• 1 Post By J L
  • 1 Post By shoot summ
  • 1 Post By RichmanNot
  • 1 Post By USMCGRUNT

post #1 of 12 Old 01-07-2017, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

View USMCGRUNT's Photo Album My Photos
Is there a way to fix this?

Hello all,

This is my first end grain checkerboard pattern cutting board.

All material (Walnut, Maple, Mahogany) was jointed, planed, and ripped to 1. After first glue-up I planed the entire board to 1 1/2 thick. And the crosscuts were also 1 1/2.

I did it how I always do the rest, but I do not know where I went wrong. I think it may have been hitting the edges two times on each side before planing and then cross cut (after it had its first glue-up).

As soon as I flipped the boards to expose the end-grain I immediately knew I messed something up. Please see the photos attached.

One thing I did notice was the 1st piece is 1/16 shorter in length than the last (No clue how) and the first 4 pieces have a difference of about 1/16 thickness on each side of same piece (again, no clue how).

Is there any way possible to fix this so the checker board pattern actually aligns properly?

I would hate to waste this. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-07-2017, 06:16 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
To me it looks like you have an issue with the planer surfacing the wood different thicknesses. Perhaps it's sniping a little on the ends. Anyway if you haven't already done your final gluing, you might try re-arranging the segments and see if it fits better. I don't think most people would even notice the discrepancy.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-07-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Steve,

Thanks for the response. I have not done the final glue hoping to fix it.

As this was driving me nuts, that is one of the thoughts I came up with. There had to be a little snipe when running through the planer. However, it appears out of square to me as well. Maybe the snipe could have caused it being out of square once I flipped the end grain up?

Either way, the pic actually looks better than it is. If I glue it, it will actually be out of square on that left side leaving a really weird edge. Not to mention the corners of some of the checkers not touching.

What do you think about running all the pieces through a drum sander both for the width and the depth?

My last resort which I really don't want is for it to be a face grain board.

post #4 of 12 Old 01-07-2017, 07:32 PM

View seanhagerty's Photo Album My Photos
We are our own worst critic.

Glue and sand it and finish it. Its beautiful work.
USMCGRUNT likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-07-2017, 09:00 PM

View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCGRUNT View Post
Steve,

Thanks for the response. I have not done the final glue hoping to fix it.

As this was driving me nuts, that is one of the thoughts I came up with. There had to be a little snipe when running through the planer. However, it appears out of square to me as well. Maybe the snipe could have caused it being out of square once I flipped the end grain up?

Either way, the pic actually looks better than it is. If I glue it, it will actually be out of square on that left side leaving a really weird edge. Not to mention the corners of some of the checkers not touching.

What do you think about running all the pieces through a drum sander both for the width and the depth?

My last resort which I really don't want is for it to be a face grain board.

If you can't re-arrange the pieces to make it fit better you might consider remaking the worst ones. Another option might be since some of them are oversized you might cut it apart with a bandsaw and just glue it back together. I think the width of the bandsaw blade might be enough to even it out. Can't really tell without being there.

I don't think I would run the parts through a drum sander. You have nice joints now and the sander is likely to round the wood a little.
USMCGRUNT likes this.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-07-2017, 09:32 PM
J L

View J L's Photo Album My Photos
The root cause of the problem is either your jointer or your table saw is not cutting square. With the edge grain glued up, all looks well. But when you cross cut and roll it to be end grain, I start to see trapezoids which means alignment is a mess. Start by putting a square on different assemblies and see what is off. Something is out of square, you just need to find what. Once that is found and the root cause addressed, no more issues in the future.

For how to salvage this board. You can glue it up like it is and try to let the misalignment not bother you. Or you can roll it back up to edge grain and have a checkerboard edge grain cutting board that lines up. Your call.
USMCGRUNT likes this.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-07-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again all. I definitely did square the table saw before I cut it using a cross cut sled.

Maybe my initial rips were a little off.....Who knows, but it's bothering me for sure. Haha.

post #8 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 09:22 AM

View shoot summ's Photo Album My Photos
I've had some minor misalignment on some boards I've done. It is frustrating...

My solution was to proceed with the glue up, aligning the strips visually, there will be some slight misalignment, try rearranging strips to help, don't worry about edge alignment as you will trim all edges equally to fix that.

Once the board is done, you will barely notice the issue, and only you will notice it, everyone else will remark how gorgeous the piece is!!

You do obviously have an issue somewhere that is causing this, only way to figure it out is to get out a pair of calipers and check each operation.
USMCGRUNT likes this.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 10:46 AM

View RJH30518's Photo Album My Photos
From the pictures, I get that the middle pieces do not line up when the pieces on the edge are aligned.

So, can you move the end in so that the inside pieces are aligned closer, and then just trim the nd so that it is straight? The edge cut should be slight, and barely noticeable.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

I just tried realigning this morning and flipping boards around. I can now get the squares to touch, but they aren't straight.

post #11 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 01:35 PM

View RichmanNot's Photo Album My Photos
????

"makes me dizzy looking at this ---- is that the idea?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCGRUNT View Post
I just tried realigning this morning and flipping boards around. I can now get the squares to touch, but they aren't straight.

USMCGRUNT likes this.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-08-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmanNot View Post
"makes me dizzy looking at this ---- is that the idea?"

Hahaha!! Me too!

I can just tell everyone I did it like that on purpose; "it's a very difficult, special wood trick."

ChuckBarnett likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode