T-111 Siding Repair - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 14 Old 07-07-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
T-111 Siding Repair

I built this shed after Wilma (2005), a 10'x12', and sided it with 5/8" T-111 (4" O/C). I painted the outside, and the bottom edge, but there is some rot along the bottom edge (about 6"-8").

For a fix I was thinking to set up a straightedge up from the bottom and just run a circular saw with the blade just deep enough to cut the siding. Then my choices are to what to put back on. Here's my choices so far. I think the issue of applying a thinner siding under the 5/8", in order to get some kind of run-off for water.

Use 3/8" T-111, and paint the heck out of it.

Some kind of vinyl siding, that might have some lip on one edge that would slip under the existing T-111.

Use hardiplank siding.

Use cement board.

Any ideas for the repair, or choice of materials?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-07-2011, 06:55 PM

View Roger Newby's Photo Album My Photos
Cement board won't be affected by any moisture. Getting the plants/ground cover away from the building will also help.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-07-2011, 07:06 PM
John

View jschaben's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetman View Post
I built this shed after Wilma (2005), a 10'x12', and sided it with 5/8" T-111 (4" O/C). I painted the outside, and the bottom edge, but there is some rot along the bottom edge (about 6"-8").

For a fix I was thinking to set up a straightedge up from the bottom and just run a circular saw with the blade just deep enough to cut the siding. Then my choices are to what to put back on. Here's my choices so far. I think the issue of applying a thinner siding under the 5/8", in order to get some kind of run-off for water.

Use 3/8" T-111, and paint the heck out of it.

Some kind of vinyl siding, that might have some lip on one edge that would slip under the existing T-111.

Use hardiplank siding.

Use cement board.

Any ideas for the repair, or choice of materials?

Hi C-man - just kicking out some ideas, not to be confused with good ideas.
Trex comes to mind. A litte thicker but a rabbet could be routed to slip under the existing T1-11. I'm aware it's not the greatest stuff on the planet. No structural strength and, unless there are special screws out there, nails and screws need to be pilot drilled. It is virtually impervious to rot though.

John

If I strive for perfection, I can generally achieve good'nuff, If I strive for good'nuff, I generally achieve firewood
post #4 of 14 Old 07-07-2011, 08:09 PM
SS user

View Gene Howe's Photo Album My Photos
Funny that we just "repaired" a similar problem. The shop was totally sided with T1-11. Irrigation (fake rain) ruined some and the gable ends were flaking from the AZ sun. (ends face N east and S west). I replaced the rotted portion of one side, repainted it then applied vinyl siding, to match the house, over all of it. The vinyl on the house is 14 years old and has withstood our sun, 50 mph winds and the fake rain very well.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Really underground garage

View BWSmith's Photo Album My Photos
One method/trick we've done is to make a horiz cut,losing rotted siding......then install a thick'ish,bevel'd drip cap(looks like water table brick,can be milled from PTP 2x4)to cover PTP 2x's that are run horiz.

The trick is to get the amt of PTP showing below,to get the "scale" right.Too low(2x6)and you don't really get a nice look.Too high(multiple 2x10's/12's)and it looks goofy as well.But get it right and its impressive.You can run an exposed,face side rabbit at dr trim.Do a Z flash under siding,lipped as far as you want on drip ledge......we usually don't cvr whole ledge.BW

Those who say it cannot be done shouldn't interrupt the people doing it.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-07-2011, 08:37 PM
gus
journeyman carpenter

View gus's Photo Album My Photos
how about cutting up enough for a horizontal 1 x. then you can slip a drip edge under the existing t-111. i would suggest using a vinyl 1x for the bottom. never have to paint, and will not rot.

something like this:fix.pdf
post #7 of 14 Old 07-07-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Old School

View cabinetman's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought about a Z flashing of sorts. If it is flat under the existing (top piece), water can seep under it and wick up the existing panel. That's why I was thinking of a thinner panel for the repair, to allow some overhang above.

As for what to use for the panel, doesn't hardiplank, or panel need to be painted to be water resistant? I will paint anyway, but I'm just concerned about waterproofing. How about a vinyl siding with a built in lip on one edge, that would act like a Z flashing. I'm also thinking cement board would be a good choice.

post #8 of 14 Old 07-07-2011, 10:04 PM
woodbutcherer

View jstange2's Photo Album My Photos
I've seen this type of pvc trim with a lip on the one edge that could be used as a flashing.

You could always paint the t-111 before you install the flashing and trim board and leave a quarter to three-eighth inch gap so water would have less of a chance to wick up the panel. We always do this with siding that meets a roof or sits on a concrete/wood patio.
Edit.... We usually go 1" against shingles but in this case I would go less.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-07-2011, 10:13 PM
woodbutcherer

View jstange2's Photo Album My Photos
Here is one that explains it better.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-08-2011, 05:04 AM
OLD DUDE AT WORK

View H. A. S.'s Photo Album My Photos
I just did a barn with T 111, and the moisture wicks up the bottom edge. I primed the siding but didn't have time to do all the edges, so eventually I'll see some damage.

Harrison, at your service!
post #11 of 14 Old 03-01-2014, 10:37 PM

View bEabLe4562's Photo Album My Photos

I would recommend Hardiplank. It is very durable. Just look at my signature and it might help you.

Siding Replacement offers 7 brands of siding, professional installation, painting and disposal. We are a local, family owned business with special attention and care to each client and their home.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-01-2014, 11:50 PM

View Sorrowful Jones's Photo Album My Photos
I made a repair like this a few years ago. Worked well. I use a lot of silicon calk. Be sure to completely seal the end grains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00828.227144300_large.jpg
Views:	3364
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	90108  

Attached Images

post #13 of 14 Old 03-01-2014, 11:54 PM

View trc65's Photo Album My Photos
Guys, this thread is 2 1/2 years old. I'm sure Cabinetman has fixed his shed by now!

"Good Behavior is the last refuge of mediocrity" -- Henry S. Haskins
post #14 of 14 Old 03-01-2014, 11:59 PM

View Sorrowful Jones's Photo Album My Photos
DUH! I missed that one

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode