Woodworking Talk banner

Scraps Scraps, what to do with all this scrap crap?!?!

3K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  TrevortdogR 
#1 ·
Just pitch it or what can you guys suggest would be s good purpose for it?
Wood woodworking Table Hardwood Carving

This is cherry, maple, walnut various sizes
Wood Table Floor Furniture

See less See more
#4 ·
I keep a scrap box. If ever I have more than will fit in the box I toss out the "worst" scraps until they all fit in the box. Use any size box you like. You always need them for putting under clamps, between your part and the drill press table and so on and for making small parts. But having more than you need is just a waste of space. So just toss the least useful ones that don't fit in your scape box. Don't worry you will make more and never actually run out.

Once I tossed out ALL of them and very shortly had an over supply of them again.

#6 ·
Ah, yes, but my scraps are exotic woods. I have very little in MDF, sheet goods, Oak, or Pine, for instance.

Here's some little 'scrap' pieces I made with Cocobolo, Myrtle Burl, Padauk, and Zebrawood for a coupe of friends -

Attachments

#9 ·
I recently posed this same question to some of my friends. They were quick to suggest my fireplace or my firepit. I always have a hard time parting with the wood, because there are so many different uses for it. Sometimes, I will specifically look for small projects to build with it. Recently, I took a small piece of scrap and drilled holes in it and mounted it below my dartboard to hold darts. There is so much potential in those pictures!

#16 ·
Scraps are only around for a short time. They take up to much space. If I can't use them by the time the project is over I'll donate them to someone's fireplace. Otherwise they go to the mulch pile.

#20 ·
We are planing a move soon (like we are packing now), but we aren't sure where we are landing. It could be Allentown, PA, Roanoke,VA, or Greensboro, NC. Or it could be somewhere else. Depends where the wife gets a job. Therefore, I have to cull my scrap wood pile. Unfortunately, this means that most of the wood is going to end up in the dumpster. I'm trying to think of some small projects that I can use up some of this wood with, so less makes it's way to the incinerator.

#21 ·
Scraps......Walnut,Sapele,Hickory,Mahogany,maple. I have full and partial sheet of Sapele and Walnut. I have full sheets of Ribbon striped Sapele and Maple veneer all considered scraps...

Attachments

#24 ·
I'm not hurting too bad on the scraps. I bought the bar molding at work for $30 and had to cut the 16' pieces down to get them home. The bar rail will be used in my son in laws bar. The maple I have will go in my daughters kitchen for drawers. The walnut and sapele solids are going to be used in my shuffleboard table. Some of the hickory went into the top for my work bench. Unsure yet to the fate of the sapele and maple veneers but I guess I'll need something to do when I retire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.