Shop built table saw overarm dust collection hood... - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

View Marv's Photo Album My Photos
Shop built table saw overarm dust collection hood...

I've tried several splitter mounted blade guards as well as overarm blade guard/dust collection hoods over the years and all seemed to have drawbacks so I figured I'd just make my own. After reviewing many shop built/commercial hoods/guards I tried a few experiments by combining features and eventually came up with the following simple design to replace the hood on my Biesemeyer overarm guard to reach my objectives which were..
1. allow easy visibility of blade
2. ability to make narrow cuts without removing (I can rip a little less than 3/4" with a push shoe over the fence).
3. allow use with miter gauge/sleds etc (I made mods to miter gauge/sled fences to accommodate)
4. allow use of splitter on all through cuts
5. excellent dust collection with 2 1/2" hose (4" was too cumbersome)
6. easily lifted/locked in place for blade change/angle check etc
7. easily removed when needed (hose easily slips in/out of fitting and only a couple of twists on lock knob to remove completely)
8. ability to lock into position at specific height (added lock knobs to Biesemeyer support)
9. low height to allow easier use of push sticks
10. easy to replace any damaged parts

Cost was zero since I had some 1/4" Lexan as well as the 2 1/2" fittings hanging around and the rest took just a couple pieces of scrap 12mm multi ply birch (actually I wasted quite a bit of wood on several experiments!). It works very well and dust collection is excellent however a bit of dust gets under the hood as the blade exits the wood at the end of the cut so I'm going to add the "mustache" as seen on a couple of designs online (made from door a door sweep). I also plan to build a new support arm to add a couple of other features I would like to have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 07:06 PM
where's my table saw?

View woodnthings's Photo Album My Photos
very well done!

I'd like to see an overall shot of the whole set up. You mentioned you used a Biesemeyer overarm as the basis for the addition. You didn't like the Biese dust hood?

Very clean looking even if there is some dust .... and high visibility throught the hood! I like Lexan for guards myself.

How do you lift the hood up and will it stay put or does gravity keep it down on top of the work?

There is no charge for the free advice, but you get what you pay for ... just sayin'

Last edited by woodnthings; 12-02-2012 at 07:10 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Hobbyist wood-butcher

View thegrgyle's Photo Album My Photos
I really like the look of that dust hood... I am with Bill though, and want to see more of the set up... The arm that the hood is attached too. any chance you can take a pic of the entire setup.

That is really slick though.

Thanks for posting

Fabian

I used to be fairly indecisive, but now....... I'm not so sure.
post #4 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 08:06 PM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
I would also like to see the entire setup as I'm planning to build one for my saw soon. I am not overly concerned about the dust collection, I just want a blade guard as my saw didn't have one when I bought it used and its not available at all now.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
post #5 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys and I'll post more pics in a few minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnthings View Post
I'd like to see an overall shot of the whole set up. You mentioned you used a Biesemeyer overarm as the basis for the addition. You didn't like the Biese dust hood?

Very clean looking even if there is some dust .... and high visibility throught the hood! I like Lexan for guards myself.

How do you lift the hood up and will it stay put or does gravity keep it down on top of the work?
The Biesemeyer hood was too tall for me and I didn't care for the "gravity" action rather preferring to have it "float" slightly above the workpiece. Also, the location up front/angle of the dust collection fitting obstructed the view of the blade and the weight of the hose caused the hood to shift when it was being lifted by the workpiece sliding under. In the pics coming you'll see where I added the lock knobs to the Biesemeyer support arm.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 08:58 PM
No Longer Here

View rrbrown's Photo Album My Photos
How about a picture of the support arm mounting etc.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Biesemeyer dust hood..

I moved the dust collector closer to the saw to get the most suction I could and built the "manifold" seen to accommodate machines on the other side as well. I removed the "restricting plate" from inside the dust collector and connected the hose for the blade guard to a separate blast gate.

Here you can see the 2 lock knobs that were used to replace the bolt in the support arm for the hood lock. Tightening these allows me to lock the hood in at the desired height and loosening them a bit allows me to raise the hood to lock it out of the way as originally intended using the bracket with the "J" slot in it to hook over the bolt.

This knob allows me to slide the entire assembly side to side for blade clearance when beveling, using the miter gauge or getting the hood as close to the blade as possible for narrow rips.

This knob allows me to move the assembly fore/aft or to easily remove the entire hood in just a couple of seconds.

Let me know if this didn't make sense and/or if you'd like more info/more pics of anything specific!
The Following User Says Thank You to Marv For This Useful Post:
thegrgyle (12-03-2012)
post #8 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Hood raised and locked in position..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrown View Post
How about a picture of the support arm mounting etc.
I haven't put the bolts back in yet however you can see how it mounts to the rear fence rail here..

Last edited by Marv; 12-02-2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: wrong picture!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marv For This Useful Post:
rrbrown (12-03-2012), thegrgyle (12-03-2012)
post #9 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Much quicker/easier to adjust with a cam clamp...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marv For This Useful Post:
MSLiechty (08-29-2014), rrbrown (12-03-2012), thegrgyle (12-03-2012), woodnthings (12-02-2012)
post #10 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 10:11 PM

View johnnie52's Photo Album My Photos
Thanks for the photos. I'm going to see if I can figure out some way to make a guard or maybe modify a store bought one. Having had my first table saw accident in over 30 years I don't ever want a repeat performance.

If Woodworking is so much fun why isn't it called WoodFUNNING?

I've made a few videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/johnnie52
post #11 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 08:16 AM

View Fred Hargis's Photo Album My Photos
Well done!

"I long for the days when coke was a cola and a joint was a bad place to be" (Merle Haggard)
post #12 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

You're welcome Johnnie and thanks Fred!
post #13 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 04:21 PM

View Dave Paine's Photo Album My Photos
Very nice design and execution.

I may have to build one myself one day. This could be an excuse to learn how to weld.

Sad thing is my father was a welder for his working life, but he did not have any equipment at home so I never had any lessons.

My elder brother can weld, but he is in the UK and I am in the US. He likes to make things with metal, and I prefer wood.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-03-2012, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Paine View Post
Very nice design and execution.

I may have to build one myself one day. This could be an excuse to learn how to weld.

Sad thing is my father was a welder for his working life, but he did not have any equipment at home so I never had any lessons.

My elder brother can weld, but he is in the UK and I am in the US. He likes to make things with metal, and I prefer wood.
Thanks Dave! I too wish I had learned to weld from my dad however I quickly found that I was more suited to wood so I didn't pay much attention when he tried to teach me.
post #15 of 20 Old 12-11-2012, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Added a new pivoting support which is more rigid, easier to adjust/lock in place and easier to remove...

post #16 of 20 Old 01-15-2014, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Here are a few pics of my new hood that has more suction with the strip brush front/rear and the last one shows what happened today when a small cutoff got sucked up and then hit the blade...

post #17 of 20 Old 12-06-2015, 04:48 PM

View dragonflyoh's Photo Album My Photos
Size of square tubing

What is the size of the square tubing you used for the support arm? I built a overarm dust collector and used wood for the arm and the flexibility of the wood is a issue. Would like to convert to metal.
Thanks.
post #18 of 20 Old 12-06-2015, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflyoh View Post
What is the size of the square tubing you used for the support arm? I built a overarm dust collector and used wood for the arm and the flexibility of the wood is a issue. Would like to convert to metal.
Thanks.
The tubing is actually part of the Biesemeyer overarm guard system and the outer tube is 2" while the inner is 1.75"

Post count on a forum does not denote level of knowledge, skill nor experience
post #19 of 20 Old 12-08-2015, 10:16 AM

View dragonflyoh's Photo Album My Photos
Thank you for the measurements. I have the square tubes to start and would appreciate one more measurement. What is the distance from the top of the table to the top of the cross arm?
Thanks!
post #20 of 20 Old 12-08-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

You're welcome and it's 19" to the top of the cross bar.

Post count on a forum does not denote level of knowledge, skill nor experience

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode