Woodworking Talk banner

Separating previously glued surface

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  RC0244 
#1 ·
I made a directional error when glueing some hardwood parts a few days ago and need to separate these parts, hopefully without damaging the pieces.
The glue used was white carpenter's glue.
The wood is a brazilian hard wood with beautiful grain.
The pieces are glued perpendicular to each other with approximately 2 sq.in. contact surface.
Can anyone help me?
I wonder if hot water would soften the glue enough to pull it apart.
Thank you

#3 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, heat and moisture will not break the bond of PVA-based glues like "white carpenter's glue." Only hide glues will soften up and release their bond with such treatments. I'm guessing you will have to cut the joint, as Steve suggests. Use a thin kerf saw blade.

Do you have a photo of the joint?

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I did not try using hot water after all.
I cut it apart using a thin kerf Japanese pull saw, very carefully prying it apart a little bit at a time, and it worked very well with very slight damage (small slivers of wood pulled apart)

#4 · (Edited)
Sometimes you get lucky using steam and at the same time wedge the 2 pieces apart with stiff paint scraper or chisels.

Use a steam iron or flush lots of water near the joints and CAREFULLY use a heat gun or blow dryer. This will take patience so work slowly. It should come apart.

I have had commercial refinishing and restoration shops before. For antiques with hide glue, i used hot water, or more likely hot coffee because i always had my cup handy. For the more modern glues, i used steam as I said above and many times I used hypodermic needles to inject hot water or hot vinegar into the joint and began prying apart with sharp chisels. Hypo needles were invaluable to me when taking stuff apart. Most pharmacies will not sell them to you. Some will though. If no luck with pharmacy, go to an agricultural supply place and buying the needles are no problem. Get the thinnest you can find.

let us know how it works out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.