snipe problem on jointer - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-10-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BernieL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Greenville NH
Posts: 1,301
View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
snipe problem on jointer

Hope someone can point me in the right direction here. I'm having a snipe problem on the joiner and I don't think it is human error. No pressure is being applied on the end. I've checked the co-plain and it is good. Here is the odd thing about the snipes...

On my 1st pass, the snipe occurs in its' usual place - on the end of the board. The next pass extends the snipe by about a half inch and every subsequent pass adds about a half inch to the snipe. Is my problem with the knives or drum? Has anyone had this problem before and how did you resolve it?

Thanks for the help or hints, even thoughts on the matter will be appreciated...

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
BernieL is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 01-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Ole Woodworker
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 3,172
View BigJim's Photo Album My Photos
Try holding up on the front end of the board as it comes out of the planer, this sometimes helps, it could be the front of the board isn't supported enough. I found, for me, it helps to apply a little extra lift just before the board comes out.

http://www.diychatroom.com/
The Other
BigJim

If you do what you've always done, you will get what you've always got.

Last edited by BigJim; 01-10-2017 at 11:53 AM.
BigJim is online now  
post #3 of 14 Old 01-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Garland, TX
Posts: 2,060
View Toolman50's Photo Album My Photos
If your outfeed table is adjustable, try raising it a 1/4 turn until the snipe disappears.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you have time to do it over?
Toolman50 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 01-10-2017, 12:14 PM
J L
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 140
View J L's Photo Album My Photos
Many times snipe is caused by the blades being set too high. If you have an adjustable outfeed table, adjust it up until the snipe disappears. Otherwise, check the set of the blades against the plane of the outfeed table. Adjust them down as necessary. Sometimes it is just one blade set slightly high that causes the problem.
J L is online now  
post #5 of 14 Old 01-10-2017, 01:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 3,116
View FrankC's Photo Album My Photos
Is this something that just happened or have changes been made recently?

Have you checked height of blades with outfeed table?

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
― Marcus Aurelius
FrankC
http://sawdustmaking.com
FrankC is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 01-10-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BernieL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Greenville NH
Posts: 1,301
View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
You guys just lit the light on top of old Marble Head - my outfeed isn't adjustable but the blades were just a bit high. I recently returned to the shop but I believe the issue has been going on since the last time I removed the blades too sharpen them. I was probably cutting off the ends of the boards where the snipes occurred...

Anyways - thanks for the lighting - you guys have come through once again.

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
BernieL is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 01-10-2017, 08:59 PM
Moderator
 
Steve Neul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 18,816
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieL View Post
You guys just lit the light on top of old Marble Head - my outfeed isn't adjustable but the blades were just a bit high. I recently returned to the shop but I believe the issue has been going on since the last time I removed the blades too sharpen them. I was probably cutting off the ends of the boards where the snipes occurred...

Anyways - thanks for the lighting - you guys have come through once again.
I hate a jointer like that. I have one I've been needing to sharpen the knives for a year and can't stand the idea of doing it because the rear table isn't adjustable.
Steve Neul is online now  
post #8 of 14 Old 01-10-2017, 09:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Al_Amantea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 146
View Al_Amantea's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
I hate a jointer like that. I have one I've been needing to sharpen the knives for a year and can't stand the idea of doing it because the rear table isn't adjustable.
Yeah, those can suck. I hate sharpening jointer knives.
Have you ever tried one of those quick stones that you can touch up the knives on the machine with?

Follow me on Instagram:
@amanteafinewoodworks
Al_Amantea is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 01-10-2017, 10:38 PM
Moderator
 
Steve Neul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 18,816
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Amantea View Post
Yeah, those can suck. I hate sharpening jointer knives.
Have you ever tried one of those quick stones that you can touch up the knives on the machine with?

Follow me on Instagram:
@amanteafinewoodworks
Stone wouldn't help mine. It's a victim of box store UPC staples.

My jointer is especially difficult. I have to set the knives about a hundredth of an inch below the rear table because the knives lift up that much when you torque the gibs down. My eyesight isn't what it used to be so I end of having to set each knife about a dozen times before I get it just right.
Steve Neul is online now  
post #10 of 14 Old 01-10-2017, 10:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Al_Amantea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 146
View Al_Amantea's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Neul View Post
Stone wouldn't help mine. It's a victim of box store UPC staples.

My jointer is especially difficult. I have to set the knives about a hundredth of an inch below the rear table because the knives lift up that much when you torque the gibs down. My eyesight isn't what it used to be so I end of having to set each knife about a dozen times before I get it just right.
Yeah, setting the knives on mine is about the same. I have spring loaded knives, and it sucks getting them set right.

Follow me on Instagram:
@amanteafinewoodworks
Al_Amantea is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 01-11-2017, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BernieL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Greenville NH
Posts: 1,301
View BernieL's Photo Album My Photos
I finished sharpening the knives today using my fool proof Tormek machine and jointer knives jig (I know the Tormek system is expensive but it works flawlessly) and set them into my my machine... works perfect and the snipes are gone. Set a straight edge on the jointed edge and I have absolutely no light showing through.

I set my magnetic jig on the outfeed table and brought the set screws up to the setting. I then locked the knives at a snug fit, (not a final locked down). That being done, I laid a metal ruler flat side down onto the outfeed table and when I turned the drum, the knives caught the rule... so I backed off the set screws and found the perfect setting. I'm extremely happy with the end result!

Its' never hot or cold in New Hampshire... its' always seasonal.
BernieL is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 01-12-2017, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
woodworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bellaire, OH
Posts: 378
View woodworks's Photo Album My Photos
Not to sound stupid, but maybe I am: Are you guys talking about a joiner, or a plainer???
woodworks is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 01-12-2017, 06:44 PM
where's my table saw?
 
woodnthings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SE, Michigan
Posts: 20,647
View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
The title says "jointer" ...but

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieL View Post
Hope someone can point me in the right direction here. I'm having a snipe problem on the joiner and I don't think it is human error. No pressure is being applied on the end. I've checked the co-plain and it is good. Here is the odd thing about the snipes...

On my 1st pass, the snipe occurs in its' usual place - on the end of the board. The next pass extends the snipe by about a half inch and every subsequent pass adds about a half inch to the snipe. Is my problem with the knives or drum? Has anyone had this problem before and how did you resolve it?

Thanks for the help or hints, even thoughts on the matter will be appreciated...
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworks View Post
Not to sound stupid, but maybe I am: Are you guys talking about a joiner, or a plainer???
Post no. 2 talks about a "planer" .... "holding the board up at the end" It's a jointer, not a planer.

The answer to your question will only be as detailed and specific as the question is detailed and specfic. Good questions also include a sketch or a photo
woodnthings is online now  
post #14 of 14 Old 01-12-2017, 07:18 PM
Moderator
 
Steve Neul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 18,816
View Steve Neul's Photo Album My Photos
I think Jim just made a mistake referring to a planer. Berniel has described problems with a jointer.
Steve Neul is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6" jointer problem of chattering Andys Power Tools & Machinery 1 07-21-2016 09:57 PM
New here! Problem with color transfer even after shellac PattyG General Woodworking Discussion 6 12-25-2015 03:01 AM
Craftsman Jointer Problem Zilbub Power Tools & Machinery 9 10-26-2015 04:55 PM
Jointer woes Froglips Power Tools & Machinery 37 09-19-2015 09:13 AM
Jet jointer 6csx infeed table adjustment problem MJMWOOD Power Tools & Machinery 2 08-24-2015 01:23 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome