router vs table saw for dadoes - Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum

post #1 of 15 Old 01-17-2007, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

View Rembrandt60's Photo Album My Photos
router vs table saw for dadoes

Which is best for dadoes? I currently have a PC 7518 fixed base router, but want to know if a table saw with dadoes is better for whatever reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-17-2007, 04:52 PM

View Tommy_Joe's Photo Album My Photos
It maybe a preference issue for thru dados. For stopped dados, there's no choice but a plunge router or use a router table.

For thru dados, I like using the table saw with the dado set. It's easier IMO to control the stock and I get a clean cut end to end.

Tom

Outfitting a Tablesaw with "Saftey" equipment will not protect you from a hand chisel.
http://www.rhodeswoodsmith.com/
post #3 of 15 Old 01-17-2007, 06:53 PM

View joasis's Photo Album My Photos
It depemds on what I am doing...but if I can, I always use a router for 3/4 dados....so much cleaner then a stacked head and no one likes a wobble head.

Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma

www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/

post #4 of 15 Old 01-17-2007, 07:30 PM

View C&D Woodcraft's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
It depends on what I am doing...but if I can, I always use a router for 3/4 dados....so much cleaner then a stacked head and no one likes a wobble head.
Really? The router gives a cleaner cut, even in plywood? I've never tried using the router for dados, just figured the dado blade would be cleaner. Guess what I'm trying tomorrow.

--Darrell
post #5 of 15 Old 01-17-2007, 07:33 PM

View C&D Woodcraft's Photo Album My Photos
Hey, looks like I'm a full-fledged member now. Do I get a certificate or bottle of champagne or something?
post #6 of 15 Old 01-17-2007, 07:54 PM

View Jeremy E's Photo Album My Photos
Router. I've always had good results, and it seems like much less set-up time than fussing with stacked dados...
post #7 of 15 Old 01-17-2007, 08:32 PM

View formula462's Photo Album My Photos
if you use the table saw be sure and use fingers on the fence to hold the work down for consistant depth.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-17-2007, 08:33 PM

View formula462's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&D Woodcraft View Post
Hey, looks like I'm a full-fledged member now. Do I get a certificate or bottle of champagne or something?
i didn't get anything woodcraft so if you do i will feel slighted
post #9 of 15 Old 01-17-2007, 08:35 PM

View joasis's Photo Album My Photos
If I am making anything with a thin wood bottom, like a plywood bottom in a drawer, I use a wobble dado blade...quick to set, and the convex cut doesn't matter....rabbits, I use the table saw, blade height and fence to cut, and dado cuts, I use a clamp on fence and run the router...easy to control, and I can plane wood to fit precisely....at least, that is how I like to do it.

Ladwig Construction
Hennessey, Oklahoma

www.sawmillandtimberforum.com/

post #10 of 15 Old 01-18-2007, 03:39 PM

View dwwright's Photo Album My Photos
I'll use both, just depends on how many I have to do and the size of the work piece, but mostly use the router. Most of the time when building cabinets I don't have any help, so the router is much lighter than strugling to keep a sheet straight. If I've only got a couple to do, it's easy to slap on my guide jig and knock them out with the router also.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Senior Sawdust Producer

View Leo G's Photo Album My Photos
95% of the time I use my tablesaw with a stacked dado. My dado will cut very clean dado's with zero chipout. It's a Freud dado with a 12 tooth blade 2 tooth chippers and a 5 negative rake.

Measure Twice Cut Once -- It's a lot easier to cut more off then it is to cut MORON.
Finishing is 3 parts chemistry and 1 part VooDoo http://lrgwood.com
post #12 of 15 Old 01-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Rob

View Rob's Photo Album My Photos
If I'm using American plywood (read: cheap and full of voids), I will use the router as I have 1/2" and 3/4" bits designed for the "less than advertised thickness". If I'm using Baltic Birch, which I use as often as possible, I will use the stacked dado as I can put in the exact amount of chippers and the fit is perfect. Ain't it weird that metric ply is closer to our own thickness than American is?
post #13 of 15 Old 01-18-2007, 08:37 PM

View clampman's Photo Album My Photos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
.........I will use the router as I have 1/2" and 3/4" bits designed for the "less than advertised thickness". If I'm using Baltic Birch, which I use as often as possible, I will use the stacked dado as I can put in the exact amount of chippers and the fit is perfect.
For cabinet carcasses and the like I use two routers. One set up with a bearing to cut a rabbet in the ends of the bottoms, tops or whatever that leaves 1/2" of stock sticking out 1/4 or 5/16ths. The dadoes in the sides I cut 1/2"wide by 1/4 or 5/16ths strong deep.

The shoulder of the rabbet on the shelves goes towards the visable side. This gives the best looking joint, and it doesn't matter what the thickness the plywood is.

If a shelf is a little too tight in a dado done conventionally, it will cause a kink in the side. If you make it loose, you either get a lousy fit or else have to shim it tight to the visible side before gluing up.

With a rabbet, you can make the buried section loose so it doesn't kink the sides, and get an even better looking joint that with a full width dado.

Regards,
jimc

Last edited by clampman; 01-18-2007 at 08:40 PM.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Rob

View Rob's Photo Album My Photos
Good point.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-20-2007, 02:15 AM
Lee
Senior Member (by age)

View Lee's Photo Album My Photos
Cutting Dados

Hi All;
I may as well put in my two cents. We us a Forrest stacked dado set, and metal shims.

We have a stack of "templates" made from MDF with dados cut in them.
Since we buy different brands of plywood, and they all vary in thickness, we put the template on the edge of the plywood, (or hardwood), to see which one fits properly. Each template lists which stacked chippers to use, with which metal shims. It took longer to write this than it does to actually do it.

A hold down is required, as the plywood may have some warp to it. We also use the table saw for stopped dados, by putting a pencil mark on the fence, marking where to start, and where to stop. We prefer the table saw mainly due to the dust collection system.
As far as getting a straight cut over an eight foot length, we use the ezee-feed device, so that is not an issue. Not meant to be a plug for ezee-feed, but it does make it easy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Woodworking Talk - Woodworkers Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode