135's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Yahoo to mdlbldrmatt135 Send a message via Skype™ to mdlbldrmatt135
Melamine is a thermoplastic covering (usually) on Particleboard but sometimes MDF
post #6 of 6 Old 10-06-2008, 08:33 AM
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Hi All.
I have been looking on line to find a chart that list all types of plywood and mdf there grades and there use. So far I have come up empty if you have seen this info on line please let me know.

Thanks Bruce.

There can be confusion on grading and labeling. Basically there is Interior plywood, used for decorative use, and Exterior plywood, used for construction applications.

A very brief grading explanation is that for interior use, hardwood faced veneered plywood is graded with an alpha character for the face quality (usually only A & B), and a numeric grade for the back face quality (1-4).

For exterior/construction grading, both the face and back have alpha characters (usually B & C).

For a sheet goods explanation this one ain't bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode