Woodworking Talk banner

Top for a desk

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Terry Q 
#1 ·
I recently posted here some plans for my desk build, all is going well and the leg mortise and tenons are all cut and fit. I do however have a question on the top, in my other post i received a recommendation to use a 3/4 oak plywood top with either edge banding or solid oak border, i would like some more opinions on this as i have never done it before? which is the better way and why? Solid jointed wooden top or plywood with solid oak frame. Also what jointing method is recommended for the plywood top to the solid wood frame?

pictures of finished products would help me also

#3 ·
It all comes down to personal preference and what you have tools to do. A plywood top with edge banding is quick, cheap, and only needs an iron to apply. Putting a hardwood edge on plywood is more involved, but it gives the illusion of a full hardwood top and you can router it and do all sorts of cool things.

To apply hardwood around plywood, you could get away with just glue but I recommend you use dowels, biscuits, or tongue and groove.

Be careful when sanding hardwood that's up against plywood. It's very easy to burn through the plywood veneer.

#6 ·
It seems you would prefer to put a solid hardwood edge on your desk rather than using veneer tape. Good choice. Unless you have matching router bits to make a tongue and groove joint I would not do it. There are several ways to apply a hardwood edge that is easier, faster and strong.
Before recommending the best way to do it, it will best if you know how wide you want your front hardwood edge.
Your front edge can be 3/4" or up to 4" wide. If only 3/4", I would use a butt joint with glue only. If the edge is over 1" wide I would use a spline or a biscuit.

#8 ·
I would have to agree to use the solid wood to band it with. You might joint the solid wood with a spline or use biscuits. Just be sure when you assemble the solid wood to the edge the solid wood is partially sanded and make sure the top side is perfectly flush. The plywood made today the veneer is so thin it really leaves nothing to sand so after the edge is applied only minor sanding is done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.